zombie

Based in Pattaya: we all need to be very careful re scammers....

"According to Gen. Torsak, a group of Indian and Thai nationals formed a call center gang to scam retirees in the United States. The group swindled money from the victims by saying the victims were involved in legal cases, posing themselves as FBI officers, or hacking the victims’ computers. Between 2020-2021, there were 72,000 reported cases with damages totaling more than 3 billion baht.

The victims varied in occupations, such as doctors, university professors, dentists, military personnel, and business owners, Gen. Torsak said. Most of them were swindled out of their hard-earned life savings."

UPDATE: Pattaya Police Holds Press Briefing into Massive Indian Scam Syndicate Bust - The Pattaya News

Although I have a landline as part of my broadband package, I don't have a phone attached to it and just use my mobile. I don't answer my mobile if I don't recognise the number unless I'm expecting a call from that area code. I find cold callers generally don't leave a message where anyone genuine will. It also allows me to check numbers without answering a call. I answer few spam calls after these simple precautions.