Gaybutton

Red-Shirts Storm Hospital

Maybe this piece from the Bangkok Post will help explain that Weng was against it

I hope that's the case. I found it very difficult to even imagine a doctor advocating a raid on a hospital. Of course, a raid on a hospital is bad enough no matter who was behind it and who participated. And now, re-reading that section of the article, the way it is worded is confusing as to whether it was the father who actually tried to stop the raid or the son. It could also be interpreted that the father tried to stop the raid and that the article merely mentions that he has a son who is also a doctor.

Now the Red-Shirts are saying the hospital evacuation was nothing more than a front to make the Red-Shirts look bad. I wonder what they think a raid on a hospital was going to do even if it was greatly exaggerated by the press, make them look good?

Has anyone heard if they are still blockading the hospital?

Guest lvdkeyes

The red shirts are mostly uneducated country people who have taken advantage of a paid holiday. When I went to BKK a couple of weeks ago and saw the parade of reds pick ups and cars with them waving flags and shouting and playing loud music it looked like a party was going on.

Guest cdnmatt

To be sure, this red shirt movement is messy, chaotic and sometimes violent, but so have most other worthwhile democratic movements in human history, especially the ones seeking to end authoritarian rule.

Only problem being, anyone who views this with a rational and objective mind, will realize the red shirts have nothing to do with democracy. Their actions over the past several weeks have proven they don't "just want democracy". These are people looking to dictate.

Just look at what they've already done, and they're not even in power right now. Imagine what's going to happen if they do get power. If they do manage to win this protest, do you really believe they're going to say, "Great! Now let's all go home, hold free and fair elections, and live in harmony together". It's pretty doubtful, to say the least.

If they gain power, more than likely, opposing views won't be allowed. They've proven that a couple days ago, after blocking the road leaving the Khon Kaen airport, searching every vehicle, looking for a leader of the multi-colored shirts. Not sure what they were going to do with him, but it was enough to make him turn around, and go straight back to Bangkok.

I will not say which side I support as it will most likely not be popular. :) But, I will say that I think this entire issue will go on for some time to come unless a middle man arrives on the scene and is able to bridge the two sides.

Protests and riots are common the world over and lets now forget what happened in LA in the spring of 1992. We often look at the protests here with a harsh judgment but we forget our own history. I do firmly believe in the power of peaceful protest and marches. I am not sure where this situation moved from that to where we currently find ourselves.

I think that the PM should step down and hold new elections. I don't think that will solve the long term problems that the country has but it is a start. Even with new elections it is obvious that the Yellow Shirts will not be happy with any election that doesn't leave them in power. The reason the current PM is now stepping down is that he wants to create laws that will ensure his party's power.

Guest GaySacGuy

Protests and riots are common the world over and lets now forget what happened in LA in the spring of 1992. We often look at the protests here with a harsh judgment but we forget our own history. I do firmly believe in the power of peaceful protest and marches. I am not sure where this situation moved from that to where we currently find ourselves.

Peaceful protest and marches..YES. But, what we have here is a demonstration with paid "sit-in" people.

I don't know where the solution is, because as you said the Yellowshirts won't be happy unless they are in power, and neither will the redshirts. So, even if you have an election, the loser is going to start something to try to become the winner....Where will it end???

Peaceful protest and marches..YES. But, what we have here is a demonstration with paid "sit-in" people.

I don't know where the solution is, because as you said the Yellowshirts won't be happy unless they are in power, and neither will the redshirts. So, even if you have an election, the loser is going to start something to try to become the winner....Where will it end???

1 Make it illegal to pay protestors or voters.

2 Make any disruptive protests illegal (peaceful protest in park OK), persistently obstructing business and transport should be illegal.

3 Break up all illegal protests by force.

4 NEVER allow illegal protests to change the government. Unfortunately, the precedent seems to have been set by the Yellow shirt occupation of the airport.

Thailand needs some strong but balanced & fair leadership.

Given the way things seem to happen in Thailand, it's getting harder and harder to imagine why anyone with the right qualifications would even want the job.

Sooner or later someone is going to emerge as Thailand's next Prime Minister. I don't think it will be Thaksin and I don't think it will be Abhisit. No matter who it is, it's a job I wouldn't want.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the most stable government Thailand had in years was the military government following the coup. I'm wondering if the outcome of this will end up being another military government.

2 Make any disruptive protests illegal (peaceful protest in park OK), persistently obstructing business and transport should be illegal.

4 NEVER allow illegal protests to change the government. Unfortunately, the precedent seems to have been set by the Yellow shirt occupation of the airport.

Geez, if the Thais followed all your proposed rules, how would we recognize the Thai poltical sytem as "Thai" in any respect?

And the "balanced & fair leadership" description almost sounds like you're proposing that Sean Hannity come to the rescue! :blink:

Guest cdnmatt

What's the point of making anything illegal? The current government can't even enforce the laws that are already in place. Red shirts don't give a shit about what laws are on the books. Their actions are dictated about how popular they will be with the people, with total disregard for the law.

What's the point of making anything illegal?

The general idea was to start arresting and jailing offenders. Should be easier to prosecute if the appropriate laws are in place.

Of course if the police and the army lack the will to do anything, there is not much hope.

Guest gay_grampa

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the most stable government Thailand had in years was the military government following the coup. I'm wondering if the outcome of this will end up being another military government.

I would not disagree with you on the stability issue but Military Governments do not go down well with the international community.

I have been here long enough to remember the 1992 coup and the two appointments of Anand Panyarachun as caretaker P.M. K.Anand was asked to do the job by HM The King. His credentials were having been Ambassador of Thailand to the United Nations, Canada, the United States, and West Germany and a respected businessman from the Saha-Union group.

Maybe if both Taksin and Abisit are unacceptable faces to various factions within Thailand then what is needed is another Anand style appointee.