Lonnie

David Geffen Marries Hunk

• Members
Well why not? :thumbsu:

Celebrity Exclusive: Wedding Bells Ring for Media Mogul David Geffen And Much Younger...

Exclusive: Wedding Bells Ring for Media Mogul David Geffen And Much Younger Boyfriend

by Roger Friedman - March 14, 2023 7:01 pm
0 18248
Geffen-1068x712-1-700x352.jpg

Exclusive: Sources tell me David Geffen got married over the weekend.

The 80 year old billionaire wed his 30 year old boyfriend Donovan Michaels in Beverly Hills, they say. Two couples attended the small ceremony which was held in the shroud of secrecy.

Congrats to all.

Geffen, a media mogul, is said to be worth $7.7 billion. He’s used much of his wealth in enormous acts of philanthropy, endowing museums, arts centers, and hospitals.

In the past Geffen was famously linked with Cher. But in more recent years he’s had a string of boyfriends. And now he’s tied the knot. Joni Mitchell sang that Geffen was a “free man in Paris” once. No more!

A closer look at Mr. Michaels:

https://www.youtube.com/@donovanmichaels4550/videos

On 3/16/2023 at 9:57 AM, Ruthrieston said:

You are such a cynic Mr Vinapu, love can be real even between vastly wealthy 80 year olds and incredibly sexy 30 year olds, really, good for them and I wish them both great happiness. 

I quite agree. Difference in age is often only in the eye of the beholder. A vast difference in wealth, though, is a different matter. If the marriage lasts, the young man is almost certainly going to be heir to an unimaginable fortune. That said, though, we should recognise that David Geffen has given very substantial amounts to various charitable and philanthropic causes. Recently he was the lead donor having given $100 million to the campaign to totally renovate the previously named Avery Fisher Hall in New York's Lincoln Center, home of the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. Having had two disastrous renovations since opening in the 1960s, finally after almost 60 years the Hall is now acclaimed by audiencers, musicians and critics a like as superb.

• Members
On 3/16/2023 at 7:52 PM, Mavica said:

Keanu Reeves was publicly linked to Geffen for a long time ... accurate or not.  However, if this current report is accurate (not certain it is)...

Marriage certificates are a matter of public record in California. If someone's interested in whether this report is accurate or not, finding out the truth's not difficult. 

3 hours ago, unicorn said:

Marriage certificates are a matter of public record in California. If someone's interested in whether this report is accurate or not, finding out the truth's not difficult. 

Ok.  What's your point?  There's no registry of "linked" or common law partners in the USA.  ✔️

• Members
21 hours ago, Mavica said:

Ok.  What's your point?  There's no registry of "linked" or common law partners in the USA.  ✔️

The point is that every county (or parish in Louisiana) has public records of all marriages, which anyone can access if they're interested (obviously also available to news reporters). There is no such thing as common-law marriage in most US states, including California, where Mr. Geffen resides. And the OP wasn't speculating on a possible common law mariage. Since same-sex marriage became legal in California, few people avail themselves of registered domestic partnerships (it has all of the problems of marriage with few of the benefits), but those are a matter of public record as well. 

On 3/22/2023 at 12:25 PM, unicorn said:

Yep -- it's so easy in Los Angeles County!

Records are available for marriages where the license was issued in Los Angeles County since 1852. In addition to certificates on file, there are indexes of marriages available for public inspection as follows:

Marriages from 1852 to the present

Records of confidential marriages performed pursuant to Family Code Section 500 are not available for public review.

Certificates and indexes may be examined at no charge unless an employee is requested to search and/or retrieve more than five records. Random searches of the indexes or the certificates are not allowed. 

An application is required for each record searched. Information sufficient to identify the requested record must be provided. You will be asked to provide identification.

Make an Appointment
Appointments can be scheduled up to three (3) weeks in advance.

• Members
2 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

Yep -- it's so easy in Los Angeles County!

Records are available for marriages where the license was issued in Los Angeles County since 1852. In addition to certificates on file, there are indexes of marriages available for public inspection as follows:

Marriages from 1852 to the present

Records of confidential marriages performed pursuant to Family Code Section 500 are not available for public review.

Certificates and indexes may be examined at no charge unless an employee is requested to search and/or retrieve more than five records. Random searches of the indexes or the certificates are not allowed. 

An application is required for each record searched. Information sufficient to identify the requested record must be provided. You will be asked to provide identification.

Make an Appointment
Appointments can be scheduled up to three (3) weeks in advance.

I will certainly admit that I didn't know California allowed confidential marriages. I'd obviously never heard of this, and if they're granted routinely, then I was wrong about all marriages in California being a matter of public record. Other than that, there's no difficulty in finding the record, nor, according to what you wrote, even any cost involved as long as one doesn't ask for more than 5 records at the same time. There are websites which will apparently do it for a fee. Never tried them, though. 

6 hours ago, unicorn said:

The point is that every county (or parish in Louisiana) has public records of all marriages, which anyone can access if they're interested (obviously also available to news reporters). There is no such thing as common-law marriage in most US states, including California, where Mr. Geffen resides. And the OP wasn't speculating on a possible common law mariage. Since same-sex marriage became legal in California, few people avail themselves of registered domestic partnerships (it has all of the problems of marriage with few of the benefits), but those are a matter of public record as well. 

Obviously, you have not comprehended what I wrote. 

• Members
8 hours ago, thaiophilus said:

I think you're arguing across each other. The question turns on what Mavica meant by "publicly linked".

Linked in the eyes of the public, as in "everybody knows that..." or "formally linked (in marriage or similar) by a public ceremony"?

Then his statement was an irrelevant/non-responsive post. The question is whether or not the two have legally married. I pointed out that marriages are a matter of public record. Marc pointed out that in California (and, as it turns out, only in California) there is such a thing as "confidential marriages," of which I was not aware. Apparently, this quirk in the law, which dates to the 19th century, is unique in California. Since these two live in California, therefore, I was wrong about the marriage being a matter of public record, if it was performed as a confidential marriage. One learns something new every day. California is an exception (if the spouses want to make the effort) to the rule of all marriages being public:

https://www.zocalopublicsquare.org/2013/06/19/go-ahead-keep-your-marriage-secret/ideas/connecting-california/

"I’m going to let you in on confidential marriage, an only-in-California concoction that is little known but deeply relevant to today’s debates about marriage. Confidential marriage is in most respects the same as any old legal marriage—solemnized and binding. But confidential marriage licenses, unlike regular marriage licenses, are not part of the public record. And confidential marriage is limited to couples who are already living together...".

I've lived just about my entire life in California and never heard about this, nor have I known anyone to get a confidential marriage. That being said, it is out there--presumably for big-name celebrities to keep things secret.