Riobard

“Line” communication app …

• Members

I’m a bit mystified by a feature of Line that contrasts with WhatsApp. For the latter you sync your contacts and when you chat you simply scroll to the same name as in Contacts. In contrast, Line asks for, and users apparently utilize, a registration name handle like one sees for Instagram, Twitter, etc.

I wish to keep it simple. I only probably need to use Line minimally for the foreseeable future and for very few contacts, though they are likely less of a Luddite and perhaps will accommodate my WhatsApp preference. 

But Line users here can enlighten me? I was asked by a few Asian tourism facilitators via e-mail to set up Line but should I leave them out of my Contacts list and ask them what their handle names are and search on the application for these handles to initiate communication?

I'm not the most proficient Line user, but I think it's better that it's based on username rather than phone number since when I am traveling I am not using my home SIM and don't have access to my home phone number. I seem to recall that you can search your contacts to see who is on Line.

My current problem is navigating around the way all of the massage shops use Line

• Members
21 minutes ago, fedssocr said:

I'm not the most proficient Line user, but I think it's better that it's based on username rather than phone number since when I am traveling I am not using my home SIM and don't have access to my home phone number. I seem to recall that you can search your contacts to see who is on Line.

My current problem is navigating around the way all of the massage shops use Line

I’ll be using my usual cellular with roaming features, not a local SIM, and likely not for sexcapades. There’s plenty of time left to grasp the nuances by then and I will have likely figured it out by others weighing in and by ensuring it’s clearly set up ahead with the folks meeting me on arrival. I prefer ‘when in Rome’ over requesting they set up WhatsApp. 

• Members
6 minutes ago, Riobard said:

I’ll be using my usual cellular with roaming features, not a local SIM, and likely not for sexcapades. There’s plenty of time left to grasp the nuances by then and I will have likely figured it out by others weighing in and by ensuring it’s clearly set up ahead with the folks meeting me on arrival. I prefer ‘when in Rome’ over requesting they set up WhatsApp. 

I have never used a phone number to find someone on line, I use the ID or the QR code of the person I am looking for, or I share mine. 

48 minutes ago, Tartegogo said:

I have never used a phone number to find someone on line, I use the ID or the QR code of the person I am looking for, or I share mine. 

You can add people in Line with just phone number if that's what you are looking for, though most people use the Line ID  or the QR code. I definitely prefer Line over Whatsapp, even if just for their endless stickers. I go from time to time to their store in LA (there is always a large number of Asian twinks roaming that place)

One thing to keep in mind if you are using Line. It stores the videos and photos other people send you just for two weeks, unless you explicitly save them. Lost a good number of videos from this hot Thai twink and his encounters with farangs in Bangkok, when I first started using Line.

• Members
4 hours ago, scott456 said:

With WhatsApp, you use your phone number to register, and you can use that whatsapp account even if you switch to a different sim card or phone number. 

I’ve used WhatsApp for years. I thought the only signature was your phone number through the internet. If you change the SIM is your profile the same? How does the empty SIM slot transfer that data when a different chip is inserted? I thought it would be ground zero, unlike changing a social media handle on one’s account. Does the new SIM connect to your existing WhatsApp automatically? You don’t need to alert family/friends of the new number abroad in case they need to contact you on the platform? 

• Members
1 hour ago, Riobard said:

I’ve used WhatsApp for years. I thought the only signature was your phone number through the internet. If you change the SIM is your profile the same? How does the empty SIM slot transfer that data when a different chip is inserted? I thought it would be ground zero, unlike changing a social media handle on one’s account. Does the new SIM connect to your existing WhatsApp automatically? You don’t need to alert family/friends of the new number abroad in case they need to contact you on the platform? 

All I can tell you is, I have been using the same Whatsapp account for years, and have changed 3 phones, at least 3 phone numbers and sim cards, and I was able to change my phone number in my Whatsapp account at least once (don’t remember all the details but it was definitely doable)

2 hours ago, Riobard said:

My understanding is that the phone number is only used once (to receive an SMS or missed call for 2-factor authentication) when you create the account. Once it's set up, WhatsApp uses that phone number only as an account identifier, not for making calls, and doesn't interact with any of your SIMs at all. The messaging is done via secure TCP/IP over WiFi or mobile data, not via SMS.

• Members

Got it.

It’s now set up for text use like for WhatsApp. And my intended contacts are showing up.

The difference is that one’s Line ID must be unique (available) and one’s Display Name can be different from Line ID. If I have this right, Display Name can be John Smith, but ID johnsmith likely scooped up ages ago. One of the contacts seems to have not entered a display name and shows up on Line as how I named them in my smartphone contacts. In contrast, another contact shows up with both a display name and an ID distinctive from how I typed that name in Contacts. 

Looks like a lot of bells and whistles but simple texting appears easy enough. 

5 hours ago, Riobard said:

Got it.

It’s now set up for text use like for WhatsApp. And my intended contacts are showing up.

The difference is that one’s Line ID must be unique (available) and one’s Display Name can be different from Line ID. If I have this right, Display Name can be John Smith, but ID johnsmith likely scooped up ages ago. One of the contacts seems to have not entered a display name and shows up on Line as how I named them in my smartphone contacts. In contrast, another contact shows up with both a display name and an ID distinctive from how I typed that name in Contacts. 

Looks like a lot of bells and whistles but simple texting appears easy enough. 

and that's just the version of Line avaiable outside Asia, but in certain is much more than simple messaging app. It's what is called a SuperApp, similar to WeChat in China.

You can use Line to pay for things, to order things online, to watch TV, to play games, etc, etc.