TotallyOz

Welcome to the Gay Philippines Forum

Probably!

And if it isn't the shortest it's certainly in a tie for it.

Rather in the way normally verbose people can be overawed in the presence of royalty, perhaps that's khun Bryanlee's reaction to the sight of Scooby Doo (!?)

Guest fountainhall

And that would not be surprising in the slightest!

I often wonder why I used to love going to the Philippines when I first came to Asia, and then totally went off the country around 20 years ago. Certainly the gay scene seemed more active than Bangkok's at the start of the 1980s, as far as I can recall. Coco Banana was a great pick-up bar/club with many guys around even though it was not totally gay, and all sorts of things went on at the larger, gayer and more basic 690 Retiro Strip a little out of town. It had about three linked catwalks and the naked soap shows always had the crowds roaring. You only had to say "690" to any taxi driver and he instantly knew where you wanted to go. There was also a bar with nude shows called Adam's - or something like that.

There were guys everywhere and no trouble at all getting them into the best hotels. In fact the Philippine Plaza Hotel (owned incidentally by Mrs. Marcos) was virtually cruise central in those days.

The ugly face of gay life, though, was to be found at the notorious Pagsanjan Falls where it was said mothers were 'happy' to sell the services of their young kids. Indeed it was known to gays worldwide and included in guidebooks like Spartacus, then a much more valuable reference than now. Thankfully, once the Marcoses and their cronies were ejected in 1986, Pagsanjan eventually cleaned up its act.

Perhaps it was Bangkok's emergence as a gayer destination in the mid-1980s that drew me away from Manila. Certainly, when I returned for a couple of business trips in the early - mid 1990s, I found Manila more dirty, the grinding poverty more obvious and the gay scene far less interesting. But perhaps I went to the wrong places. The impression I get is that Manila has far less to offer the gay tourist than Bangkok, although the friendliness of the people and their innate sense of getting fun out of life makes up for a lot. Perhaps others will prove that I am wrong.

That's a good analysis FH. Unlike me you've been to the Philippines, albeit quite some time ago. In the Outrage magazine thread in the OP I deliberately tried to give an overview of the country, trying to give an idea of its size and diversity. The mention of whale watching was a great example of probably dozens of interesting (and maybe even exciting) things to do. Places to go, people to meet, problems to surmount, surprises, unexpected rewards . . . these are the kinds of experiences that interest me. Manila, rather like Bangkok in Thailand, is the launchpad from which to explore the rest of the country. I would imagine, also in a similar way to Bkk, Manila has its fans and those who dislike the city. I happen to like Bangkok but I've also travelled around Thailand too - a lot. Unless you're the sort of person who plans ahead by arranging to meet a guy you've contacted on GR or whatever, landing in a strange town usually requires a lot of 'work' to net results. I would imagine it's the same in the Philippines. I would far rather go somewhere that's a bit of a challenge, let's say the islands referred to as being good for whale-watching, or go snorkelling or scuba-diving and have a great experience there, than stick in the big city with the comforting thought you can have a different guy every night. If some of the adventure the Philippines invites appeals but the lack of male company deters, going with your Thai bf or other likeable young man many be a good way to experience the country. I would assume Thais do not need visas as the Philippines and Thailand are members of the ASEAN group of countries.

I often wonder why I used to love going to the Philippines when I first came to Asia, and then totally went off the country around 20 years ago.

Well congratulations on being the first person to write about visiting the country in this new sub-forum.

Hopefully there will be a few more people out there to contribute?

Having seen a BBC documentary reporting on the appalling overcrowding and dysfunctional transport in Manilla, that city is not top of my priority list.

However, perhaps some of the beach towns could be more interesting?

True enough, we are short of genuine 'on the ground' info in the new sub-forum, but there is a thread in the Gay Asia forum Any info on the Philippines that ran for six and a half years between '06 to March '13. It was clearly running out of steam so it's a good idea to inject some fresh impetus.

Glad to see a Forum specifically for the Philippines.

I have been visiting there for over 12 years and will try to add some of my stories and pics.

I am just back from 2 weeks in Cebu City. I love it. So much better than Manila.

However, even the traffic in CC is becoming a problem.

I always plan a side trip for my Holidays there.

This trip I planned to go to Oslob and see the Whale Sharks. But a terrible cold ruined my plans.

AHHH next time.

If you have any questions about the Southern Phils just ask!!

INGAT as we say, "Take Care"...

Are there any gay areas in Angeles City in the Philies?

I don't know if there are any gay areas in Angeles City itself but there certainly aren't any gay bars, clubs etc. around Clark, Balibago, Fields Avenue the main sex tourist area of the region but plenty of Lady GoGo Bars.

Are there any gay areas in Angeles City in the Philies?

Not sure if they are still going or not but look up Club Hugo Hosto Bar, New Club Uzzo Bar and Vanidoso Comedy and Hosto Bar, they have facebook pages so you may be able to enquire there