Returning to Laos

For my second visit to Laos, I decided to visit the south of the country.

Part 1 -Around Pakse
Flew from DMK to Ubon Ratchathani with NOK air.
Then took a taxi for ~1000 baht to the border, with Mr Soiphet. Anyone who keeps his car in such immaculate condition deserves a recommendation, so his number is 081 5493637. Booking inside the terminal was about 1400 baht. So I walked outside & Mr Soiphet found me.
After crossing the border, I took a shared car from the border to Pakse, which cost about $3 or so.

After the first 5 hotels I tried were booked up, I picked up a double room in some unmemorable hotel for 135,000kip. Next day, I walked around the corner and found a much nicer room in the French Run Pakse Hotel for 300,000 kip. They also had rooms facing the corridor for 150,000 which would have been just fine, as the corridor was about 2 metres wide and got quite a lot of daylight.
The highlight of the hotel was the rooftop restaurant, including 2 very handsome young immaculately dressed waiters, one of whom was very gay acting. Actually, they had some quite nice staff downstairs in the hotel too. I should have stayed there for longer.
The town benefits from a rather nice independent coffee shop (Bolaven Cofee), selling coffee made with locally grown beans, plus a few restaurants. Also, a steam sauna location 15.115703,105.80975. This has separate sections for male & female. Had some fun with a friendly young Laos guy, in his late twenties. Entry fee very cheap (about 1500 kip I think).

View from the hotel roof.

C1020780_zps84831e9c.jpg

Day Trip 1: I took a tuk tuk to see Wat Phou, for about 250,000 kip (fixed price). All Tuk Tuk drivers quoted 250,000 kip and the usual tactic of walking off makes no difference. Still, that’s a reasonable price.

C1020497_zps9c712736.jpg

C1020546_zpsff5d03d1.jpg

Day Trip 2:

I took an organised tour around the Bolaven Plateau. That included several waterfalls (photos), an ethnic hill tribe & a coffee plantation. Very good value. Booked via the travel agency diagonally across the road from the coffee shop.

C1020760_zpsda77c3cc.jpgC1020738_zps9b2ead83.jpgC1020728_zps1f4b35de.jpg

C1020648_zpsbd4d69c7.jpgC1020643_zps88a7c923.jpg

Great photos and report. May I ask, how many times have you been to Laos?

Wat Phou photos are great as are the waterfalls photos.

I have only been to Laos a few times for quick day trips. But, I would love to go back and stay longer time on my next trip.

May I ask, how many times have you been to Laos?

Geez, Michael, you read the first 6 words of Z's report?

Speaking of which, interesting report, Z.  Never have been in that area of Laos but may have to give it a visit some day.

Geez, Michael, you read the first 6 words of Z's report?

Speaking of which, interesting report, Z.  Never have been in that area of Laos but may have to give it a visit some day.

Yes, but I wasn't sure if this was his latest trip report or an earlier one.

Guest fountainhall

Great Report z. Re hotels, is it possible to book in advance in Pakse? I'm not sure I'd like to waste time checking 5 before finally getting one.

Nice report. Pakse and that part of Laos has been on my list for a while now. Maybe next year. I have seen some interesting trip options that include a cruise on a nicely restored old boat.

I really loved Luang Prabang. I know some people think it's too touristy, but I am a tourist after all. I thought Vientianne was a bit of a letdown after LP.

For clarification, I had been to Laos once before.  This is a report about the second visit.

Fountainhall:  I'm sure it's possible to book hotels in Pakse before arriving.  Over the last few years, I've been evolving from a 100% pre-booked trips to a more flexible arrangement, which should allow for longer stays in places I like. Usually turning up without pre-booking allows me to select a nice place too. However, after the problems finding a room in Pakse, I might just pre-book a few more rooms.  I would recommend the Pakse Hotel. 

Khor Tose: I stayed there 3 nights and probably should have done one or two more. Of course, if you're trying to squeeze all of Laos into 2 weeks or something, then keep Pakse down to 3 nights.  However, if you have more  time available, I would extend the stay.    Some of our members are retired & some seem to have businesses which can be run from anywhere, so why rush?