Guest trailrider

A Recent Visit to Hanoi

Guest trailrider

Going to Hanoi was an excellent experience.  The old quarter is lively and it is a lot of fun to just walk around in it.  To say that the people are nice and really helpful is not enough.  They are, actually, much nicer and helpful than Thai people.  If you stop on a street looking at a map, at least one person will usually walk up to help you find your way to you destination. 

The food is very good though not as cheap as Thai street food, but it is excellent and different.  Be sure to try the Pho and Bun Cha.  One small restaurant named Bun Cha serves the best bun cha in Hanoi.  Both filling and fun to eat since they are so different from Thai food.

There are some really handsome boys on the streets but Gay life is not nearly developed as in Thailand.  Since I was traveling with a straight friend, I did not even attempt to hook-up with anyone, but certainly this is possible.  At one point, I am sure that one of the workers at the hotel was trying to make himself available but I just did not feel comfortable with my friend being there.  Shame on me.

There are many excellent things to see and places to visit in and around Hanoi, including, Ho Che Minh’s masouleum, the museum of ethnicity, and Halong Bay with its many beautiful limestone formations sticking out of the water.  The body of Uncle Ho was mummified by the Russians for the Vietnamese and he looks like he is sleeping and not dead so it is quite amazing to see him.

The flight on Air Asia is cheap and hotels that are very reasonable can be found.  I highly recommend the Aranya hotel.  The place is relatively new and the staff goes overboard in assisting you in any way they can.  Breakfast is included and better than any I have ever had as part of a hotel stay.  Buffet style with many choices and you can even order from the breakfast menu if you like for free.

Give Hanoi a chance and I believe you will enjoy it.

Thanks Trailrider. How long were you in Hanoi? 

I agree it's a nice city, but in many places felt more like a town to me, but I've only been there once - would love to return one day.

I always thought to myself it must've been better in the days before the 'onrush' of motorcys, they were everywhere, but I'm just nitpicking!

For anyone thinking of a visit, there is also an excellent thread on this forum. If you read it you'll get various experiences, for example there were mixed opinions among our members as to whether the Vietnamese are welcoming to foreigners.

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/8857-what-to-see-in-vietnam/?do=findComment&comment=67881

I actually think that Hanoi and north Vietnam is much more interesting than south part of country including Saigon. Ha Long vya is something very unique and warrants at least 2 day visit.

As for boys they are not shy, when  was there few years ago buy at the travel office in Hoi An after asking if I travel alone immediately in mid-day offered to go with me to my hotel. Unfortunately ,lied to boy trying to extract lower price for taxi to My Lai of American military glory fame because  like trailrider I was traveling with straight friend, female one to add so did not want to get to adventurous although my friend being true friend would actually understand This what friends are for like Margaret Thatcher used to say.

Some details form May 2016, Hanoi:

- went to Zspa (map below),

- very simple,

- 250k dong for spa for 1 hour in simple room (they have superior and VIP), 250k to the boy (written in receipt and paid to the manager) and 100k in his hands,

- nothing serious during or after,

- and generally - "nothing to write home about".

Next day I was in Hero in BKK and Hero was 10 times better :)

Upper right corner:

post-14053-0-65495100-1464890824_thumb.jpeg

The second (gray) building from the left, but better to take a taxi/motocy

post-14053-0-64833100-1464890883_thumb.jpeg