Bruno

Living in Cairo as a gay expat

• Members

Thanks for the report!    I’m so eager to return to Egypt.   I’d like to spend a month traveling to various parts of the country.  I’m especially interested in seeing the southern regions where North Africa fades into Nubian lands.  Did you find much difference between regions in Cairo when it comes to hooking up?   

On 5/8/2023 at 9:34 PM, speedoo1 said:

Thank you for the detailed report.

One Q: I assume that the Egyptians are mostly top. Do they fuck w/ condom?

The majority was top indeed. I had condoms on me and they would use them.

• Members

Thanks for the interesting story. It is exactly what I felt while I visited Luxor and Aswan. But I never managed to bring people to my hotel. Even at the Ritz. The main issue was that the bigger the hotel is, more luxurious, but some guys are really not dressed for those hotels and very visibly different. Smaller hotels have tight controls at the reception, which was the case for Aswan. Any hints?

Also can you provide more details on Alexandria and red sea cities in like hurgada?

As I tried to suggest, the sexual cultures of Egypt appear very complex to new arrivals. As a Western expat, it took me quite some time to learn how to decipher 'signals'. For example, being asked (constantly) "are you married" and questions about your family appear to be everyday, polite questions. If you answer no, this is may be followed up with questions asking you to elaborate on why this is the case. Again, this maybe a straight forward question. However, as I discovered, if you explain that you "like your freedom" and that you live a very mobile life, this may be followed up with more questions asking you to explain why this is so,  given that most expat men travel with wives/partners/families etc. If you then reply that "well, its just not for me" or other such vague, seemingly avoidant phrases, this may very well lead to further questions regarding your living arrangements ie. if you live alone, do you have a doorman. You can see where this is going... Interestingly, with some guys this questioning may take ten minutes. With others, it may unfold over several weeks, for example, as you run into the same guy at the local gym and strike up an (ongoing) conversation...

After 3 weeks in Cairo, Luxor, Aswan and Hurghada, as a tourist, I realized that sex with men in those places is somehow connected with money - for sex itself or for some kind of service that precedes it.
And I, too, at the beginning did not understand the hidden meaning of the question "are you married?". To a negative answer, local men began to ask "why is he so handsome and not married?", Or they immediately asked "do you like bananas?".

12 hours ago, Baska said:

After 3 weeks in Cairo, Luxor, Aswan and Hurghada, as a tourist, I realized that sex with men in those places is somehow connected with money - for sex itself or for some kind of service that precedes it.

Sex is connected with money? 🤔 What other incentive would they have? Romance perhaps?

14 hours ago, Baska said:

And I, too, at the beginning did not understand the hidden meaning of the question "are you married?". To a negative answer, local men began to ask "why is he so handsome and not married?", Or they immediately asked "do you like bananas?".

Great question, 'do you like bananas'! I suppose the answer is 'peeled or not peeled'?

20 hours ago, Baska said:

Totally forgot about the 'banana' question !  The first time I was asked this, in Aswan, I naively assumed that my taxi driver was trying to make small talk and practice his English. I said something like "Oh I prefer strawberries". He then said he only had one "very big banana" and asked if I would like to look at it. It wasn't till he invited me to sit in front of the taxi that I finally twigged...

9 hours ago, Phoenixblue said:

Sex is connected with money? 🤔 What other incentive would they have? Romance perhaps?

Generally, yes. Sex/pleasure/money. Both wealthier Egyptians and expats (both men and women) were expected to 'thank' their sexual partners with money and/or gifts and/or provide employment where possible i.e. the longer you were acquainted. In the case of the "do you like my banana" scenarios, these can be financially lucrative for younger men and my understanding was certain families, who were often quite poor, turned a blind eye to how young men made their money in the the "tourist trade" as long as they were contributing to the household. A middle class Egyptian friend explained that many working class/fellaheen Egyptians think that well-off expats are just very generous tippers hence their sons coming home flush with cash...

13 hours ago, Phoenixblue said:

Whether in Thailand or Egypt of Latin America regardless, what drives young fit men who are in many cases straight to have sex with strangers,tourists, is money. It is a financial transaction and anything else is just a minor detail, money is the key that opens closed doors. The problem is that some tourists are so disillusioned that they actually think that these young men are offering their sexual services because of love and romance.

The only exception to this is if you yourself are young and cute and white. Then yes you might attract sex for free.

I always assume that it is transactional though it is interesting to me how this may morph into something in addition to this if, over time, you develop a connection/friendship of sorts with someone you see regularly - but yes, in this context, certainly not love or romance ! 

If you're paying money, and its a short term thing, it's always transactional. If you're pleasing to the boys eye, then its an easy job for them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all. If everything about you turns them off, it's just a tough day for them; but they've had worse days. Probably.

In relationships where wealth of each partner is significantly different, the lines between romance and transaction become more blurred.  One can see it as paying in arrears... or as just one of those quirks of love.