TotallyOz

Spanish on 4: A Tapas Cafe in Gay Bangkok

Spanish on 4 is the new sister restaurant of the ever popular Tapas Cafe in Sukhumvit Soi 11. Located in lively Silom Soi 4, the new restaurant has a striking black terazzo bar that dominates the downstairs dining room. At the back end of the bar are food displays with some of the days's tapas dishes on display and Spanish cured hams hanging overhead. There are open kitchens both downstairs at the end of the bar and upstairs at the back of the main dining room.

We specialize in Spanish tapas - small dishes from Spain for sharing among friends - and pride ourselves on serving food with a very authentic European taste. Tapas is eaten in Spain as a snack to accompany drinks - much like "Kap Klaem" in Thailand. Outside Spain, most tapas restaurants cater for diners who want a wide variety of food to share for their main dinner, or lunch. At Spanish on 4, you are welcome to drop in for a quick snack and a drink, or to join us for a full meal.

Tapas Cafe, Bangkok's First Spanish Tapas Bar and Restaurant. It is not a Spanish theme bar, but a modern innovative tapas bar serving both traditional and modern tapas dishes. There are no upturned sherry barrels and no bullfight posters on the walls. The interior is strikingly modern with exposed concrete beams, a light airy feel and comfortable informal furniture. Music is an eclectic mix of Spanish flamenco, Brazilian and Spanish jazz, world music of all types and a huge range of Cuban salsa and timba.

Since opening in late 2006, Tapas Cafe is already proving a popular alternative to the more familiar international pubs and restaurants. There has been great feedback on the food and ambience and repeat customers are returning for more! It has already become somewhat of a meeting place for Bangkok’s small Spanish community. The food is the main draw, but the music and availability of Spanish newspapers and magazines is a definite plus.

Spanish on 4

78, 80 Silom Soi 4

Bangkok 10500

http://www.spanishon4.com/

post-10472-0-92172700-1359848822_thumb.jpg

post-10472-0-40100100-1359848823_thumb.jpg

Guest thaiworthy

According to Wikipedia, tapas are described as appetizers. While this sounds intriguing, it amounts to an extra bill for an evening's entertainment. If you're in the bucks, go for it, if not, would make it hard to accommodate in the daily budget. By the time you add your bar bill, off fees, tip and restaurant bill, you can blow a wad of cash awfully fast. An exception would be if this replaced your regular restaurant visit, and you can get by with eating light.

I am sure this is worth investigating, but a Spanish appetizer cafe that isn't even gay would be difficult for me to justify. Unless I am in a funny tapas mood, I will probably pass, but that's just me. For everyone else, enjoy!

Guest thaiworthy

TW, have you ever been to Barcelona? If so, you should love anything Spanish. :)

No, I haven't. Not sure I can afford to this year. But if Jefferson is still there, I may go rob a bank!

Guest fountainhall

Tapas bars are wonderful! You can eat as much as you wish - a couple as appetisers with a beer before you go off somewhere else for dinner, or just linger and eat a bit more. Don't get the idea that tapas are like tiny cocktail appetisers. They are much more substantial than that.

post-1892-0-64591900-1359865169_thumb.jpg

Photo: wikipedia

Guest joseph44

Been there and have to say: absolutely fabulous.

Although tapas-eating requires a few people I was there on my own, but enjoyed the tapas nevertheless.

Gay or not gay.........the preparation of the tapas and the service requires dedication above sexual orientation.

TW, have you ever been to Barcelona? If so, you should love anything Spanish. :)

I love things Spanish and I love tapas, but to be 100% accurate Catalan cooking and tapas are sliightly different then say Madrid's Spanish Tapas cooking.  For example there are many more pork dishes in

Barcelona then the rest of Spain and less fish dishes.  A lot of places specialize in stews with pork and a mixture of nuts and herbs called picada.  I do love both, but do recognize some differences.

Guest thaiworthy

You guys convinced me! I'll give Tapas a try.

But sadly, Barcelona will have to wait. I remember now Michael, that I did go there. It was in 1978. I hardly remember anything. I went to Madrid, too-- I remember seeing a lot of underage guys, loads of them in a group looking at me with soulful eyes. This was a few years after Franco died and the country was undergoing a change to democracy and there was less fear of gays being more visible in society.

Guest jomtien

You guys convinced me! I'll give Tapas a try.

This was a few years after Franco died and the country was undergoing a change to democracy and there was less fear of gays being more visible in society.

Before that you were invisible?