hojacat

Hong Kong saunas

I'll be heading to Hong Kong in two weeks. Have only been there once in 2014, though I stayed for a good amount of time. Quite excited to go back as I really had a great in there.

My first time I went to around 5 different saunas, though I remember the name of just three of them. Based on that experience and doing some research on different websites, I'm listing the names ana d a description of some of the numerous (probably one of the highest in Asia) gay saunas in Hong Kong:

Central Escalator (HK island) - remembering reading so much about this sauna before heading to HK the first time. It was supposed to be the place where the young rice queens of HK would hang out. However, got pretty disappointed when I visited. It's quite small and it was almost all elder guys, both Westerns and locals. Remembering leaving after only 20-25 minutes. Still see positive reviews about it online but I think I'll skip it this time.

Hutong (Kowloon) - this was described as the best sauna of HK where the young and beautiful would go on weekends and it really was. Had a blast both times I went there. The guys were young and hot and would get pretty wild in the dark corners. It had the reputation of refusing entrance to old or out-of-shape guys. However I read in a personal blog that from 2016 or so they stopped doing that as they actually wanted to maximize their profit. Having a more mixed crowd left some of the younger guys unhappy and they started heading to other saunas like Big Top (now closed and My Way Sauna which also offered big discount to younger guys. Looks like the competition made Hutong also match that discount as the price for guys U-27 is only 55HKD and for those U-33 only 99HKD. The reviews say that the crowd is still good on weekends, so I plan to go there at least once. they don't have any theme night.

Chaps (HK island) - I remember it was a cute two-floors high sauna mostly frequented by young professionals, so mostly guys in their early 30s. Read that now it's just one floor and continues to attract the same crowd. I think I'll skip this time.

My Way (HK Island) - seems to be the favorite sauna for young twinks as guys u-28 pay only 50HKD. They have theme nights every night and seems like naked Sundays are really popular. However, different sites agree that there is a big sticky rice vibe in there even though they don't refuse entrance to foreigners. Planning to go at least once, at least just for the eye candy, though I should be prepared for rejections.

Gateway (HK Island) - the reviews praise the level of facilities and its cleanness a lot. Seems to have a very mixed crowd when it comes to age and foreigners are warmly welcomed. No theme nights. Plan to go at least once.

Soda (HK Island) - this one has to have the most opposing reviews I have encountered. A lot say it has the biggest dark room in HK and it's clean, others say it's small and describe it as dirty (there were mentions of people getting beaten by bedbugs). Most agree that it attracts a large enough crowd, including young people. There are also a few strange reviews about the behavior of the owner towards white guys. Seems like he is a bit of a rice queen and kind hits on most of the white guys going to the saunas and gets quite unhappy when getting refused. He and his staff then gets quite towards the guy. Same behavior applies also to the Asian guys that meet the white guy and some say he even refuses entrance to locals he knows are into white guys. People say also there are security cameras in the cruising areas. Undecided for now if I will go once or not.

Colony, Galaxy and QQ - three saunas that attract mostly older guys. Planning to skip.

If anyone of you guys have been to these saunas or have heard about it, feel free to add your review. I plan to write a follow-up post after my trip.

@PeterRS @Marc in Calif or others that have been there lately, what app do you recommend using from: Grindr, Blued, Jackd and Hornet? 

Sorry I can't help much. Since the covid restrictions ended, i have been there for only 3 nights in January and 2 at the end of April. Only had one free night when I met up with a lovely guy from Grindr with whom I still keep on touch. Have not been to a sauna for a good 5 years now. I ditched Blued some time ago but there were still hits on all three other apps. I just did not have time unfortunately.

Years ago I used to enjoy CE provided I went at certain times - mostly week-ends and sometimes early weekday late afternoons before dinner. It used to attract a few high-end tourists from mainland China in HKG for long week-ends shopping and clubbing with a sauna trip thrown in. These guys were mostly tall, in shape and on the gorgeous end of the spectrum. No idea of the clientele now.

• Members

"Central Escalator (HK island) - remembering reading so much about this sauna before heading to HK the first time. It was supposed to be the place where the young rice queens of HK would hang out. However, got pretty disappointed when I visited. It's quite small and it was almost all elder guys, both Westerns and locals. "

Rice queens are not young Asians. The older ones wanting Asians are. So to speak.

4 hours ago, Lucky said:

"Central Escalator (HK island) - remembering reading so much about this sauna before heading to HK the first time. It was supposed to be the place where the young rice queens of HK would hang out. However, got pretty disappointed when I visited. It's quite small and it was almost all elder guys, both Westerns and locals. "

Rice queens are not young Asians. The older ones wanting Asians are. So to speak.

yeah, my bad. I used an incorrect term. I guess I wanted to say potato queen. Looks like you can't edit your post in here.

11 hours ago, hojacat said:

Looks like you can't edit your post in here.

You can edit provided you do so within about an hour of making a post. Once the post has been uploaded, you wil see 3 dots on the top right. Click that and one of the 3 options is Edit. That enables you to edit to your heart's content. Thereafter just click Save at the bottom right.

One hour is a bit too short of a timeframe.

I forgot to add regarding Hutong sauna some people mentioning that before Covid they used to have something called doorless nights, where all the door's rooms couldn't be closed for 6PM to 9PM. Not sure if they have restarted having them now. their website doesn't mention it.