WelshGuyUK

Medicine ( when travelling for extended periods)

Hi everyone

I think I will be travelling for more extended periods in time to come ( maybe 6 months Thailand / 6 Month in UK).

I am wondering how I will be able to get 6 months medication for my diabetes. I haven't asked the surgery yet.

Has anyone any ideas how I would cope as I can only have 1 months supply at a time here in UK. 

Thanks in advance 👍

I use the chemist in the local Tescos for my prescriptions.

The surgery issues me an annual prescription which I collect monthly. However Tescos will give me 3 months on request. ( provided there are at least 3 months remaining).

I have not asked for longer.

The other thing to bear in mind is that you are only supposed to enter Thailand with only one months worth of items. In nearly 20 years I have never been stopped and do not know anyone who has.

It is recommended to carry them in your carry on luggage in case they lose your checked in baggage. 

Doctors in Canada can prescribe for a longer period in special circumstances, but actually getting the pills for six months might be a bigger challenge, especially through an insurance plan. I wonder if Thai pharmacies accept foreign prescriptions.

3 hours ago, xpaulo said:

Doctors in Canada can prescribe for a longer period in special circumstances, but actually getting the pills for six months might be a bigger challenge, especially through an insurance plan. I wonder if Thai pharmacies accept foreign prescriptions.

why not to go to doctor in Thailand and ask for prescription for drug you are taking at home ?

Yes , some pharmacies will accept foreign prescriptions, again speaking from experience

• Members

11 hours ago, Londoner said:

It is wise to carry a copy of your prescription issued by your GP.

Very good idea as you can be sure the strength, dosage, etc of the Rx is correct.

I take prescription meds for asthma/allergies.  In Bangkok, I use the Chula Besaj pharmacy on Rama IV between Silom Rd & Surawong.  It's a big, busy place & they have everything I need.  Generally, no prescription required.

23 hours ago, gerefan said:

I use the chemist in the local Tescos for my prescriptions.

The surgery issues me an annual prescription which I collect monthly. However Tescos will give me 3 months on request. ( provided there are at least 3 months remaining).

I have not asked for longer.

The other thing to bear in mind is that you are only supposed to enter Thailand with only one months worth of items. In nearly 20 years I have never been stopped and do not know anyone who has.

It is recommended to carry them in your carry on luggage in case they lose your checked in baggage. 

Thanks for the advice....very interesting 👍

3 hours ago, forky123 said:

You don't mention which Diabetes drug it is. Metformin for instance is widely available in Thailand without prescription. 

Ah, great thanks, but there are a few medications including Met or in, Gkiclacide and something else I can't remember. 

Thanks everyone for the advice 👍

Generic drugs are generally of good standard and quality in Thailand. The Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) produces generic equivalents for many off-patent drugs. There are also a number of good quality private sector pharmaceutical manufacturers.  

This sector of the market is fairly well regulated and the high volume pharmacies on Rama 4 between Silom & Suriwong are reputable and trustworthy.  

Also good to keep in mind that Thailand can sometimes negotiate a lower price for newer drugs not-off-patent. The exact same drug sold in the West but sold at a lower tiered price. 

There are a number of private sector pharmaceutical organizations that interface with government to facilitate pharmacies to provide low cost generic drugs with broader access (than the West), as well as advice for customers. 

This greatly relieves the burden on the public sector's universal health care system.

There's a couple places on Rama IV that I go to (just around the corner of Surawong), Chula is one and the other is a small store next to it, never had any problems getting my medication (without prescription) from either but I do take in the empty pill packet so they can see exactly what I need. 

On 3/20/2023 at 5:00 AM, vinapu said:

Chula Besaj ? no, not 24 hrs operation unless it changed VERY recently. In May I bought something there exactly at time when they were ready to close but yes , they still went back and sold me what I asked for 

I used them for years bringing my monthly medications, from hospital 2500 Baht.to half that.
Now I use MEDISAFE , order online and cheaper than Chula AND they deliver within a day or two .
I buy a couple of month's supply at a time including Metformin 500.

The only pharmacy that might be a bit picky is Boots. They even refused to stock Imodium Instants.

I've never needed a prescription in Thailand except for a cough mixture containing codeine.

Many diabetic medicines can be purchased over the counter at Thai pharmacies without a prescription. 

I prefer the Fascino pharmacy and there are many of them.  You might want to go to Fascino's Facebook page, switch over to English, click on 'Contact Us' and ask if they carry what you're using - or a generic equivalent - and if it can be purchased over the counter.  You might also ask them about their prices.

https://www.facebook.com/fascinohealthcarethailand/