reader

Emirates and Etihad are partnering. Will it mean a Mideast super airline?

From CNN

One country, two major airlines operating world-class long-haul fleets out of different major aviation hubs located close to one another.

On paper, the United Arab Emirates’ ownership of two powerhouse global longhaul carriers with largely overlapping international air networks that converge so closely might seem an extravagance too far. Isn’t one enough?

And so, the announcement by Emirates and Etihad of a new deal to work more closely will inevitably revive rumors of a potential merger between the two: something long discussed at a kind of academic level in aviation circles, particularly during tough economic times, but one potentially stymied by local politics – and the fact that their status symbol hub airports are an hour apart on the ground.

Earlier this month, the two airlines, both still coming back from the disruption caused by the pandemic, agreed on a so-called “interline” partnership. The move raises questions about what that means for passengers, and whether a new regional super airline is finally on its way.

Emirates and Etihad are both flag carriers of the UAE, the small Gulf country made up of seven emirates. Emirates, established in 1985, is based in Dubai and is one of the world’s largest airlines by most metrics. Etihad is newer, established in 2003 and based in Abu Dhabi.

Dubai International Airport and Abu Dhabi International Airport are fewer than 150 kilometers (100 miles) apart and the drive between them takes around 75-90 minutes depending on traffic. By and large, the Emirati capital city Abu Dhabi is known for being smaller and quieter than its glitzy, livelier northeastern neighbor Dubai, but both certainly have their draws for travelers in addition to being regional economic centers.

One of the big questions that pops up every time Emirates and Etihad are mentioned in the same announcement is whether it means a closer partnership – reciprocal agreements for frequent flyer benefits, codeshare flights and even a prospective merger.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/emirates-etihad-interline-partnership/index.html

Looking at the Skytrax review site both airlines are dropping down the rankings following the pandemic. Emirates was always higher than Etihad and remains so with an average rating now of 5/10 when it used to be 7/10. Etihad also used to have a much better reputation but is now at 4/10 and recent reviews are pretty dreadful.  Pre-pandemic I took Emirates daily A380 from/to Bangkok/Hong Kong at least 2 dozen times when biz class tickets were cheaper than the cost of most economy tickets now. That was fantastic value. But the biz price is now 50%-70% higher depending on dates. Also I would not fly on Emirates 777 biz class as most aircraft still have 2-3-2 seating and seats which do not fully recline.

I note that Qatar has just announced a 5th daily flight between BKK and Doha with some limited time reductions in biz class tickets between some destinations.

Totally agree about Qatar. Since I usually fly through Doha to the UK, each round trip involves 4 flights and so I must have taken about 32 flights in recent years. The entire biz class experience is virtually as good as it gets. When I arrived in Doha in early March, the A380 was parked far from the terminal. But the premium class buses were more like limousines with individual armchairs for each passenger. As @TotallyOz mentions, the lounge at BKK is excellent with a very good selection of different types of food and drinks. The same is true of the on board catering. Never had a meal I did not enjoy and the wine list is excellent, especially the rose champagne offered on flights to and from Doha. I do find the lounge at Doha over large, though. Not surprising perhaps given that the number of passengers in the 11:00 pm - 2:00 am period is mega given that this is peak time for transfers.

8 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I do find the lounge at Doha over large, though. Not surprising perhaps given that the number of passengers in the 11:00 pm - 2:00 am period is mega given that this is peak time for transfers.

Yes, the boys and I felt we had to walk for 5 minutes to get to the cafe area. They did like the showers as well. And, I found the food in Bangkok better than I expected. The boys all round food on the plane they liked as well.