zombie

Stole his heart....and his Gold!

A Thai man filed a complaint with the police in Samut Prakarn province near Bangkok yesterday after his boyfriend stole over 200,000 baht of gold accessories.

The victim, a 69 year old man named Songchai “Noobird” Maicharoen, allowed reporters from Channel 3 to visit his house to conduct an interview regarding the theft case. The house of the alleged thief’s boyfriend, a 28 year old man named Geng, is located only 50 metres away from Noobird’s home.

Noobird revealed that he and Geng had been in a relationship for about six months, and had no idea that Geng had a habit of stealing as he was introverted. On the day of the incident, Geng was at home alone because Noobird visited a neighbour. Upon returning home, he discovered that Geng was already gone, along with his valuable assets.

Noobird further disclosed that Geng knew where he kept all his gold accessories. The stolen items included three gold bracelets, one gold necklace, one gold ring, and a watch worth over 200,000 baht. Geng has not returned to his house and blocked Noobird’s phone and social media accounts.

Man is heartbroken after boyfriend steals over 200,000 baht of gold accessories | Thaiger (thethaiger.com)

20 hours ago, vinapu said:

I didn't know you know that Geng

I wish I had 1 baht for every time I've heard similar stories over the years - farang losing fortunes to boys they trusted with their lives.  And straight men losing fortunes to girlfriends and even wives.  I love it every time I hear a farang say "Not this boy.  He's different."  Yeah, right . . .

Miller:  "You don't trust anyone, do you?"

Stavros: "That is why I have lived so long."

Miller (David Niven), Stavros (Anthony Quinn), 'The Guns of Navarone'

9 hours ago, reader said:

The answer is in not trusting everyone but be open to trusting some. Otherwise, like Stavros, you may indeed succeed in leading a very long but very lonely life.

I disagree unless you can give me a good reason why a Thai boyfriend, or anyone else for that matter, should have access to your money, gold accessories, or any other valuable temptations - and why protecting your assets means you may end up living a very lonely life. 

Do you have someone you trust so much that the possibility exists for something similar to what happened to the OP could happen to you?  Is that what it takes to avoid leading a lonely life?

13 hours ago, reader said:

What I did say was that if we lead a life in fear of developing trusting relationships we risk leading a very lonely one.

"Trust, but verify"

-  Ronald Reagan

What, in your opinion, constitutes a trusting relationship?  Just how far and to what extent are you willing to let that trust go?  I too believe in developing a trusting relationship, but I'm not going to be naive about it.  I've seen too many times when farang became totally comfortable with their relationship, completely trusted the boyfriend, and was certain nothing could ever go wrong.   Then it went wrong.  Lives were ruined.  So, if you truly believe it is a good idea to trust the boyfriend to the point where he has access to your money and valuables, fine with me.  After all, in a million years he would never dream of doing anything like that. 

Famous last words:  "Not this boy.  He's different."

Does anyone remember Richard Burk, who was the owner of the Amor restaurant in Boyztown?  I always loved his advice.  I'll let you folks decide for yourselves whether I abide by it.  But I think many of you at least will understand just why he advised it - and he meant it:

"If you want love in Thailand, rent it."

1 hour ago, Gaybutton said:

"Trust, but verify"

-  Ronald Reagan

What, in your opinion, constitutes a trusting relationship?  Just how far and to what extent are you willing to let that trust go?  I too believe in developing a trusting relationship, but I'm not going to be naive about it.  I've seen too many times when farang became totally comfortable with their relationship, completely trusted the boyfriend, and was certain nothing could ever go wrong.   Then it went wrong.  Lives were ruined.  So, if you truly believe it is a good idea to trust the boyfriend to the point where he has access to your money and valuables, fine with me.  After all, in a million years he would never dream of doing anything like that. 

Famous last words:  "Not this boy.  He's different."

Does anyone remember Richard Burk, who was the owner of the Amor restaurant in Boyztown?  I always loved his advice.  I'll let you folks decide for yourselves whether I abide by it.  But I think many of you at least will understand just why he advised it - and he meant it:

"If you want love in Thailand, rent it."

Yes I agree most of the relationships between falang and Thai collapse eventually and it doesn't matter if it's because the Thai boyfriend was a gold digger or because the falang found new younger model to replace his current Thai boyfriend, maybe there are some 'happy ending' cases but they really the minority and not the majority.

9 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

"Trust, but verify"

-  Ronald Reagan

Yes, by all means trust the man who couldn't even say AIDS during the years when it was devastating the gay community.

9 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

So, if you truly believe it is a good idea to trust the boyfriend to the point where he has access to your money and valuables, fine with me.  After all, in a million years he would never dream of doing anything like that.

Again, Gaybutton, I've never said that. You're the one who keeps repeating as if it's some sort of obsession. This may come as a revelation, but it's actually possible to have relationships that don't involve giving another person access to your valuables.

But I know when you're not busy quoting Dutch you're actually a hopeless romantic at heart. 🙂

I don't know how many of the 'serious' long term relationship between falang and Thai based on true love, I assume many cases based on interest : The falang needs someone by his side  not to be lonely and the Thai want to get out of the sex industry for example, and there're many other reasons why the two decided to establish long term relationship not based on mutual love.