VancBCMan

Any feedback or suggestions on my plans for the 1st trip to South America in Sept 2023 will be appreciated

I am hoping to get some suggestions and comments regarding my first trip to South America, which will start in early Sept 2023.

This being my first trip to South America, I will take a group tour (already booked) to visit Chile, Argentina and Brazil. Peru was included in my initial plans, but with the current situation there, I have now dropped that from the countries I will visit. This is 2-week tour covering 3 countries. The tour starts in Santiago, Chile, then on to Argentina and ends in Rio.

I wish to tack on a couple of cities before the tour starts and then stay over in Brazil for few more days after the group tour ends.

I have been to a few of the Asian countries and was in Bangkok in mid-February of this year. I have never been to South America, so this will be my first trip.

I have read several posts here from those who have been there and rave about the time they have had. I have also read that there is security issue in a number of cities, so one has to be aware of that: mindful of the surroundings and also when meeting individuals outside of places that can be considered to be more safe (eg saunas).

I am thinking of the itinerary outlined below.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I should add (days and cities) or exclude (or shorten amount of time) in the cities outlined?
I will truly appreciate feedback from those who have been there before.

Outside of the group tour, my plan is to stay in a city longer than a couple of days.
So not planning to pack in too many cities, where I would only stay for 1-2 nights.

Currently planned:

• Fly to Medellin from Western Canada
  • Medellin:  10 days
  • Bogota: 4 days
  • Santiago, Chile: 2 days prior to start of group tour
  • Group Tour of Chile, Argentina and Brazil 14 days (booked already)
  • Rio: 10 days after group tour
  • In between the stay in Rio, visit São Paulo for 4 days
  • Fly back from Rio to Western Canada

I will book the international flights once I have somewhat finalized my plans.

Thank you!

48 minutes ago, Riobard said:

Will the Brazil portion of the group tour and the exact entry date occur prior to October 1st?

Group tour entry into Brazil (Iguassu Falls) is exactly on the evening of Oct 1.

Is there something I should be aware of about that date?

10 hours ago, Boy69 said:

Medellin 10 days seems too much,what are you planning to do there so long

Some sightseeing and meet the local boys? lol

What is a good amount of time to spend there, in your view?

Should I visit Cali for a few days instead and spend less time in Medellin?

27 minutes ago, VancBCMan said:

Group tour entry into Brazil (Iguassu Falls) is exactly on the evening of Oct 1.

Is there something I should be aware of about that date?

Sorry, ignore my question. Found the answer. Some countries require a Visa starting Oct 1st

Cartagena only if you like sticky hot weather in a city. Beaches are not too nice and you need to commute (boat, car) somewhere for a nice beach. Old city is nice. Friend of mine says Hilton Cartagena has own ok beach, no vendors getting on your nerves, he likes spending time there. If we exclude romantic affairs, I liked mostly central areas like Pereira, Salento, Cocoa valley (excellent hiking), Guatape, Santa Rosa de Cabal thermal waters. I will try next time Tayrona Park, Cali and some parks not too far from Bogota. Pereira Salamander Sauna was interesting, mostly rather empty, but always few hot guys ready for action. I saw one young and very attractive massage guy but I was ready for that day. I was never bored in Bogota and it has many cool places just to hang around, lots of students. Medellin is surprisingly touristic and only place where I saw something like a crime - kids stealing something/running away and police chasing them, it was 3am Sunday morning in a center which was filled with semidrunk tourists (me included)😀. But its true - the weather and the scenery is beautiful.

7 hours ago, Tomtravel said:

Cartagena only if you like sticky hot weather in a city. 

In Cartagena in September, there's a 79% chance of rain on an average day. (October is even rainier.) And the average high temperature is 89F, with an average low of 78F. 

That is both sticky and hot, as you say! And it's kinda the same EVERY month of the year, with drier weather in a few months. 

Its perfect who likes outdoor activities in mountains with vegetation, amazing sights, mountain rivers, hiking routes and of course the wax palms. Clean, safe, many tourists, easy to commute from Pereira. I saw a small information table about puma along the route. Requires certain fitness, its always either going up or down😀.

• Members

The entirety of the coffee region/eje cafetero is wonderful travel and just a 40 minute flight from Medellín downtown airport. Take a look at Pereira, Armenia, Pereira for a stay. All within easy travel to Salento or Filandia for coffee and urban excursions. Also look into the termales - natural hot springs attractions in the region. As stated, the scenery is spectacular and there is plenty of options for tours-hiking-things to see if you love stunning nature. Enjoy your trip!

On 3/28/2023 at 5:05 AM, Tomtravel said:

either going up or down

I did a lot of walking up and down steep hills before my trip and it really made a difference. Especially on a coffee farm I visited. I found the downtown centre of Manizales, near Pereira, had a lot more character. But the people in both cities were wonderful, as they were in most places in Colombia I went to. Bogota was the only city where it was like most big cities in the world.

Thank you

On 3/27/2023 at 7:29 PM, mixer17 said:

Soooooo much flying.   I did a trip like this in Europe a few years ago, to do little previews of each city.   Kind of regret not lingering in cities I was truly interested in.

True, lot of flying. Basically wanted a preview of the 3 countries by going on a group tour - Chile, Argentina and Brazil. Have added several days in Colombia at the beginning and then several days in Rio/SP at the end. Yes, still lot of flying.

So much of the world to see, so I feel it's OK. Covered some countries in Europe last Spring and then 3 countries in Africa, plus BKK - this last winter. Pent up desire to travel after staying home for 2 years, so it was catch up time!

Each time, I tell myself to visit fewer cities and stay longer, but so many places to see. And since I'm not sure if and when I will be back in that Region, I fail to follow my own advice in the end and still pack in lots of places.

• Members
On 3/28/2023 at 10:29 AM, mixer17 said:

Soooooo much flying.   I did a trip like this in Europe a few years ago, to do little previews of each city.   Kind of regret not lingering in cities I was truly interested in.  

You can always go back later and have a more in-depth visit to the cities you like.