gayinpattaya

The end of Jomtien Complex?

35 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

Thanks to my partner's checking on some of the South American sites, I am staggered at how amazingly handsome many of the Columbian boys are. On my two South American trips (from Asia) I kick myself for not having included Columbia on the itineraries!

As for Asia, I hope more readers will start to think about Taiwan and especially Taipei instead of always it being Thailand or The Philippines. I realise there will be concerns about not knowing the city and its gay places, not being able to speak Mandarin or read signs etc. Yet just on the apps alone there are many very cute Taiwanese young guys looking for the company of a westerner - often an older one.Most will speak reasonable English. On my trip last week, I had one young 20s guy all but desperate to travel up from Taichung (170 kms away) to spend a day with me!  Taipei now has a plethora of gay venues from busy gay saunas and hot springs to gay bars and cafes, fetish clubs, gay dorm-type hotels with single and double rooms but where most guys walk around naked - and so on.

Other cities are not so well endowed (sic) with gay venues but some are well worth a visit for a day or two. There it's the apps that will be humming and calling you! Plus travel is now so easy with the inexpensive high speed train linking Taipei in the north and Kaohsiung in the south in less than two and a half hours. For first time visitors it's probably best to consider a gay guide to take you around for the first couple of days. Or if you're adventurous, just look at some of the gay websites and get a map. Or even look at posts made here.

I have no idea about flight costs from Europe and the USA. All I know is that Bangkok/Taipei flights on China Airlines are still what they were pre-covid and will continue as far as November year - less than 10,000 baht return including one 20kg bag and a large meal on board. And the service is excellent.

Do you have any advice about a gay guide in Taiwan? I have never been there, but your information about the gay-scene there sounds interesting!

I'd be happy to, but I have covered quite a lot of ground already, mostly in this forum on this site - https://www.gayguides.com/forums/forum/25-gay-china-taiwan-hong-kong-macau/

May I suggest that you first take a look at the various threads that relate to Taipei and Taiwan. I think these will give you a reasonably good idea. Thereafter, do please ask for any more specific detail and I will be delighted to answer here.

I hope you manage to read the thread/s about the annual Taipei Gay Pride Parade which is always held on the last Saturday in October. I think it is the most fantastic day (week-end if you are relatively young and into rowdy gay parties with loads of handsome young shirtless guys). Taipei becomes packed with relatively young - but all age groups really as I am way at the other end of the age spectrum and I have been at 7 Pride Parades - gay guys from all over Taiwan and indeed from many countries in Asia. Apologies to those who have seen these photos posted before.

The other thing is that as an island, Taiwan is scenically very beautiful. About 7 years ago I took a 5-day coach tour around the island. Although I had known Taipei since 1986, I knew little else about the island - and was stunned.

DSC05428.thumb.JPG.e2c709fde07da644f29d640453a318a9.JPG

TPE_GP12_2lr13.thumb.jpg.512a77647a65151c4a5a061a688eed8d.jpg

DSC04075copy.thumb.jpeg.73bd3c6b15a603b41df2b0429aeb2424.jpeg

TPE_GP12_2lr44.thumb.jpg.96b06e9113111c008a7f91a38d2bf850.jpg

Taipei_Pride_2013_lr2.thumb.jpg.bb127aa87ff5878b6fc44c1269408e88.jpg

Taipei_Pride_2013_lr13.thumb.jpg.5d5cc17bf2729531b04019f5fde81948.jpg

CKS_Memorial_Viewcopy.thumb.jpeg.6c6d3c5546a4c6d229c90da055f397ab.jpeg

Taiwan_Tour_lr12.thumb.jpg.9a785357cae1df2cc838b17bed42d642.jpg

Taipei8.thumb.jpg.4dba588d370116f4eb2eb75cf7fb50ed.jpg

Taiwan_Tour_lr26.thumb.jpg.20dddc7496f323b0100650047a2fa1eb.jpg

Taipei7.thumb.jpg.7067aba550e4c4a8c6c1e15e65e87f65.jpg

Taiwan_Tour_lr9.thumb.jpg.3546bb4ec2015149ff4996ef00ac346b.jpg

Taiwan_Tour_lr32.thumb.jpg.5a1ee07550f753439ff3defc242248a2.jpg

Taiwan_Tour_lr46.thumb.jpg.50dfc3e95a0f05c20de7098e99ec6728.jpg

Taiwan seems to have more bottoms that's the reason I don't go.

Philippines has more tops 😉

Thailand I guess is versatile although that's changing to more bottoms 

Bottoms everywhere! No one wants to be a man anymore !

Taiwan looks really great judging by PeterHolland’s pictures, not just for the guys but also the countryside.

going back to airfares being a disincentive to travel to Thailand, I’ve being checking the prices for MAN-BKK-MAN in July which seem to be around £1000, which is 50% higher than rates in previous years. This increase is a factor for me as these days I am making 3 trips per year of 2 or 3 weeks duration, but it’s not an overwhelming one.

im hesitant to book because I’m unsure as to  whether I will enjoy the experience as I did in years gone by, which was that of drinking cold beer with good company in the sunshine and having sex with handsome boys. I suppose it’s getting older that’s the problem or maybe the boys aren’t as good in bed as they used to be. I like the sound of the Philippines having plenty of tops - maybe I should go there.

I guess that there are a good number of older gay tourists having the same thoughts about the next holiday.

With ur permission, may I ask:

Why doesn't one of u experienced guys try to talk with the managers of the loud bars? Better yet, with members of the group coordinating the complex?? 

After all, they r in business for the money. If noise drives patrons away, then.....

47 minutes ago, 12is12 said:

Why doesn't one of u experienced guys try to talk with the managers of the loud bars? Better yet, with members of the group coordinating the complex?? 

After all, they r in business for the money. If noise drives patrons away, then.....

I have requested that, in some bars, to decrease the music, which they did,  but put it up after a bit.  For whatever reason they like it loud!

1 hour ago, 12is12 said:

I imagine they may tell you to F..... Off so not willing to take the risk

I maintain that three noisy bars in Boyztown contributed enormously to its sad demise by the effect that they had on the hotels. It's something that I shall never forgive; driven away from our favourite location and favourite hotel by the selfishness  of those bars, which weren't even necessarily catering for the gay community. I hope that JC doesn't go the same way.

We love Agate but the JC isn't, and never will be, anything but a shadow of Boyztown in its vibrant prime.

To ensure that we are not disturbed at night, we always stipulate that the room faces the swimming pools. And we've never been disturbed. However, we're not bar-goers and so I cannot comment on what's happening at the bars themselves....though I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be happy if music curtailed conversation, as it used to sometimes in Boyztown. Bars should be for the customers, not the staff. 

6 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Thanks to my partner's checking on some of the South American sites, I am staggered at how amazingly handsome many of the Columbian boys are. On my two South American trips (from Asia) I kick myself for not having included Columbia on the itineraries!

Brush up on the spelling of the country and its people before you do - they do take offense being referred to as Columbia and/or Columbians.

The trip I took in March Man > Bkk with 3 weeks in Zing Resort cost me £1100. The same deal in October would currently be £1039. Both flying Qatar with changes in Doha. I don't see these as a huge difference to my last pre-Covid trip which was around the £1000 mark though on Emirates. Unfortunately, due to some health issues, I won't be able to make another trip this year. 

On 5/29/2023 at 11:58 AM, gayinpattaya said:

As for the loud comment, you haven't been around much clearly. Many expats have migrated from the main soi, around to the smaller, quieter bars near Dicks Cafe. With @HomeBar, Jewel Bar, Sun Bar, Dragon and Palace always fighting over music dominance it's often impossible to have a conversation even when shouting at each other. Many people I know simply refuse to go to those bars anymore because they can't hear themselves think. When ? and 69 Bar join in the madness, the whole soi is a write off. 

Yes you're right the last time I had been there was more than 3 years ago just before the Covid-19 striked,  it wasn't anything like the madness you are describing now, I stayed at East Suites opposite Zing and it was pleasant quite.

7 hours ago, 12is12 said:

There is too much animosity between bar owners. The Thai owners don't always see eye to eye with the farang owners. In some cases there is real hatred between some of them, who actively go out their way to try damage others businesses. It's far from an ideal situation. Some of the worst offending bars are not in it for the money. They have sponsors with deep pockets, and use their establishments as their own party place. Getting drunk is their motivation, not profits. 

Unfortunately, the complex management have little involvement in day to day activity. Maybe if they did, it would be better. 

4 years ago, it wasn't like this. The soi was very different. Owners got along better and this current noise issue was only present on big parties, which was something all bars do for anniversaries and big events. COVID changed things. I would also assume that some are getting desperate with the lack of visitors. 

I for one m always for trying, and the risk of being told to FO doesnt discourage me.

Were I a regular, I would approach one of the more reasonable owners; tell him I represent the almost-consensus on this board; and try to find together a way to improve the situation for the benefit of all. 

Since I visited JC only once, and currently intend to return for a week every winter. I m not suitable for the task. 

I make one trip a year for six months, so luckily for me air fares are not a problem.

In March the guy who runs 69 bar was complaining to me how the bar was losing money from lack of customers. I spend a lot there on Saturday nights as they have a pool competition and I buy drinks for boys so they can enter it.

As the night progresses the music gets louder. Even when the guy behind the bar turns it down , someone will end up blasting up the music.  At that point it doesn’t bother me as much as I’ve had a few Tigers by then.

I think they just love to party with themselves and enjoy loud music. Every time I ventured to @ home bar, there was almost always a drag show starting.  It’s annoying but M bar is nice and quiet so often I’ll spend time there.

I don’t usually off any guys from 69 bar, though one night a real cute twink was dancing on the platform they have. Unfortunately I bought him a couple drinks but he was so drunk I didn’t bother bringing him to my room. 

It seems to me that extreme noise is in the dna of Thais. I’ve been to Isaan several times with boys to their home villages and experienced local calibrations like weddings and always large speakers appear and the music blasts out. I suppose before electricity was available drums were used to produce the noise they love which together with moonshine whisky would lead to a party in contrast to their hard working lives in the rice fields.

I've stayed at most of the Complex hotels, particularly at the Zing where the clientele seems to vary from one stay to the next. At one time gays like me predominate, often sitting round the pool with boyfriends, and then on other days  it’s crowded with families and str couples. The Poseidon seems to be the only 100% gay hotel where the pool is indoors with an artificial pumped flow of water.  I’ve not experienced troubling noise whilst trying to sleep (alone or with a boy) in a Complex hotel room due to them being situated sufficient distance from the bars. 

12 hours ago, gayinpattaya said:

There is too much animosity between bar owners.  

I've just been re-reading Michael Burchall's book about the founding of Boyztown back in the 1980s.  One of the issues to which he often returns  is the co-operation between the bar-owners, the friendships, the mutual support, and how it enabled the soi and its scene to thrive.

When we were in Ambiance and a particular bar was holding all-night street parties that attracted few people but inconvenienced both guests in the hotel and other people who wanted to chat with friends and possible offs, I was told by the then owners that it was made clear that such parties weren't good for their business. But to no avail.  in other words, there was competition rather than co-operation.

In the days of Jim Lumsden and Kevin Quill- and previously those of Michael Burchall-  the owners met and discussed BT as an entity. Out of such meetings, the "Boyztown" signs  (still there) were purchased,  street lighting and parking was discussed and  the  Gay Pride festivals were established. What came later-every bar for itself- just didn't work and contributed to the soi's demise.

15 minutes ago, Londoner said:

What came later-every bar for itself- just didn't work and contributed to the soi's demise.

This seems to be the current concern with Jomtien Complex. I don't for a second think anyone wants it to fail, but change is needed. Currently there are roughly 10 bars for sale. Maybe new ownerships will bring new ideas and better co-operation.