Guest Yaya

Hanoi vs Ho Chi Minh City

why is this thread remaining here-and not in GayAasia? well-never mind.

2.that city is NHA TRANG and just as Da Nang a fairly stretched out along the beach town.

Sure there will be gay life-as it also is in about any mini Thai provincial town, but if you by now have ever been there, you may have noted there are no real ''venues'' like in a Spartacus-guidebook. Later at night anyone gathers beachside and the age-old tric (but of course by now o-so polit. INcorrect) of having the very cheap local cigs at hand to make some friends still works. or the numerous ''bia hoi=fresh beer'' stands.

As a very general simplification about the pitfalls (yes, these exist too): Han is said to have more crooky-cheats and HCMC more MBs=money boys.

You by now must have enough of Asian experience to know that ''hansum/beauty/roopraw'' means just 1 thing in the whole of SEAsia: a whiter skin. Obviously the Northern Vnese are more akin to Chinese, the southern a diverse mix of Thai/Khmer/Pinoy/Indonesian=Malay. I like the latter more.

In general=nongay traveller/bekpek scene Vnam fairly often gets the raft becse of its never ending money-gauging efforts. For general info you are far beter off at those fora like LP/TT (BTW: do you post as Thai BL on there?) or travelfish. Avoid tripadvisor like the plague for that.

Guest beachlover

Pong, your posts are so informative but sometimes you have the most deranged spelling for some things. "Bekpek"? Backpackers? :-)

1. I think this thread is here because the mod put a notice at the top of this board asking for all new topics to be posted here. They will be moved to the relevant forum later.

2. Thanks for the info about the smaller cities/towns... suppose I won't be alone for gay company when I visit, but there is some risk.

3. By "LP/TT" I suppose you mean "Lonely Planet" but don't know what TT means.

4. No, I don't post as Thai BL anywhere.

5. I just like Tripadvisor for the accommodation reviews...

Guest lvdkeyes

Pong, your posts are so informative but sometimes you have the most deranged spelling for some things. "Bekpek"? Backpackers? :-)

Don't you think it is rude to criticize someone's spelling when they may not be native English speakers?

Guest beachlover

You're a bit sensitive, lvdkeyes. I was commenting in a light-hearted manner.

I'm not a native English speaker either. I think the way he writes is kind of cute, though deranged. I think he does it deliberately. It's like his fingers never leave the keyboard LOL.

Guest lvdkeyes

Well, I am not sure where Dong is from, but I do know that in SG English is a second language taught in schools.

I am not convinced your comment was in jest.

5. I just like Tripadvisor for the accommodation reviews...

Watch the Vietnamese reviews. I like to use Tripadvisor, but there are an abnormally high number of very favourable reviews done by "members" who have only done one or two reviews.

Reading the reports, I figure there's quite a bit of cutting & pasting going on somewhere in Vietnam.

So when are you off there?

Guest beachlover

Well, I am not sure where Dong is from, but I do know that in SG English is a second language taught in schools.I am not convinced your comment was in jest.

I assume by SG you mean, "Singapore". I am not Singaporean. I don't need to convince you my comment was in jest. Relax. You are easily offended - in my opinion.

I think Pong (not "Dong" as you say) once said he is from a European country. I enjoy his posts on other forums too. He types like crazy and puts great info in them - often very insightful.

Watch the Vietnamese reviews. I like to use Tripadvisor, but there are an abnormally high number of very favourable reviews done by "members" who have only done one or two reviews.

Reading the reports, I figure there's quite a bit of cutting & pasting going on somewhere in Vietnam. So when are you off there?

Yeah, I look at how many contributions a person has made to determine how credible the review is. Usually don't do much more than a quick scan though. More important to check reviews for budget or mid-tier places.

Not quite sure when I'll go back yet. Either quite soon (few weeks) or late next year I think. Lots of places in Vietnam I want to visit. And I think Hanoi is worth a second visit, after hearing about some of these gay bars on the Sawatdee Gay Thailand forum: http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/any-other-country-f15/hanoi-any-updates-t19647.html

lae khan-thank you, terima kasi, sze-sze, takk so mycket or whatever.

Probably have to leave Thald pretty soon-family matters.

But I just use -while in Thaild-webshops (rate 10 bt/hr-discount for many hours) and thats for maybe 1-2 hrs/day, incl. reading news from home, any mails-urgent-from work and various other non-gay forums. Misspelling (in this case) is deliberately meant as a kind of ironic hint. (Actually-I spend more time in reading as typing). But I DO think that a lot of Qs are easily answered by just some straightforward thinking.

If Asians attract you so much-and with your aversion of MBs-then I advise you the real Indonesia=not Bali.

Guest beachlover

sze-sze

Xie Xie... :rolleyes: (Thank you)... Crikey, how many languages to you speak?

Misspelling (in this case) is deliberately meant as a kind of ironic hint.

I knew it! LOL :p

If Asians attract you so much-and with your aversion of MBs-then I advise you the real Indonesia=not Bali.

Indonesia?... Dunno, I don't find anything especially appealing about Indonesians, other than the fact they are Asian. Plus Indonesia isn't the most tourist friendly country (compared to Thailand or Taiwan for example) and doesn't sound very gay friendly. Lots of other Asian countries appeal more... Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Vietnam etc.