Gaybutton

1-2-Call

I've had a couple questions about 1-2-Call, the most popular SIM for mobile phones in Thailand.

First, where do you get the SIM card? Any phone shop or convenience store such as 7-Eleven carries them. If all you need is the SIM card, ask for the 'Max 99.' That's what it costs - 99 baht for the SIM card.

It comes with a small amount of time, but you really do need to add some time immediately if you intend to use your mobile phone. Again, you can add time at any phone shop or convenience store. If you have a Thai bank account you can also add time from an ATM or from online banking, if you have it. If you have online banking, you can probably access your account from your mobile phone if it has Internet capability, and add more time right from the phone itself. You can add as much time as you wish, starting with increments of 50 baht.

If you have a Thai boyfriend and he knows you have online banking, chances are he also knows you can add time to his phone even if you are in your home country. I wouldn't be at all surprised if many of you already found out the hard way that he knows all about it.

Some people are concerned that you'll lose the telephone number if you're in your home country. That's right, you will. A solution to that, if you have online banking with a Thai bank account, is to add 50 baht once a month until you return to Thailand. Then you won't lose the phone number. Another solution is to have someone in Thailand add time for you with his own online banking or at an ATM. You can't get him to add time by buying a time card because your phone has to be present in Thailand and operational in order for that to work.

The worst that can happen is losing the number. When you return to Thailand, right there in the airport there are convenience stores. You can buy another 99 baht SIM card, put it in your phone, turn it on, and now you have a working phone again, although you now also have a different telephone number.

I suppose there may be other ways you can retain the same telephone number, but I don't know what they are. Maybe someone else does and can post additional solutions.

I imagine it all works essentially the same way if you prefer services other than 1-2-Call, such as DTAC.

I don't use 1-2-Call myself. As a long term resident, I much prefer a system by which I don't have to worry about topping off time. To do that you can open an account with some phone services. I use DTAC. I simply receive a bill once a month. I can pay it online via online banking or at any DTAC shop, and there are plenty of them. The trouble is that a farang cannot open an account unless he has a work permit. I think that's ridiculous, but that's how it works. So, you have to get a Thai to open an account for you. It will be under his name, but you can arrange to have the bills sent to your Thai address. If there is some reason why you cannot personally receive the monthly bill, you can simply go to a DTAC shop once a month and they'll check how much you owe and you can pay right there.

One way to prevent loss of the number - for those who aren't in LOS for most of the year - is to simply buy enough minutes to extend the date well beyond your next vacation date. For example, you can buy 1200 minutes and they are good for a year. That'd be a lot easier in my view than worrying about the hassle of buying 50 minutes a month. I purchased the 1200-minute deal at some phone shop in the mall (I couldn't get it at the local 7/11).

You also tend to get a longer expiration time just by purchasing minutes in 300 minute (and baht) blocks. A year ago January, I bought the 1200 minute deal and those ran out in November or so....and then I began purchasing 300 minute blocks at the local 7/11 whenever I got below 100 or so minutes. I think the last time I purchased minutes was at the end of March and my minutes (think I have a total of about 400 at the moment) don't expire until May of 2011.

Thanks for the useful information.

I purchased a "Freedom SIM" for about 300baht in BKK, with some credit & expiry at the end of December 2010 (ie it should be OK for 13 months from original purchase).

Buying a 99 baht card at a 7-11 sounds more convenient if I can find out how to add funds easily. Presumably call costs are quite low in Thailand?

I should have mentioned that 1-2-Call has a web site:

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/index_th.html#

That's different to the website listed on the back of the SIM card pack.

The one on the SIM card pack won't accept my phone no. The one GB quoted looks much more promising. However as the phone doesn't work in the UK, I cannot receive the password by SMS, so no point in trying to register just yet. Perhaps it's best to try that whilst in Thailand.

Guest joseph44

Topping up is also possible from one cell phone to another.

Depending on the provider you should dial a number with prefixes and amount, etc.

(ex. x292x084425????*!!!# [!!! is amount to top up] for AIS)

Danger: Some people are aware of this possibility, especially the "poor" boys. They may ask to use your phone and while it is in their possession, they top up their phone with your balance.

Perhaps this is redundant? But any of the phone shops in TukCom or elsewhere can extend your time with 12 Call for a small price. Once this feature is set up you usually have six months to a year before the expiration assuming you do some topping up now and then.

Guest tdperhs

I don't use anything to do with AIS. After dealing with them twice and getting screwed both times, I have learned to avoid them. The second time I got so angry that I tried to return the sim card. I had trouble getting the phone opened so I smashed it on the ground, got out the sim card, and returned it to the clerk.

I am usually known for being mellow.

Guest frodo

I top up straight from my SCB account on line. 300 baht gives me 45 days instead of the 30 days if you buy a card from 7/11

SIM-card for Thailand has been a bit of a nightmare for me. I postpone solving the problem of validity till the last day of my stay in Thailand and then I don't have time to do it. I sent my card and money to a friend in Bkk to top it up to increase validity, the letter got lost. But I was clever, I wrote down and deleted all the numbers on the card before I sent it to him!

Back in Thailand, I go to MBK 4th floor and walk around, not sure which type of card and calling plan to choose. A womand smiles at me so I ask her if I can get my old number back which has expired. She can't help me, but she sends me down to ground floor to "Telewiz". There I report my problem, fill in a form (all in Thai, probably registering the number to my name, actually I don't know what I signed there, they make a copy of my passport). She takes a new SIM-card, writes on the form, works on the computer. I ask how much this costs. Nothing! I buy 200 B credit.

Finally, I get my old number, a new SIM-card and 306 Baht credit for just 200 B!

I ask for one year validity, but she can't arrange this. Now I'm back in England and my card will expire in 4 months. So if I come back to Thailand, the game will start again.

Guest RichLB

As long as we're on the subject of 1-2-Call, I have a couple questions.

I use the system of topping up my credit by buying minutes from local 7/11's. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes I buy 100 baht cards and get credited with less than that. Why?

Occasionally, I receive a message on my phone that informs me my free minutes are about to run out. What free minutes? As far as I know, I've done nothing to be awarded free minutes. Since I didn't know I had any free minutes, I do nothing and the phone continues to work just fine. What's up with this?

Since I didn't know I had any free minutes, I do nothing and the phone continues to work just fine. What's up with this?

Sometimes they give bonuses to frequent users, customers in general, in response to complaints, etc. Usually you would receive a text message from them to that effect. It probably was in Thai, so you didn't realize what you received, assuming they sent a message to you at all.

As for why you would be credited for less than the amount on the phone card, I have no idea about that one. I would suggest calling their customer service number and ask. They do have English speaking customer service personnel.

Guest richsilver

I am able to top off my phone on line. I use Bangkok Bank, but I'm pretty sure you can do it at other banks as well.

Just add One-2 Call to your list of payees and give them your mobile number. Then whenever and wherever (the US, for example) you wish to add baht to your phone, you simply select the amount and it is instantly added. No going to 7-Eleven, no being told they are out of 300 baht cards, no tearing the card open with your teeth, no scratching the card with a coin (sometimes rubbing off a number!), no figuring out how to enter the number in your phone, no entering the wrong digit.

At Bangkok Bank the service is free. But there's more . . . You can also create a payee for a friend. So if you know someone is abroad and is not able to top off his phone, you can simply log on and do it for him!

Well, my AIS SIM card which expires in Dec 2010 evidently expires at the beginning of December, so no chance of getting a second annual trip out of that.

I also found I couldn't register on their website once I was back home in Europe, as they send you the password by SMS and AIS doesn't work over there.

So I think it makes sense to register on their website BEFORE leaving Thailand.

Ideally I would like a PAYG SIM card that works outside of Thailand AND can easily be kept for more than 12 months.

Well, my AIS SIM card which expires in Dec 2010 evidently expires at the beginning of December, so no chance of getting a second annual trip out of that.

I also found I couldn't register on their website once I was back home in Europe, as they send you the password by SMS and AIS doesn't work over there.

So I think it makes sense to register on their website BEFORE leaving Thailand.

Ideally I would like a PAYG SIM card that works outside of Thailand AND can easily be kept for more than 12 months.

If you have a Thai bank account, to to Payments and pay on it and it will keep it active for several more months.

It seems Kasikorn allow you to set up regular monthly payments. However, it's certainly cheaper to get a new SIM card, so regular payments only seem to make sense if I want the convenience of keeping the same number.

It seems Kasikorn allow you to set up regular monthly payments. However, it's certainly cheaper to get a new SIM card, so regular payments only seem to make sense if I want the convenience of keeping the same number.

You don't have to do monthly payments. Make a one time payment and that extends it.

I'm a bit amazed about all these problems with validity. I've had both Happy (DTAC) and 1-2-Call Sims ; the Call Credit was valid for 1 year for both. Do they expire SIM cards with valid credit if you don't use them for a while?

There are two limits - one is call time (x baht for each minute - different plans, so costs vary) - when you run out of "baht," you cannot make calls, but can continue receiving calls until you hit the valid time period - this varies depending on how much you "add" - for 1-2-Call, 300 baht is good for one month, 500 baht (I think it is 6 weeks) - the higher the amount, the longer the time the card is valid. I have had mine for several years - the last time I topped up it was for 1,500 baht - that extended my time for one year (previously that amount extended for 6 months). I don't use the phone all that much, so have kept adding money to extend the time - now have around 3,000 baht available. If the bf used AIS, then I could transfer money to his phone, but he uses DTAC - he always runs out of money before he runs out of time. I use my online banking to top up both my phone and his.

I have since years the same number and always mostly when i leave it is valid around one year. Tomorrow i will leave with 600 baht topped up valid for 12 month. I dont need to care because next year will travel again.I dont like to change the numbers because i have so many contacts.

As I understand it, the validity of your Call Credit depends on the rate plan you select (for your prepaid). Some rate plans offer cheap calls, others long validity, but more expensive calls.

If I understand it correctly, it is possible to change the rate plan when you want to ; the phone company will charge you a modest sum for this. If the seller is a bit mobile-savvy he/she can probably arrange this for you when you buy the SIM card (or maybe some credit) ; you'll have to ask.

All this is explained on the web site of most of these companies, but the information is often mostly in Thai, so you might need a Thai to help you.

If you want to get GPRS working (very useful if you can't access Internet via WiFi or ADSL), it gets even more interesting, there's a lot of rate plans and promotions to choose from. I definitely needed a Thai friend to call the call center for me.

Guest buckeroo2

I have since years the same number and always mostly when i leave it is valid around one year. Tomorrow i will leave with 600 baht topped up valid for 12 month. I dont need to care because next year will travel again.I dont like to change the numbers because i have so many contacts.

I have AIS and I top up my account every 3 months when I am here and it is valid for 1 year- I usually add 300 baht or so, but I can add as little as 100 baht - they always tell me that I need to use my phone once a month to keep the number active - even a text will suffice. I am out of Thailand for 3 months at a time and I never use the phone during that period and my phone always works when I return - same number for years - no problem.

So, in conclusion, what's the minimum cost of keeping the number live for 12 months, if out of the country for 11? 600 baht?

I went to Tukcom in Pattaya a few years ago and bought a 1-2-call PAYG SIM card, asking for one that was good for one year. They sold me a Freedom roaming SIM for 350Bt and inserted it in my phone. I then bought 100Bt top-up and asked them to enter it as well, which they did, then showed me the text message that came through showing the validity to be one year from that date. With that SIM, I can leave Thailand for up to one year, with just a small amount in credit, eg 100Bt top-up just before I leave and it would keep the phone active for a year from that point.

A really useful feature is that when abroad, it still works and you can check that your balance is still valid and your phone is still active by calling the balance check number.

I don't know what the card is called, other than it is a "Freedom" card. It is sold in a pink box and it cost about 50Bt more than a standard SIM card. A friend bought a similar one in MBK in Bangkok a couple of months ago, so they are still available.