firecat69

Floods Again

It is that time of year again in Thailand.

Rains come and the floods make life miserable .

Same areas but so far Bangkok may be spared this year.

Sooner or later they have to get some dams built to stop the yearly destruction.

follow this link:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/370215/persistent-rain-prompts-chao-phraya-flood-alert

Recently, I noticed on a weather website I often review that they list elevations above sea level.  Chiangmai is listed as 1006 feet above sea level.  Bangkok is listed as 3 feet above sea level.  When you think of it, that's not much of a slope heading all the way down to the Gulf of Thailand.

Not even considering the natural subsiding occuring there, the area surrounding Bangkok is in for a very tough future should global warming cause the sea levels to rise.  And, of course, I'm doubtful if the Thai government will actually take any preventative measures (presuming an effective dike system could ever be built) to protect the city.

One often hears up here in Chiangmai that the reasons the Bangkokians are buying up so much property up here is they are planning on moving up here when Bangkok ends up under water.  I have no idea if that statement is true but I do hear it quite a bit.

Recently, I noticed on a weather website I often review that they list elevations above sea level.  Chiangmai is listed as 1006 feet above sea level.  Bangkok is listed as 3 feet above sea level. 

When you think of it, that's not much of a slope heading all the way down to the Gulf of Thailand.

Which is mixed blessing, little slope  means water is draining very slowly / bad / but also that flow of water is less damaging , also bad but could by much worse with such mass of water flowing at higher speed

Floods continue to devastate parts of Thailand.

This happens every year.

Send Thai Air to The Netherlands and bring back some engineers who know what they are doing?

Of course then the Government would have to spend the money?

Link provided:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/370709/rain-brings-floods-to-lower-central-isan-regions

Interesting article on attempts to build a dam in Thailand.

I have no idea what this dam would do for the floods.

I find it interesting because environmental groups are the same all over the world.

Fight for the environment vs progress.

Never quite sure who is right in these fights in the USA and now here in Thailand.

follow the link:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/370954/anti-dam-walker-sasin-gets-huge-bangkok-welcome

In cases like that usually both sides  are right, dams are ruining environment but are very handy for clean electricity generation and if emptied and closed at right time great for flood containment.

All over the world story is the same - strong government, authoritarian or with strong electoral mandate goes ahead with dams, one looking for re-election and with wobbly mandate back off till better time.

It looks as toss a coin situation.

Dams have mainly a local effect on the environment, particularly if built far enough upstream.

Balance that local damage against the CO2 free electricity and the reduced flood risk downstream & they can be a good way forward.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/373020/flood-toll-at-30-bangkok-water-levels-to-rise

Damn typhoons keep sending days of rain to Thailand.

Naturally this increase the miser for people who are in Flood Zones

I am in Pattaya and it just keep raining here.

You take a chance every time you go out that the rains will come and the roads will flood and make your trip back miserable!

I remember reading in one newspapers during my trip  in May that Yingluck was quoted saying that government expects floods this year and it looks that she was right on this one.

Not much consolation to affected people though.

Hope by mid November water levels drops and sun will shine again , can't envision bar hopping in knee deep water.

Guest anonone

Knee high water won't stop me from bar hopping.  BF hates it though...so it would mean being on my own  :startle:

No bar boy would be safe.  LOL

Firecat:  I have stayed many times in the same area as you are staying (Marriott).  Are you having trouble around there with flooding?  I don't recall having many issues around there...but I don't think I have been there during really bad rains.

last year same time period, I went to xboys land for the early show . When I came out it was pouring and the water on Pattaya 2 Road was up to my knees and no baht buses moving.  Had to walk all away back which was not a lot of fun. (no telling what is in that water).

Anyways I am not going out at night unless I see some breaks in the clouds before I leave.  Supposed to improve in another 3 or 4 days.

Interesting Observation.

I stayed at Ambiance my first trip many years ago. An ok place , but not for me.  I don't like everyone in BT knowing my comings and goings,

Anyways since 80% of my boys are from GayRomeo and I have no interest in reversing those percentages, I have no need to be there.

But for visitors who want to Bar Hop every night it would definitely be a good option especially during the rainy season.

This year certain areas of Bangkok will again have floods and as usual they scare me.  This is close to the area I live and I will be looking for a house in a safer location but not far from my current neighborhood.

My boyfriend had to go home last weekend in order to help the family get a wall around their home filled with cement so the water would not go in the home. He showed the photos to me and it looked like a lot of work. He said this year was really bad.