Guest frodo

AEON ATM

Be careful when using the Aeon Atm in North Pattaya. Apparently it sometimes does not dispense your cash but your account is nevertheless debited. There is a thread on this over at Thaivisa.com in the Pattaya section.

Apparently it sometimes does not dispense your cash but your account is nevertheless debited.

Aeon's main Pattaya office is on the ground floor of the Tesco-Lotus on North Road (Pattaya Nua). Maybe they are not even aware of the problem. If anyone wants to use that machine, perhaps it would be a good idea to stop in at that main office, use the machine there, and report the problem.

If it happens to you, or any ATM for that matter, it would be easy for them to check the veracity of what you tell them if something like that happens to you because the amount of cash still in the machine next time they check and the amount you never received would show up when they do their tally.

If the machine does not give you the cash, but does debit your account, if you can get the machine to print out the receipt, keep the receipt and take it with you when you report the problem. If you can't even get the receipt, at least make note of the date and time the transaction occurred.

I had something like that happen to me once at a K-Bank ATM. It debited my account without dispensing the cash. I went to a branch office and reported the problem. It took a couple of days, but they contacted me, told me they had verified my report, and gave me the option of having the funds restored to my account or returning to the branch and taking the cash.

Guest lvdkeyes

I have stopped using ATM's here since I learned that I can get a cash advance on my US debit card for less than my bank charges for ATM usage. BKK Bank and Ayudhya Bank both will give a cash advance with no charge. My bank charges $3.00 as opposed to $5.00 for ATM usage.

Guest luvthai

I take a combination of travelers cheques and cash(new 100 dollar bills) and only use an atm card for emergencies. I have never had a problem with cashing the checks and seldom have to use the cash.

I can get a cash advance on my US debit card for less than my bank charges for ATM usage.

Do you know if they place any kind of limitation on the amount you can cash out (of course without overdrawing)?

It seems to me, if you are using a foreign ATM card and prefer not to use Aeon or any of the ATMs reported to be charging 15 baht, then this is a hell of a good option.

Remember, when you travel to Thailand, make sure you first contact your bank and alert both the agent with whom you are speaking and also alert their fraud department to avoid them locking your debit card.

If the agent tells you he will alert the fraud department for you, don't trust that. I learned the hard way once and it took several calls and several days to get my debit card unlocked. Before they agreed to unlock the card, they wanted all kinds of information that I simply did not have while traveling and could not remember. It was ridiculous, but that's what you have to go through. I urge you to contact their fraud department yourself prior to your holiday.

Make sure they know where you will be, your departure and return dates, and whether you anticipate withdrawing an unusually large amount of cash. That can save you a lot of hassle.

I take a combination of travelers cheques and cash(new 100 dollar bills) and only use an atm card for emergencies. I have never had a problem with cashing the checks and seldom have to use the cash.

This is not an option for me, as I live here now and my Company and Government pensions are put into my Canadian account directly. I have to take out my money with a debit (not visa or Mastercard) bank card, issued by my Canadian Bank. So taking out any money costs me approx $10 - $5 from my Can bank and 150 baht here. Nothing like getting screwed both ends at once.

The cash advance option looks good - I will check with my Bank when I return for a visit next month. I assume you have to give your pin otherwise it would be a concern if you have the debit card stolen.

I assume you have to give your pin otherwise it would be a concern if you have the debit card stolen.

Even if you don't have to give your PIN, if your card is stolen wouldn't you immediately contact your issuing bank and report the theft? They'll instantly cancel the card. Even if the card is stolen, it is useless to the thief unless he knows your PIN number. If he has some way to get it, by the time he does you will already have canceled the card.

Another tip is to ask the issuing bank, before your trip, if they have a number to call from a foreign country. Often they have a collect call number for people who are out of the country.

Guest OfficeMax

I will add my 2 cents.

I went to Bangkok Bank in Central (in Pattaya) 3 days ago presented my USA ATM card and got 70,000B I have not asked the limit of Bangkok Bank.

My USA bank did not charge me 1% fee and Bangkok Bank did not charge a fee.

Just present your passport and ATM card, they made a copy of cover page of passport I signed it and wrote in my address.

I went to Bangkok Bank in Central (in Pattaya) 3 days ago presented my USA ATM card and got 70,000B

I think lvdkeyes and you have found the solution to the ATM problem for a lot of people.

I'm almost afraid to ask this next one: If you can go into a bank branch and without being charged a fee do essentially the same thing you can do at an ATM, then why are fees charged for using an ATM, especially that much of a fee?

I went to Bangkok Bank in Central (in Pattaya) 3 days ago presented my USA ATM card and got 70,000B I have not asked the limit of Bangkok Bank.

Sounds like a very good tip.

One question: Was the exchange rate FULLY competitive & transparent before the transaction?

I find ATM rates are generally a little better than the absolute best in town "independent" money changers. Bank cash exchange rates are often poor.

When I get cash advances the exchange rate is always competitive.

I think you have saved many people from having to pay those outrageous ATM fees. Your method is certainly one of those "why didn't anyone think of this before?" ideas.

Most likely if this can be done in one bank, then it probably can be done in all the banks. I hope, as more people try your method in various banks, they will post here and let us know which banks will and which banks won't.

Guest lvdkeyes

Oddly, it cannot be done at SCB. I really can't take the credit for this. I was told about it from a friend, but I am glad passing it along will save money for many.

Oddly, it cannot be done at SCB. I really can't take the credit for this. I was told about it from a friend, but I am glad passing it along will save money for many.

I was not able to get a cash advance using my UK debit card to top up my new account at the branch of Kasikorn Bank on Pattaya Tai. I was simply told to use the ATM outside. I ended up doing a SWIFT transfer from my UK bank for a 20 pound fee.

I can also confirm that the AEON machine in South Pattaya did the same thing to a friend as the OP describes.

Well, I've said it once and I'll say it again. I don't understand why those of you who are eligible don't simply open a Thai bank account and however you want to do it, a transfer while still in your home country, travel checks, cash, or whatever, just put the funds you'll need while in Thailand into that account and be done with it. Then you won't have any of these problems.

Those of you who can, but don't, you're on my "I Don't Get It" list.

Guest lvdkeyes

I was not able to get a cash advance using my UK debit card to top up my new account at the branch of Kasikorn Bank on Pattaya Tai. I was simply told to use the ATM outside. I ended up doing a SWIFT transfer from my UK bank for a 20 pound fee.

I can also confirm that the AEON machine in South Pattaya did the same thing to a friend as the OP describes.

Try using BKK Bank or Ayudaya Bank.

Guest buckeroo2

Well, I've said it once and I'll say it again. I don't understand why those of you who are eligible don't simply open a Thai bank account and however you want to do it, a transfer while still in your home country, travel checks, cash, or whatever, just put the funds you'll need while in Thailand into that account and be done with it. Then you won't have any of these problems.

Those of you who can, but don't, you're on my "I Don't Get It" list.

I stopped using my ATM card since they instituted the 150 baht fee. This trip I brought travelers checks. I tried to get AMEX travelers checks in $500 amounts. I called my U.S. bank a few weeks before my trip to special order them and they called me back a few days later to tell me that AMEX no longer offers travelers checks in denominations larger than $100. So, I had to stand at my bank and sign 100 checks in the banks' presence and then I had to do the same thing at my Thai bank. I will do a wire transfer next time - pay the $40 fee and be done with it. Previously I was worried that the transfer might get screwed up and I would not know it until I arrived in Thailand. So, I signed up for online access of my account at SCB and I can verify the funds have been deposited in my Thai account while before I leave the U.S. No more running around looking for ATM's that do not charge me a 150 baht fee.

Why in the world would you pay $40 for a wire transfer when you can get a cash advance at BKK Bank or Ayudhaya Bank for $3?

Exactly. If someone already has a Thai bank account or can open one (I think, but am not sure, that Kasikorn Bank, aka K-Bank, still lets farang open an account with the 30-day privilege), then all he has to do is come to Thailand, go and get a cash advance for however much he needs, then deposit the cash into his Thai bank account and no more searching for ATMs that don't charge the 150 baht fees, no more worrying about dealing with travel checks, no more worrying about a lost or stolen foreign debit card, no more worrying about the possibility of your home bank locking your debit card, and no more worrying about anything else . . . all for $3.

If there is a better solution, I'd like to know what it is.

I think, but am not sure, that Kasikorn Bank, aka K-Bank, still lets farang open an account with the 30-day privilege

That's correct. Some branches say you need a work permit, some do not. Therefore be prepared to try 2 or 3 branches if necessary.