naklua

Happy Hour at Wild West Boys Pattaya is not so happy after all

I visited Wild West Boys in Pattaya last Friday. According to their advertisment inscribed on the entrance door they have Happy Hour from 9.00pm to 9.30pm (all customer drinks 99 Baht). Thus I was quite surprised when I was charged 180 Baht for my Heineken around 9.15pm. Asked one of the waiters (might have been a captain?) why they advertise 99 and charge 180. He/she tried to explain in very limited English and I had to assist with my limited Thai. The point was, that Happy Hour does not apply on weekends. Thus I asked why they did not include this limitation in the advertising inscription on the door. Of course I did not get an answer, just a sheepish look and embarrassed/stupid laugh. I then added that this is fraudulent behaviour ("kee gong") --> sheepish look and embarrassed/stupid laugh and he/she went away.

Maybe this rip-off tactic contributed to the fact that at around 9.15pm they had only 3 guests (me included).

Had to look this up:

ขี้โกง kêe gohng [ Stative Verb, Adjective ] [to be] tricky ; crafty

ขี้ prefix that indicates the following adjective is a negative quality of the person being referred to)

โกง [to] cheat ; swindle ; defraud

http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/1276436.html

I know "kee" is "shit" (?) - what is "gong"

Only one of "kee's" (falling tone) meanings.  As Christian has noted, another definition at time (often when it's paired with an adjective) could be described as "prone or inclined to be ________.  "Kee - giat" means to be lazy, kee-mao means to be drunk, kee-glua means to be fearful/afraid, etc.

But, as you note, it often means some form of shit or an excretion much of the time.  "Kee-ja-mook" (ja-mook meaning "nose") is how they say "snot." And you've all eaten "prik kee nuu" with your Thai foods, right?  Literally, that's rat shit peppers/chilies (because they are about the same size and form as rat shit!).   

Guest scottishguy

I sincerely admire all those who know their way about the Thai language.

I bought a Iinguaphone course over 10 years ago - never got past Disc 1 Chapter 1

:hi: Hats off to you all.

Guest scottishguy

You are right of course Gerefan, but I bet the vast majority just pay up and say nothing, and that's what the management count on. Having said that, I must admit I'd probably say nothing too