gayinpattaya

The end of Jomtien Complex?

This weekend has been worrying to see down here in Pattaya. Jomtien Complex is a ghost town. Nobody has seen the start of low season look quite like this. Saturday night at 11pm, I would estimate less than 50 farang in the entire complex. It was mostly just boys drinking.

Comparing this May / June to last year, it's a shocking sight. The general consensus with expats, is low season last year saw the return of people desperate to get back after the border closures. It's safe to assume that desperation has dissipated. 

Last night, Sunday, saw a few more customers on the main strip, but certainly under 100. Over 15/18 bars, that's not sustainable. It will be interesting to see what happens on the 10th of June for the Pride event. 

Can anyone chime in who might have been here for low season but decided not to? Is it flight costs? The very hot summer? Or have you simply found a better destination? Maybe you are in Pattaya, but Jomtien Complex is too loud and overpriced compared to the rest of the city? 

It's going to be an interesting low season, that's for sure. 

Very sad news what you described but not surprising. The decline of gay Pattaya night life started years ago and there are many reasons for that the old generation is fading away and the young gay generation is not coming, many visa restrictions caused many expats to give up and leave, many government restrictions on the entertainment venues like limiting the opening hours,dress code of the workers and so on made it less attractive for tourists to come the result is that Sunnee Plaza faded away, City Boyz is a shadow of what is used to be and now Jomtien Complex is bleeding.

Jomtien Complex is not overpriced or louder than the rest of the city in the contrary it's cheaper and more calm , and yes I think many gays found better destinations like South America as me I was surprised to find out that Colombia for example is much cheaper and the variety of the guys there is amazing.

Airfares are now expensive

My business class last year was $3200 return ,it's now $5300 return .That made me think twice .

I don't think Jomtien is expensive as Boyztown but it seems all the owners have agreed on the same pricing .

To me and I can't speak for others but definitely the airfare was the negative and as I get older I guess I'm changing in my desires , I don't like that skinny twink feminine look that I saw in the Jomtien complex mostly.

I prefer older more manly type guys .

4 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

Airfares are now expensive

My business class last year was $3200 return ,it's now $5300 return .

That made me think twice .

Couldn’t agree more.  My main goal was to get to China where my economy fare was $2K+. It was cheaper to go to Beijing via Bangkok and return home via Bangkok (home is San Francisco area).  Just checked and saw that fall and winter fares are declining slightly.  Even more than slightly forBeijing but that has no value for this forum 

5 minutes ago, ggobkk said:

which has been remodeled during Covid.  Restaurant full both indoor space and the patio.  Upscale money boys with many of the guests (unprovable observation but based on haircuts and watches/clothes worn).

Interesting comments, 

May I ask were they caucasian farang guests or Asian?

You all have to remember it's not cheap either to go on vacation.

You have Airfares, travel insurance and that's before you set off plus transport to your airport if you don't have a railway station at the airport.

Then transport to and from BKK to Pattaya 

Then you pay for your hotel average  , then drinks ,boys,bars etc

So average spend a day 3,oooo to 5,000 baht a day add the airfare ,add the hotel, transport,travel insurance over 1 month stay ,it all adds up financially.

Then there is many of the old timers are getting too old to travel .

I did see last trip a lot of young professional type Asians at the bars seem to be from Singapore etc 

1 hour ago, Olddaddy said:

Interesting comments, 

May I ask were they caucasian farang guests or Asian?

It's the same group of farang most nights at the moment, but most are not expats, just long stay tourists. They are usually with the twins (S & M), Det (part owner of @home bar) ect ect.
Not sure I would call any of those boys upscale. When they are on the beach at 6am vomiting Kratom tea and rolling around in the sand, well. 

4 hours ago, Boy69 said:

Jomtien Complex is not overpriced or louder than the rest of the city in the contrary it's cheaper and more calm ,

The only place I have found in Pattaya more expensive than Jomtien Complex is BoyzTown. Pattaya beach/Jomtien Beach you can get a beer for 50-55 baht. 
Some girly bars do 40 baht happy hours. 
Walking Street you can get beers for 80-90 baht. 

Jomtien Complex is 90-120 baht depending on the bar. It's hugely overpriced. 

As for the loud comment, you haven't been around much clearly. Many expats have migrated from the main soi, around to the smaller, quieter bars near Dicks Cafe. With @HomeBar, Jewel Bar, Sun Bar, Dragon and Palace always fighting over music dominance it's often impossible to have a conversation even when shouting at each other. Many people I know simply refuse to go to those bars anymore because they can't hear themselves think. When ? and 69 Bar join in the madness, the whole soi is a write off. 

It was certainly quiet in March/April. I'd usually take a walk around the area at 2200 and it was exactly as others have said. However, on a more positive note, the Dick's Café Soi was lively, as was its corner with the Agate soi. The new-and cheap- restaurants/stands have improved the area noticeably.

There are too many beer bars offering more or less the same product. Some were invariably empty of customers when at 2200.  The customer base is exactly the same as it was when I arrived in Boyztown in 1995; predominantly elderly. And responding to Olddaddy's question, definitely not Asian.

I'd add another issue pertinent to the JC; those who stay in Pattaya  have an uncomfortable journey to reach it.  We do the opposite journey, preferring to eat in Pattaya itself and we have found  the bus trip  infuriating since before Covd, owing to roadworks. Using taxis doesn't help. 

Not that Boyztown seems to have benefitted. I've just received an email from an old friend who works there telling me that it also is deserted.

By the way, the Agate clientele has changed since it re-opened. Sometimes we're the only gay couple at breakfast, the other guests being in family groups.  Many of them Russian.

17 minutes ago, Londoner said:

However, on a more positive note, the Dick's Café Soi was lively, as was its corner with the Agate soi. The new-and cheap- restaurants/stands have improved the area noticeably.

Yes, that area is always busier than the main street. It's quiet, prices are lower and people can sit and have a conversation. Angel Cafe do great coffee, smoothies (same with Meeting Place). Not sure why other places don't do a more varied drink menu. Lovely Pizza on the corner is very good, and Nong Nong opposite from Soda has some great Thai food. 

2 hours ago, Tingtong69 said:

Oh yes. I am staying at the agate and sometimes feel like i am the only gay in a village of russia. 

It always shocks me that Russian families choose to stay there. There is no escape from that place without passing a boy bar or boy massage shop. What do they tell their kids? Don't look at the naughty gays?...

It could be more likely that when mum is babysitting the kids at the pool, Daddy slides out to Soda for a happy ending. 

They didn't realise; simple as that. Agate's prices are good and it's relatively close to the beach where they spend their time, not in the bars. In the evenings the more affluent ones decamp to the malls. I have no idea where the Russian families who shared Agate with us went.

Come to think of it, if they turn left on leaving the hotel down that little passage that leads to the main road, they could even miss Soda et al.  That only leaves the two handsome guys enjoying breakfast to remind them of what they're missing! Ok, one handsome guy.

Speaking of Soda Massage, last Saturday afternoon, i counted 34 boys waiting for customers.  With three other shops/maybe four, with their own contingents only steps away.

Best addition to the complex is the self serve laundromat.

16 hours ago, gayinpattaya said:

As for the loud comment, you haven't been around much clearly. Many expats have migrated from the main soi, around to the smaller, quieter bars near Dicks Cafe. With @HomeBar, Jewel Bar, Sun Bar, Dragon and Palace always fighting over music dominance it's often impossible to have a conversation even when shouting at each other. Many people I know simply refuse to go to those bars anymore because they can't hear themselves think. When ? and 69 Bar join in the madness, the whole soi is a write off. 

Last night was a perfect example of the downhill spiral of the Jomtien Complex. Question Mark Bar and Sun Bar both had music blaring at maximum volume making it impossible to have a conversation. I retreated to Lucky Bar bar near Dick's Cafe and then to M Bar which is also a go to place for a quiet drink. The loud music is losing customers for the boys in the main soi who will miss out on drinks and offs with customers moving away to a quieter location or just going home. 

With no Toy Boys (Boyztown), Nice Boys or Winner Bar (Sunee Plaza) type of entertainment allowed in the Complex it is becoming quite boring with so many beer bars and show bars.

1 hour ago, ggobkk said:

Speaking of Soda Massage, last Saturday afternoon, i counted 34 boys waiting for customers.  With three other shops/maybe four, with their own contingents only steps away.

Best addition to the complex is the self serve laundromat.

The laundromat wasn't there last year,great to see this additional there

32 minutes ago, aussie_ said:

Last night was a perfect example of the downhill spiral of the Jomtien Complex. Question Mark Bar and Sun Bar both had music blaring at maximum volume making it impossible to have a conversation. I retreated to Lucky Bar bar near Dick's Cafe and then to M Bar which is also a go to place for a quiet drink. The loud music is losing customers for the boys in the main soi who will miss out on drinks and offs with customers moving away to a quieter location or just going home. 

With no Toy Boys (Boyztown), Nice Boys or Winner Bar (Sunee Plaza) type of entertainment allowed in the Complex it is becoming quite boring with so many beer bars and show bars.

I have to agree with everything you said !!! 👍

The Premium Economy fares that I have paid MAN-BKK-MAN over the past few years (excluding 2020 due to covid) are:

2017        £1217   Cathay Pacific      via Hong Kong  (actually to CNX)

2018        £1158   Cathay Pacific     via Hong Kong  (actually to CNX)

2019        £970     Air France           via Paris

2021        £990     Air France          via Paris

2022       £1390   Air France           via Paris

for the same dates this year, the current prices are:

£3883   Air France

£5200   Cathay Pacific

as a result, I'm using EVA at £1960. Even this is double the pre-covid fare, but I don't think that Economy fares have increased as much. I stay for more than 7 months and only make the trip once a year, so it's an annoyance but not a deal breaker.

AirFrance.jpg

On 5/29/2023 at 11:43 AM, Boy69 said:

yes I think many gays found better destinations like South America as me I was surprised to find out that Colombia for example is much cheaper and the variety of the guys there is amazing.

Thanks to my partner's checking on some of the South American sites, I am staggered at how amazingly handsome many of the Columbian boys are. On my two South American trips (from Asia) I kick myself for not having included Columbia on the itineraries!

As for Asia, I hope more readers will start to think about Taiwan and especially Taipei instead of always it being Thailand or The Philippines. I realise there will be concerns about not knowing the city and its gay places, not being able to speak Mandarin or read signs etc. Yet just on the apps alone there are many very cute Taiwanese young guys looking for the company of a westerner - often an older one.Most will speak reasonable English. On my trip last week, I had one young 20s guy all but desperate to travel up from Taichung (170 kms away) to spend a day with me!  Taipei now has a plethora of gay venues from busy gay saunas and hot springs to gay bars and cafes, fetish clubs, gay dorm-type hotels with single and double rooms but where most guys walk around naked - and so on.

Other cities are not so well endowed (sic) with gay venues but some are well worth a visit for a day or two. There it's the apps that will be humming and calling you! Plus travel is now so easy with the inexpensive high speed train linking Taipei in the north and Kaohsiung in the south in less than two and a half hours. For first time visitors it's probably best to consider a gay guide to take you around for the first couple of days. Or if you're adventurous, just look at some of the gay websites and get a map. Or even look at posts made here.

I have no idea about flight costs from Europe and the USA. All I know is that Bangkok/Taipei flights on China Airlines are still what they were pre-covid and will continue as far as November year - less than 10,000 baht return including one 20kg bag and a large meal on board. And the service is excellent.

58 minutes ago, billyhouston said:

The Premium Economy fares that I have paid MAN-BKK-MAN over the past few years (excluding 2020 due to covid) are:

2017        £1217   Cathay Pacific      via Hong Kong  (actually to CNX)

2018        £1158   Cathay Pacific     via Hong Kong  (actually to CNX)

2019        £970     Air France           via Paris

2021        £990     Air France          via Paris

2022       £1390   Air France           via Paris

for the same dates this year, the current prices are:

£3883   Air France

£5200   Cathay Pacific

as a result, I'm using EVA at £1960. Even this is double the pre-covid fare, but I don't think that Economy fares have increased as much. I stay for more than 7 months and only make the trip once a year, so it's an annoyance but not a deal breaker.

AirFrance.jpg

I got EVA Business class for £3,150, for return trip in July. 

5 hours ago, aussie_ said:

Indeed. I went for a walk about 11pm. I managed 10 minutes in cocka2 bar and had to leave. The noise from next door was beyond a joke. Headed down the soi and got called into Home bar, but Sun was drunk and everyone knows what that means. All the customers had vacated the soi and gone around the corner where it's quit.