reader

Pattaya tourist survives bungee jump fall after cord snaps

From CNN

Some thrill seekers describe bungee jumping as a near-death experience, but few come quite as close as one man who managed to survive his cord snapping in Thailand.

Footage of the terrifying ordeal went viral this week after the 39-year-old tourist from Hong Kong went public with his story.

The tourist, who asked to use only his first name Mike to avoid online harassment, took a swan dive off of a 10-story-high podium in the town of Pattaya while on holiday in January this year.

Fortunately, the jump was made over a body of water. The bungee rope snapped milliseconds before Mike neared the bottom of his jump, slamming him into the water below.

“I landed on my left side so the injuries were more serious there,” Mike told CNN, recounting how he was left covered in bruises. “It was as if someone just beat me up real bad.”

“It was really high so I closed my eyes. I planned to open my eyes again when I bounced back up,” said Mike. “I realized the cord had snapped when I opened my eyes and I was surrounded by water.”

He managed to resurface and swim despite his feet being tied together by the lower half of the snapped bungee cord.

His plunge was witnessed by friends who were with him at the Changthai Thappraya Safari and Adventure Park.

Located in the northwest of Pattaya, the amusement park offers activities ranging from ziplines to live-round shooting.

Mike said the park refunded the cost of his jump and paid for x-ray and ultrasound scans in Thailand.

Continues with video

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/tourist-survives-bungee-jump-fall-in-thailand-after-cord-snaps/ar-AA18YK5Z

I watched this on tv last night. I have never bungee jumped in my life and, despite the obvious thrill participants get, I will not do so in future. Imagine if that cord had snapped higher in the jump, or if the terra firma below had been other than water. I guess the park would also have paid to scrape the poor man's remains off the ground! 🤔