unicorn

SCOTUS may have gotten in right in this instance

• Members

I haven't been agreeing much with the SCOTUS these days, but they may have gotten in right here:

https://apnews.com/article/supreme-court-transgender-sports-west-virginia-64d2fd48678afb1a62e5eb84d7762c31

"The Supreme Court on Thursday allowed a 12-year-old transgender girl in West Virginia to continue competing on her middle school’s girls sports teams while a lawsuit over a state ban continues. The justices refused to disturb an appeals court order that made it possible for the girl, Becky Pepper-Jackson, to continue playing on her school’s track and cross-country teams, where she regularly finishes near the back of the pack.

Justices Samuel Alito and Clarence Thomas would have allowed West Virginia to enforce its law against Pepper-Jackson. Pepper-Jackson is in the middle of the outdoor track season. She had filed a lawsuit challenging the law, the Save Women’s Sports Act, which West Virginia lawmakers adopted in 2021. A federal appeals court had allowed her to compete while she appealed a lower court ruling that upheld the West Virginia law..."

I can't imagine why one would ban trans girls or women from competing in amateur sports. That would just be mean-spirited. Yes, there are certain sports (for example volleyball and swimming) for which trans women have an unfair advantage, so I can understand restrictions on levels where $$$ are involved (either the professional level or in the competition for college scholarships). A ban on the amateur level, however, doesn't serve any purpose, other than to be nasty. 

• Members
4 hours ago, unicorn said:

I haven't been agreeing much with the SCOTUS these days, but they may have gotten in right here:

https://apnews.com/article/supreme-court-transgender-sports-west-virginia-64d2fd48678afb1a62e5eb84d7762c31

I can't imagine why one would ban trans girls or women from competing in amateur sports. That would just be mean-spirited. Yes, there are certain sports (for example volleyball and swimming) for which trans women have an unfair advantage, so I can understand restrictions on levels where $$$ are involved (either the professional level or in the competition for college scholarships). A ban on the amateur level, however, doesn't serve any purpose, other than to be nasty

And isnt that EXACTLY the point for them👎

• Members

Clarence Thomas,  he been pimpin off the old white dudes all these years, and now wants to deny Americans their basic human rights.....

Where's the justice here ?     He lives the American dream while depriving actual Americans of THEIR dreams......

Our country NEEDS new laws.

If you're curious how Clarence Thomas went from abandoned, dirt-poor boy in Savannah to Malcom X radical, to anti-affirmative action advocate, to darling of the  the GOP, public television series Frontline tells the story in its latest episode available on demand for a limited time.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/documentary/clarence-and-ginni-thomas/

2 hours ago, reader said:

If you're curious how Clarence Thomas went from abandoned, dirt-poor boy in Savannah to Malcom X radical, to anti-affirmative action advocate, to darling of the  the GOP, public television series Frontline tells the story in its latest episode available on demand for a limited time.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/documentary/clarence-and-ginni-thomas/

I was watching Finding Your Roots on PBS last night and, afterwards, the new edition of the 90 minute Frontline show started and I watched it.  The research and presentation of their lives was illuminating.  It helps to understand how and why they got to this point in their lives.  Troubling, as well.