Guest fountainhall

Singapore MP 'Comes Out'

Guest fountainhall

In Singapore, of all places, where the government has consistently refused appeal after appeal to change the laws on homosexuality, a Member of Parliament has finally 'come out'. Opposition MP Vincent Wijeysingha, who was the subject of "awkward questions" by his opponent during the last election in 2011, announced in a Facebook entry yesterday that he is gay.

The timing could not be more appropriate, for today is the annual Pink Dot Day. The Singapore government also refuses permits for any Gay Pride March. So the Pink Dot campaign was commenced, an event where members of Singapore's LBGT community meet together in a local park dressed in pink and shining pink torches. One of the most iconic images resulted from last year's event - a photo that must make the city state's squeaky clean image-conscious ruling party cringe.

post-1892-0-85020700-1372484730_thumb.jpg

Strict government regulations mean that foreigners are not permitted to enter the park. But that makes the demonstration so much more pertinent, for last year 15,000 Singaporeans turned up - an increase of 50% over 2011.

Eventually Singapore will wake up & reform. Their stance on gay issues is outdated, cannot be morally justified and is bad for their image.

However, give me the choice between the Singapore government & any of the options we have in the UK, I'll take the Singapore leadership any day. They have a successful economy, acceptable tax rates & there are still some pleasant gay bars.

Back in the UK, the nearest gay bar to me has no windows on the ground floor.