reader

Current Cambodian airport near Angkor Wat to close

From Pattaya. Mail

Following the near-completion of a brand new airport 50 km east of Siem Reap, the current flight base close to the Angor Wat temple complex will close in October 2023. The Cambodian civil aviation authorities have confirmed that the old airport will no longer be used for public flights. Government spokesman Chanserey Vutha said the new airport, though much further away, was necessary to boost the number of international flights and to end the environmental damage to the Siem Reap ancient ruins caused by aircraft vibrations and pollution.

The spokesman added that current tourist numbers are only about 40 percent of the boom year of 2019 during which over 6 million foreigners entered the kingdom. Once the new airport is operational in October, he expected at least 300 flights a week to and from a variety of Chinese cities. The US$1 billion dollar structure has been built largely with Chinese loans and grants, channeled through the Yunnan Investment Group.

Separately, Phnom Penh is also to have a new airport Techo Takhmao International which is scheduled to open in 2024. Situated in Kandal province and about 35 km from the city, it will be the ninth largest in the world and will contain the latest hi-tech features for communication and safety. Currently, the main limiting factor for international Cambodian tourism is the lack of direct flights from the USA, Europe, Russia and India with most passengers transiting in Bangkok. That brake will soon be lifted.

4 minutes ago, fedssocr said:

Does PNH really need the 9th largest airport in the world? Was that also built with Chinese money?

My thoughts exactly. But where else would Cambodia get that kind of money from?

Quite likely, someone in the Belt and Road department convinced the Cambodian government that if they built a massive airport, direct flights from USA, Europe and Russia would magically appear. Did anyone mention "supply and demand"?

16 hours ago, 10tazione said:

I always loved to take a tuk tuk from the airport.

But I am actually more scared of "expected at least 300 flights a week'

The land around the airport is owned by certain people, who needed the airport to maximise land prices. I believe there will be no effective transport system, it will be a nightmare. 

9 hours ago, vinapu said:

it looks that eventually we will have rail linking new airport and city of Siem Reap. When ? who knows .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjrzCq4EuEc

But when I was in Laos in 2013 talk about railway from China border to Vientiane only started and seemed like pipe dream  and now we have it

The "strictly confidential" map in the video is funny! It says: Start Point Siem Reap Angkor International Airport, End Point "Border of Phnom Penh and Duty Free Store". Could be a bit inconvenient, then you need to take a taxi from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap ... I will use the old airport as long as possible and take a Tuktuk!

6 hours ago, 10tazione said:

The "strictly confidential" map in the video is funny! It says: Start Point Siem Reap Angkor International Airport, End Point "Border of Phnom Penh and Duty Free Store". Could be a bit inconvenient, then you need to take a taxi from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap ... I will use the old airport as long as possible and take a Tuktuk!

I noticed that too.

I don't think we will have much choice in choosing airports, they close one and open another. I don't believe story about effect of planes on ancient monuments, airport was close but not THAT close. Somebody made a lot of money of selling land and construction itself.

only hope is they organize some  form of cheap transportation to the city , otherwise we need to swallow taxi prices

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

I noticed that too.

I don't think we will have much choice in choosing airports, they close one and open another. I don't believe story about effect of planes on ancient monuments, airport was close but not THAT close. Somebody made a lot of money of selling land and construction itself.

only hope is they organize some  form of cheap transportation to the city , otherwise we need to swallow taxi prices

As I mentioned in May, the land is owned by various government personnel, who bought the land for a song, and decided this was an excellent way to increase the land value many times. Also yes, Chinese money.

I am due there in January, and expecting at least a two hour journey to my hotel. Absolute scandal, and what do they think tourists will think? The Chinese also get transported in Chinese owned buses to Chinese owned hotels!