Guest fountainhall

Don Mueang Reopens March 6

Guest fountainhall

The Bangkok Post reports today that Don Mueang will reopen on 6 March. Nok Air says it will definitely move all flights back. Orient Thai has not yet decided. If you are booked on Nok flights after 6 March with a ticket that gives Suvarnabhumi as the departure/arrival airport, either Nok will contact you - or you should contact them!

http://www.bangkokpo...reopening-mar-6

NOK has said to return to DMK asap.

Th-Oreint,t he other main user,, has made no announcement yet.Then there are a very few tiny airlines with prop-planes to minor Thai towns who were banned from BKK/swampy- I guess they will also return asap, but their lines are of no real use for most of you-unless that special visit to boy specials home seems to frightening with a 7 hr bus ride.

Guest fountainhall

NOK has said to return to DMK asap.

Again I have to wonder if you read the first post and the link to the posted article. It is, with respect, confusing to say Nok will return to DMK "asap" since Don Mueang actually reopens only on March 6. Check Nok's website and you'll note that any flight before March 6 leaves from BKK. Those from March 6 onwards leave from DMK.

That said, anyone looking at either of the two airports' official sites for news about the move will be looking at a series of mostly long out-of-date news releases. It's frankly an absolute disgrace for any airport website to operate without up-to-date information.

Look at the DMK site. It's front page news is about the closure of the airport last year! Click on Nok's logo there and you get the schedule for flights in March 2007!!

Look at BKK's site. it's 'Home' and 'News' pages are equally out of date. Worse, the various press releases are not dated and you have on idea when they were issued! The only part of the site that seems current is the arrivals/departures Flight Status information.

http://www.donmuangairportonline.com/

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/

Check Nok's website and you'll note that any flight before March 6 leaves from BKK. Those from March 6 onwards leave from DMK.

Please note that Nok Air does not operate any flights to/from Don Mueang on the selected date. If you would like to travel on this date, please kindly select the flight to/from Suvarnabhumi. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

They're still booking Ubon Ratchathani, at least, from BKK. I checked when I read your post because I have a flight booked on the 9th May. The above is the response I got.

Guest fountainhall

They're still booking Ubon Ratchathani, at least, from BKK.

Interesting! Yet, earlier I had looked up Don Mueang to Udon Thani on March 8/return March 12. They have five daily flights listed in each direction!! I can't believe they are taking many days to revamp their timetables! I suggest you check directly with Nok about your flight.

One point I failed to notice in the article I posted is that in April BKK will close one of its runways for 60 days! The AOT representative says this will have no effect on the airport's "normal services"! How on earth is that possible, I wonder, given that BKK is already operating over design capacity? Taking Nok's flights away will free up some runway space - but enough to ensure there are no delays on just one runway?

One point I failed to notice in the article I posted is that in April BKK will close one of its runways for 60 days! The AOT representative says this will have no effect on the airport's "normal services"! How on earth is that possible, I wonder, given that BKK is already operating over design capacity? Taking Nok's flights away will free up some runway space - but enough to ensure there are no delays on just one runway?

I guess it depends which part of the airport is running over capacity. Presumably the terminal?

As for the runway, they seem to have something like 20 departures an hour, so perhaps 40 total?

Now if the interval between flights can be squeezed to less than 90 seconds, there could only be minor disruption.

15 seconds should do it... http://www.liveleak....=12f_1297204256

Guest fountainhall

As for the runway, they seem to have something like 20 departures an hour, so perhaps 40 total?

One problem inevitably is that these are not spaced out evenly throughout the day. So with one runway out of action, there are bound to be considerable delays at the peak early morning, mid-afternoon and mid-evening hours.

The other problem is that smaller aircraft (i.e. most of TG's domestic services and all Bangkok Airways/Air Asia/Thai Air Asia services) require greater separation time on take off if they are following a wide-bodied jet. The wake turbulence produced by the wing tips of a wide-body can cause severe turbulence in a smaller plane whereas it has much less effect on another wide-body. And how many of these flights take off in the morning peak? There will certainly be delays!

The other issue that arises is: what happens if there is a runway 'incident' resulting in closure of the airport for a few hours? Presumably flights will be rerouted to other airports like Don Mueang, Chiang Mai and Phuket with passengers not being permitted to disembark until the flights finally reach BKK! It's unlikely to happen - but it's not a happy thought!

The other issue that arises is: what happens if there is a runway 'incident' resulting in closure of the airport for a few hours?

This is probably no different to Heathrow, which operates both runways at almost full capacity. In an emergency, traffic could go to Dong Mueang or Utapao.

The other interesting little issue is why the runway needs closing for 60 days, when the airport has only been open for a few years? Perhaps the rumours of cracks were true.

Then will the other runway be closed for 60 days later in the year?

Guest fountainhall

The article does not mention the reason for the closure being as long as 60 days -

In April, repairs will begin to the eastern runway at Suvarnabhumi airport, covering an area of 1,620 square metres, with a budget of about 150 million baht. It is a routine major repair after five years of use, he said.

The repair work would be completed in 60 days and would not affect normal services of the airport.

I don't recall either of Hong Kong's runways being closed for anything like that length of time, and HKG has been open since 1998.

I cannot remember runway closures at the London airports -it simply couldn't be tolerated, due to lack of spare capacity.

They sometimes spend several months doing repairs overnight, from midnight onwards.

The trucks are all lined up ready to dash onto the runway as soon as the last plane clears it.

Guest fountainhall

Being something of a conspiracy theorist, I wonder if this is all being underplayed because there is a more serious problem with that runway. After all, the entire airport was built on swampy ground and cracks were found in the runways prior to opening.

Another issue has not been addressed, though. If one runway has to close for 60 days, does this mean the other will also close for a similar period as soon as the east one has been 'routinely repaired'? Will BKK have to operate just one effective runway for four whole months?

Being something of a conspiracy theorist, I wonder if this is all being underplayed because there is a more serious problem with that runway.

What are message boards for if not to have the occasional bit of kite flying and speculation?

The announcement concerning the runway closure at BKK coming at the same time as the one telling us the old airport is reopening could be construed as even more alarming - had it no been for the enforced closure of Don Mueang owing to the floods perhaps the repairs would already have started.

Guest thaiworthy

Well, there's nothing quite like a good charade such as musical airports. More airplanes than runways and whosoever is left stranded pays the price, game over. I think the game is played with one chair removed after each round. Not even a very bright prospect for the winner.

I've added this onto the reopening of the old airport thread because it's flying-related but not of sufficient interest to warrant starting a new topic.

DVT

Mean anything? Well, it should. Deep vein thrombosis. A lot's been said about this over recent years so I hope we're aware their are risks attached to flying owing to being seated for many hours with little or no opportunity to exercise your legs. Today I came across a webpage warning me that window seats on aircraft were more dangerous than aisle seats. Sounded a bit OTT to me and indeed on careful reading all it is saying is passengers sat in a window seat are less likely to get up and stretch their legs simply because it's less convenient to do so. That means a higher risk of DVT.

So if you think you might be at risk during a longhaul flight, and if seated in economy, it would certainly make sense to opt for an aisle seat allowing you reasonable opportunities to get up and stretch those legs! I would imagine a window seat in business class for example would be fine as the extra seat pitch (legroom) allows you to get past your neighbour without inconveniencing him.

Guest thaiworthy

I think it was Korean Air that played a video of seated exercises designed to thwart such problems. I don't know how much effect it would have on the legs, but this is one of the reasons I like the aisle seat. On most flights you can also put the armrest down to stretch the arms as well. And of course, while you are stretching in your seat, beware of that cart that appears from out of nowhere and runs into your foot! I wonder if an inclined seat exacerbates the problem or relieves it? Do taller people have a more serious problem given their longer legs? With all the complications arising in air travel these days, this could become as big a problem as carpal tunnel for the frequent long-haul travelers.

Good issue, Rogie.

Guest fountainhall

I think it was Korean Air that played a video of seated exercises designed to thwart such problems

Most airlines now play such a video before take off, and many also have a page devoted to exercises in the in-flight magazine.

DVT was a major issue a few years ago when it seemed as though a number of passengers might take airlines to court. But nothing seemed to happen thereafter. The problem seems to be that some people may be susceptible to the formation of a blood clot if one or both legs is/are stuck in a certain position for a number of hours. The danger then is that the clot could travel up to the heart. Exercising is not the only thing that will help. I have read that wearing long elastic stockings is recommended if you think you might be prone to such a condition. As always, though, check with your doctor first.

Guest thaiworthy
I have read that wearing long elastic stockings is recommended if you think you might be prone to such a condition. As always, though, check with your doctor first.

I prefer nylon myself, and eyeliner, rouge and just the right shade of lipstick. If I die on the plane at least I want to look good. Though you are right FW, while not everybody is prone to such a condition, check with your hairdresser first.

I prefer nylon myself . . .

Some airlines supply them, even in economy, along with an eye-shade and microscopic tube of toothpaste.

Perhaps the stockings are nylon, I've no idea as I've never bothered to put them on.

I feel if the stockings are indeed nylon, and Thaiworthy dresses in the way he describes, all he will then need is to don the eye-shade in order to announce his arrival at the Masked Ball.

Guest fountainhall

Some airlines supply them, even in economy, along with an eye-shade and microscopic tube of toothpaste

I am pretty certain these are not the medical stockings that experts recommend. They are merely shortish socks so you can take your shoes off. I have heard others complain about the mini-tubes of toothpaste. But they are only meant for one or two brushings! I am sure half what is left in the tubes goes completely to waste.

I am think thaiworthy has more lofty thespian ambitions. He has been permanently auditioning for a part in Phantom of the Opera for the last few years. He's all dolled up just in case his agent gives him the call. :o

I got an email yesterday informing me my flight had been reroutrd to fly from Don Muang. Same flight number, same departure time. The email also stated that all Nok flights will fly from DMK from March 6th. That suits me fine - it'll likely be much quicker and more likely to go on time from DMK. It also gives them a chance to try out their new electrical systems before I have to fly!