reader

Heat shock: Bangkok to hit scorching 45.8C

On 4/9/2023 at 4:35 AM, Londoner said:

Has anyone any memories of pre-a/c Bangkok? I shudder when I recall nights in West African hotels with only a fan...and sometimes not even that.

Not there before 1997, but brings to mind the smells that used to waft up from the sidewalk sewers of yesteryear with the temps…

On 4/9/2023 at 4:35 PM, Londoner said:

Has anyone any memories of pre-a/c Bangkok? I shudder when I recall nights in West African hotels with only a fan...and sometimes not even that.

In 1979 most decent Bangkok hotels had air-conditioning. Even the Rose Hotel in Suriwong and the Royal Hotel near Sanam Luang, both of which would have struggled to gain more than 2 stars, had a/c.

Perhaps interesting, Government House in Hong Kong did not have a/c installed until the start of 1979! How the Goverors put up with the heat and especially the summer humidity before then I shudder to think.

10 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Perhaps interesting, Government House in Hong Kong did not have a/c installed until the start of 1979! How the Goverors put up with the heat and especially the summer humidity before then I shudder to think.

I lived in HK for three years from 1960. Thee was no aircon anywhere. Not even at school. Never bothered me!