Where's everyone gone?

Seems like post volumes have declined here recently.

Does anyone have any theories about why this is & what we might do about it?

Personally, I just think many people like a forum that's tightly moderated & keeps a good quality of post.

Civilised replies, please.

The nearest analogy I can think of would be this:

Imagine your favourite bar, or maybe just one you popped into from time to time, had a change of owner. The quirky Australian who used to treat all his customers like old friends, fell ill and had to sell up. The new owner breezed in, tidied the place up but was deemed a bit brash, so a few of the regulars wandered off. Even those that stuck around though were seen to patronise the bar on a less regular basis and that was thought to be because another bar opened up around that time. The other bar was brand spanking new, although if you looked closely it was obvious a few corners had been cut, however the new owners took the trouble to scout around until they found what they hoped was the ideal choice of manager - a vastly experienced chap with nerves of steel. Things just seemed to click straightaway. The place was humming. But even before the paint was dry in the new establishment, those with keen hearing could already make out the gossip and dark mutterings emanating from the Sunee bar across the road where the chattering classes gathered, the bar of lost dreams whose regulars were already predicting . . . To be continued.

(Just in case anybody is wondering, that is supposed to be funny. It is not my intention to cause offence. A good message board will attract good posters. Keep up the good work on Gay Thailand Forum and things should work out ok. For what it's worth I will continue to check the Board out and post whenever the mood grabs me).

with GayThailand withdrawing the situation is more desperate for them.

Hey, I haven't withdrawn. I am still here and posting. But, I am not in Thailand and don't have current updates. But, I'll be back there and when I do I'll post all the information I can get. ;)

Seems like you guys are being a bit negative there. Suggesting the new owner (even in a humorous vein) is a bit brash somewhat catches me by surprise as I've seen no (zero) evidence of that so far. I've no complaints at all.

As to the volume of posting dropping off, it seems to me that it's largely due to two factors. First, a few posters who posted a ton of postings aren't posting at all. I'd give names but would rather not do so (some are missed and some, in my view, shouldn't be missed). Second, I'd surmise that some posters were overwhelmed by the flood of posting and decided to take a break for a while.

And, perhaps, some of the regulars are on trips elsewhere (historically, a few take sabbaticals from the board from time to time....even GT did that from time to time). I, for one (although hardly a prolific poster), returned to Thailand last week for a long stay and I simply don't play on the internet as often here as I do at home.

But the dynamics of these message boards do change from time to time and god/buddha only knows what will happen here or elsewhere. I would note that I've noticed a significant drop in postings at two other boards (Sawatdee and Ting Tong) over the last couple of weeks which puzzles me as it seems to have happened along the same time line as has happened here.

The new owners here have failed in their job

I do not quite understand how we have failed. Perhaps you can give some specific examples?

The site is getting new members every day. Our Facebook ads were a success. Our Alexa and Google rankings keep going up. We just updated the entire forum software without any downtime.

We are disappointed with the lack of posts on the forum but we are happy with the direction of the site. We are here for a long time and will keep working hard to make the site a success.

Guest joseph44

Most (Thailand-related) forums are rather quiet at the moment; even the most popular ThaiVisa is rather quiet with not much news.

A new forum (like Gaybutton's) is always more popular, but as all the other forums it will ease down.

When you look at the boards mentioned you will note that some posters almost swamp the posts with their own self important comments on everything. Thats when I get turned off.

When I see new posts are all from the same person I dont bother to read let alone post.

Sometimes I think certain posters would be more suited to say MSN where like minded people could log in and chat to them, if they wanted.

Guest GaySacGuy

I know that there are still hard feelings over how the whole contest thing was handled, from the very start. I understand that GT set it up, but the new management approved the actions, and then pulled the plug on a lot of people...right or wrong, some have left the board more or less completely because of the happenings around and about the contest, and the heavy handed tactics used to make invisible post, especially those that were critical of the board or GT.

It appeared to me...personal opinion...that the newer members of the board were cuddled and cared for in a much more protective manner, while the long time poster were kind of swept out with the trash...just a personal opinion.

As mentioned in several post above, a lot of posters have gone to GB board out of loyalty for GB...but I think also because they know exactly how they will be treated there and that all will be treated fairly...and this hasn't happened lately with GT.

OK, go ahead and throw the rocks...my windows are all made out of tempered glass!!!

If you look at the posts at GB, you will certainly notice that besides GB the huge volume from lvdkeyes, fountainhall,undaunted and LMTU make up a large part of all postings.

Sure a number and it seems to be quite a few have disappeared. But that makes the 10 sometimes 15 posts that some make every day, boring.

GB is having his problems same as here. His most active posters were until recently posting here as well.

Things are shaking out and will continue to do so. Overall postings across all boards will drop as a consequence.

I know that there are still hard feelings over how the whole contest thing was handled, from the very start. I understand that GT set it up, but the new management approved the actions, and then pulled the plug on a lot of people...right or wrong, some have left the board more or less completely because of the happenings around and about the contest, and the heavy handed tactics used to make invisible post, especially those that were critical of the board or GT.

I do realize that hard feelings exist over the contest. It turned into a mess. We tried our best to come up with a solution that would work for all and it had the opposite effect. Not much we can do about it now other than to apologize and move forward.

I am not sure what heavy handed tactics you are referring to when you state that we made posts invisible that were critical of the board or of GT. Please give me some examples.

If you look at the posts at GB, you will certainly notice that besides GB the huge volume from lvdkeyes, fountainhall,undaunted and LMTU make up a large part of all postings.

It is common with most message boards that a handful of posters make the majority of the posts. Gaybutton was the most active poster on this board for years and he is now concentrating on his own board. We wish him well and have only nice things to say about his board.

If my experience is anything to go by, I now have to log in to the site just to see the posts. If others have to do the same, I think most will not bother.

I have tested this on 5 different browsers and I didn't have to log in to see the posts on any of them. I can not seem to replicate your issue. I suggest you clear your cache on your browser and try again. Or, try another browser and see if you get the same results. The board is totally open for anyone to view regardless of being logged in or not logged in. It would be crazy to have it any other way. If that is happening, it is not our intent. However, I feel this may be an individual issue with your browser.

GB is having his problems same as here.

I am? Strange. I haven't noticed any.

I don't know why I and/or my board keep getting dragged into these discussions, and not just on this board. Sometimes I feel as if I'm being blamed somehow for lower post numbers on other boards. If people really followed me to my board, I don't know of any reason that would prevent them from also posting here or any other board. So far my board has been a huge success, but for whatever reasons there are always people who in effect want to say, "It may appear that way, but not really."

I've probably said this dozens of times over the years. You don't measure the success of a board by numbers of posts. Numbers of posts don't mean a damned thing, especially when you look at the kinds of posts and the kinds of people writing those posts that appear on certain boards. If high numbers of snide remark, sarcastic, and put-down posts are even a part of what constitutes a successful board, then I don't want any part of that kind of success.

Maybe some want to measure success by numbers of posts. Not me. It's the quality that counts, not the numbers. If a board is doing what the person who created it intended for the board to do, then it is successful, even if posts rarely appear on then board at all.

If Scooby is satisfied with the direction his board is going, then this board is successful. If not, then it is not successful. To me it's as simple as that.

My theories:

1 Competitions have worked in the past, but this one attracted a high number of uninteresting posts, so I was discouraged from sifting through them to find the good ones & did not log on so much. Perhaps a few others reached the same conclusions & went elsewhere?

2 Other than the small number of vocal objectors, perhaps the majority liked the decisive GB style of moderating that keeps the board free of the kind of bickering we have seen in one or two posts. You only have to look around the gay Thai forums to see what hands off moderating results in.

3 This is the only board I have to log into to get a correct date on posts & also to reply. However, if people have put up with that for years, that's not the reason for them all jumping ship right now.

I have tested this on 5 different browsers and I didn't have to log in to see the posts on any of them. I can not seem to replicate your issue. I suggest you clear your cache on your browser and try again. Or, try another browser and see if you get the same results. The board is totally open for anyone to view regardless of being logged in or not logged in. It would be crazy to have it any other way. If that is happening, it is not our intent. However, I feel this may be an individual issue with your browser.

No, that is not the issue. The issue is that some people put a bookmark on the forum and they get an error message now. The reason for this is the board upgraded its software and the old url for the forum is now invalid. If they click the link on the top of the website, they go to the right place. But, if they use a bookmark, they get the error message.

I don't know why I and/or my board keep getting dragged into these discussions, and not just on this board. Sometimes I feel as if I'm being blamed somehow for lower post numbers on other boards.

I don't think you were dragged into this by anyone here. I think maybe you were a little too sensitive on this issue? No one blames you for low posts on other boards. At least I don't. Boards are living organisms. They will grow and slow and stop and then sprout again. The number of posts on this board has dropped dramatically but the same thing happens every time I leave Thailand for a long period or when you and I were both on holiday. A board is a lot of work and when the main posters are not there, it will slow. I can't post on things in Thailand while I am not there.

I hope you didn't feel dragged into this discussion. I think the only reason you were mentioned was others were commenting on how they believe your strict Moderation style attracts posters. I hope that is the case and that your board continues to be successful. Only time will tell but no one here begrudges you of any success. Quite the opposite, I hope your board becomes the new SGT. You seem to have many of their posters and they are all on good behavior. It seems you have found a way to control the problems and keep the board successful. Kudos to you!

1 Competitions have worked in the past, but this one attracted a high number of uninteresting posts, so I was discouraged from sifting through them to find the good ones & did not log on so much. Perhaps a few others reached the same conclusions & went elsewhere?

2 Other than the small number of vocal objectors, perhaps the majority liked the decisive GB style of moderating that keeps the board free of the kind of bickering we have seen in one or two posts. You only have to look around the gay Thai forums to see what hands off moderating results in.

3 This is the only board I have to log into to get a correct date on posts & also to reply. However, if people have put up with that for years, that's not the reason for them all jumping ship right now.

I agree with Z909 with the competitions. They have worked in the past. I think the new owners should reconsider not hosting any in the future. If they are run well, they will work. The last one didn't work as well as the first one. The reason is that I didn't want to pay someone to count posts everyday and put a check by each name. Instead, I made the total number of posts for the competition period. That was a huge mistake on my part.

I disagree with Z909 on point 2. I think the majority of posters like to know they are adults and don't need babysitting. If one can't handle being called out during a discussion, perhaps a board is not the right place for them. As long as posters don't violate the rules of the site, I see no need to moderate a discussion. People bicker. Snide comments are sometimes made. That is life. Read it on a board and move beyond it. I don't think anyone needs to tell me what I can and can't read on a board. If the rules are followed, I don't see the need for Moderators to step in. Z909 and Gaybutton believe an Iron Fist is needed. I believe a bear hug is just as effective.

I don't understand Z909 on point 3. I think the reason for that is the board software is set to a certain time zone and the world has 24 of those zones. In order to get the right zone, you need to log into the site and set your preference. It is easy to do.

Firstly, I'll congratulate GB on his new venture. I like competition. GBT is now the first forum I go to.

His moderating worked here, it is working there. Something to think about.

I'm certainly not trying to stirr stuff up between the boards, as I hope to continue posting on both. I do very much see it as time for a debate on the direction of this forum, as we need critical mass in terms of number of posts.

Regarding Point 2, just look at what works on Gay Thai boards & what does not.

Regarding point 3, I was trying to explain the board software here is not quite as slick with the login as some other sites, but that's certainly not got anything to do with everyone suddenly running off right now. After all, if people tolerate it in July, why not in September? It's not like it's difficult. This was intended as reply to a previous post where someone suggested that was the problem. I really don't think so.

Firstly, I'll congratulate GB on his new venture. I like competition. GBT is now the first forum I go to.

Nice to know. Speaks volumes IMHO. ;) For me, I go here only every day. A few times a week, I venture over to the other boards.

Tell me the same thing in one year and two years. Bookmark this thread and then report back. :) New sites always get lots of attention. This one did.

Regarding Point 2, just look at what works on Gay Thai boards & what does not.

I have said it for years, the Gay Thailand boards are unlike any other I have ever been a part of. If by success, what do you mean? Do you mean number of posts? Rankings on SEO? Alexa Rankings? Least amount of trouble makers? Most Active Moderators? Least Active Moderators? Most Political Discussions? Least Political Discussions? Where to find the Best Bar Boys In Pattaya?

You can look at EVERY board and see that they are successful in their area. Baht Stop has great political discussions when Hedda participates. SGT has great reviews of bars. GBT has the most number of posts in the last month. Ting Tong has the most attractive photos in their threads. There really is something for everyone on the boards. Do you really want to copy one board or one Moderator just because in your mind you consider that a successful board? I realize that you must have masturbatory dreams of GayButton as a Moderator (just kidding) but if his style of moderating is the only one you view as one that works, then you really do have blinders on. IMHO

No, that is not the issue. The issue is that some people put a bookmark on the forum and they get an error message now. The reason for this is the board upgraded its software and the old url for the forum is now invalid. If they click the link on the top of the website, they go to the right place. But, if they use a bookmark, they get the error message.

Problem solved, thanks GT.

Guest voldemar

I disagree with you on that one. I, for once, do not check GB message board at all.

Unless you are permanent resident of Pattaya, bored to death and interested in local gossip ( I am not) you will not find anything useful over there. Of course, there are people who like to discuss the same issues again and again...

In terms of interesting posters who left this message board, I would mention Fountainhall.

He is an intersting personality and obviously was not treated fairly by moderators.

Other than that, I do not miss anybody else...

In terms of interesting posters who left this message board, I would mention Fountainhall.

He is an intersting personality and obviously was not treated fairly by moderators.

I agree that he was an interesting poster. However, he was NOT treated unfairly. A thread which was getting out of control was removed for a day for the mods to discuss. I am not sure how that is being treated unfairly. I was in contact with him for days during the issue. He was treated kindly and respectfully.

I, for once, do not check GB message board at all.

Unless you are permanent resident of Pattaya, bored to death and interested in local gossip ( I am not) you will not find anything useful over there.

I see. Of course you have no biases despite the fact I placed you on moderated mode on this board. Scooby let you back in. I hope he doesn't live to regret it.

Let me see if I have this right. You don't check my board at all, and yet you know nothing useful is to be found "over there." I'd say you're either psychic or lying. I think I know which of the two it is. I wonder why I'm reminded of:

"I don't watch it, but I know enough to comment on it."

- Dan Quayle speaking about the 'Murphy Brown' television program.