Guest fountainhall

Singapore's State Control Gains Another Victim

Guest fountainhall

Every time Singapore moves one step forward in slightly relaxing some or other element of state control, it quickly reverts back to type. Today comes news that it has rejected the appeal of a UK journalist against a 6-week jail sentence. His crime? Insulting the Judiciary! And here am I thinking we all do that most of the time in our respective countries!

Author Alan Shadrake had written a book Once A Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice in the Dock which alleges a lack of impartiality in the implementation of Singapore's laws. Here's how The Guardian reported it.

Singapore has a history of sensitivity to how it is portrayed.

Mr Shadrake was sentenced by the High Court last November and was fined S$20,000 ($16,150; £9,900).

"We affirm the sentence imposed by the judge," said Justice Andrew Phang of the three-member Court of Appeal panel . . .

"The prosecution of Alan Shadrake for doing nothing more than calling for legal reform is a devastating blow to free speech in Singapore," said Phil Robertson, deputy Asia director at Human Rights Watch. "More broadly, until the government releases its iron grip on basic freedoms, the Singaporean people will remain all the poorer."

Malaysia-based Shadrake was arrested last July when he visited Singapore to launch his book. The book contains interviews with human rights activists, lawyers and former police officers, as well as a profile of Darshan Singh, the former chief executioner at Singapore's Changi Prison. It claims he executed around 1,000 men and women from 1959 until he retired in 2006.

The Singapore government says it has the right to ensure what it sees as accuracy in any reporting of the young state.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13570701

So what is the government complaining about, I wonder? That the number of hangings was only around 999? :o

I don't know the extent of such behaviour, but give me 20% taxes & harassment of a few foreign journalists ahead of repressive 40~50% tax rates & a pretence of free speech any day.

As for free speech in the UK, it seems any religious extremists may condemn homosexuality, but if I condemn their miserable religions, that's an offence.