bucknaway

What has Delayed or Stopped your return to Thailand?

What has Delayed or Stopped your return to Thailand?

For me it has been a combination of things, a couple of operations, deaths in family and also of friends (far too many), a lack of direct flights and lately the Australian dollar has turned to shit. All that added up to knock the interest to travel out of me but hoping to get that interest back soon but just when is anyone's guess. 

OP: Interesting about the wonders of Brazil etc.

However, for those of us living in Asia the time and cost of a return trip from say for eg Bangkok to Rio is sky high. Plus, each leg of the journey involves a couple of days travelling.

So, whatever the better prices in Brazil the cost and travel time getting there is a deterrent.

I made 2 trips to South America from Asia - one to Brazil and the second to Argentina, Chile and Peru. Both were wonderful although neither would have been possible financially had I not had a ton of air miles for business class. Both required 2 overnight flights there and back. I believe it can now be done with much better connections. Rather than fly through Europe I would probably go via Sydney or Auckland.

I wish I could return as I loved almost everything on those trips. But with my now having few air miles to use, like @zombie it would be impossible, no matter how much I would love to do so.

Getting back to the topic, though, I have also found air fares to Europe from Bangkok have risen quite dramatically. Inevitably, when combined with high inflation rates and massive losses from years of covid, this has to have an effect on numbers travelling long distances to Thailand. On the other hand, during my regular travels in Asia I come across so many younger guys who have first or return trips to Thailand planned. But in general these guys do not replace the slowly disappearing expats and visitors from Australia and the west as their nightlife interests are mostly different. Massages with HEs, saunas with their friends to meet other Asian guys and dancing at clubs like DJ station seem much higher on their wish lists.  

On 5/31/2023 at 12:22 AM, bucknaway said:

What has prevented or delayed my return to Thailand?

1. Substantial increase prices of drinks, off fees and fees to the boys.

2. Declined of the gay zones. 

3. Government restrictions like limiting the opening hours, dress codes of the working boys banding fuck shows attc. 

4. Better opportunities at other countries especially South America. 

2 hours ago, KhorTose said:

My partner really likes living in Seattle.  He has not been the least bit homesick.  Nevertheless, we will return for a month in November just to get back in personal touch with friends and family.  Seven plus years since we left Thailand.  Will we be shocked?

Wow 😳

7 years ! It's gone fast