Guest joeblo

Singapore

Is this excluding the hotel cost or is it living very economically?

If you are flying Singapore airlines they have a stopover package which has hotels for a lot cheaper than the normal price but you must be on SIA both in and out of Singapore to be eligible.

Is this excluding the hotel cost or is it living very economically?

Yes, £130.00 for everything, Taxi transfers, 2 nights Hotel room plus a late check out (6pm) all my food, MRT tickets, Singapore Flyer fare and one very nice massage from a handsome local guy.

Due my medical conditions and some of the medication I take not being compatible with alcohol I don't drink which cuts down on spending.

Some people describe me as a "Cheap Charlie" but I am just a budget traveler due to limited resources.

Edit:

My return flight from Don Muang with Air Asia cost me 4700 THB which I booked at Champ Travel in Soi Post Office it may be possible to book cheaper online.

The Fragrance Crystal  Hotel I booked online with Asia Rooms and is definately cheapest booked online.

Guest abang1961

Thanks for your all kind words about Singapore.

Indeed Singapore is the place for both Princes and Paupers, depending on your lifestyle and the choice of accommodation, restaurants etc.  Of course, one can choose to dine in those Michelin-starred establishments in Marina Bay Sands or the local palate in any of the air-conditioned food courts and better still, sweat it out with your du-jour local friends at the Hawker Centres.  The epicentre of all gay activities is Chinatown and the hawker centre there is a gastronomic treat at rock-bottom prices.

I would like to once again thank Christian for being the perfect guest .. no demands at all, no late-nights and no-casual flings at my place.  If I gather from his blog, everything was well-executed and he did managed to have a good time here, minus some disappointment at the gay sauna.  If anyone of you have the slightest idea of doing a visa run to Singapore, I still have the extra bed available... 

Cheers...

Guest abang1961

Homosexuality and the law are 2 double edged sword here in Singapore.

On one hand, the law must uphold colonial and conservative beliefs and customs.

The other hand holds on to the dick... really, there is no public outcry and prosecution against the LGBTQ community unless it provokes the public explicitly... like doing in the public toilets... otherwise, don't say won't tell... the police here doesn't really bother you in the street and really no one reports your sexual orientation to them...

Guest topjohn5

Hi Abang,

Ummmmm, well without trying to be confrontational your statement makes no sense...and I'm sure if you think about your statement for even a minute you will disagree with it as well.

"the law MUST uphold colonial and conservative beliefs and customs"

If that were the case Singapore would be stuck in the past "in everything". Instead Singapore is only stuck in the past in things the powerful elite want it to be stuck in the past with like homosexuality!

If I as an American used that statement we would still have slaves and be burning witches since it is conservative and colonial!

So, why must the law do anything that is wrong???

I didn't view Khun Abang's comments as personal advocacy for a return to the social dark ages but, rather, I took it as his view (perhaps tinged with a wee bit of sarcasm) as to how the rulers of Singapore think.  But we all at times, I suppose, read things differently and I suppose I interpreted his comments in light of his history (all positive in my view) with the board.

I'm fairly ignorant of the politics of Singapore but I can say that neither I nor my Thai bf experienced anything other than a friendly reception when we went there a few years ago.  We had a great time. 

Guest abang1961

My dear, confrontational isn't a good word to use... I would rather you used the word "contradicting" because you don't understand the culture and customs in this part of the world.

No one is abrasive here ... you do what you want if and only if, the neighbours don't report and you are not causing public nuisance..Western ideologies and beliefs are aplenty and allow me to remind you that Singapore is one of the most advanced (technologically) and one of the best place to educate your children (if you have any).

I should not allow myself to explain the complexity of gay lifestyle here in Singapore...just instead, welcome to pay Singapore a visit.. get the first hand information rather than second hand news and opinion ....

Guest topjohn5

Well Dear (if you want to continue to be somewhat sarcastic...but isn't that abrasive really?), I actually do live in this part of the world and have been for 5 years right here in Thailand where I work as well,....and I have been to Singapore 3 times. I enjoyed my stays there and will return no doubt. Unfortunately, you misunderstood what I was saying. The fact that Singapore is so advanced makes my point for me.

You said; "the law MUST uphold colonial and conservative beliefs and customs" and I simply asked...Why MUST it? I asked why since Singapore in many other ways is so advanced, why should it be stuck in the colonial era for homosexuality only? The fact that because no one complains or reports you, you are "allowed" to stay free is hardly real freedom.....you must certainly admit that? What other than public sex might be considered a nuisance...legally....holding hands? kissing? Admitting publically you are gay?

Guest topjohn5

Yes, I guess you have given your opinion then, lol, in the typical way of ignoring it which is common in this part of the world.....

See, Bob I was prepared to support your comments and had assumed I was wrong in my interpretation.....it unfortunately looks like I was not wrong.

Sorry, Topjohn, I still think you're being a bit unfair. I don't see at all where he's advocating the customary or traditional social system with respect to homosexuality in Singapore at all; on the other hand, he's just saying that's the way it is around there.  I don't presume he's praising how gays are treated in Singapore just because he hasn't come out and overtly condemned it in a fashion some of us might prefer.  If I lived in Singapore (or Malaysia or Indonesia or....), my guess is I wouldn't bother doing that either as I would likely think there's no point in doing so.

I even believe many of the gay travelers to Thailand misinterpret how Thais think about homosexuality.  Yes, we're generally treated a with fair amount of tolerance and even overt acceptance (especially but not exclusively in the gay areas); however, that's a far cry from the average Thai citizen accepting or approving of it.  Come to think of it, I might say about the same thing about the US (although in some areas even of the US there's little tolerance or any acceptance of it). 

Guest topjohn5

Hi Bob,

Yes, he certainly has not said what he thinks so we both are just guessing. He has not stated even that "that is just the way it is". He has had many chances to give his opinion however and has not done so....Is that cultural...I don't know.

I just think for someone who touts his country at every turn as a tourist mecca and on a gay board needs to be held to some standard for what he is promoting. It needs to pointed out that Singapore is the ONLY industrialized and developed nation on earth that legally discriminates against it's gay citizens AND visitors. Just a few days ago it's Supreme Court said that discrimination was okay.

I agree with you about Thailand and America as well....I do not tolerate the behavior of those people either and speak out against both when I can and have even put myself and my money on the line in the case of America's bigots. That being said homosexuality IS legal in both countries which it is not in SINGAPORE!

Yes, I guess you have given your opinion then, lol, in the typical way of ignoring it which is common in this part of the world.....

The way I'm reading it, he's just being pragmatic and I cannot blame him. Singapore's government is unwilling to legislate a change, at least at present, because that's what they - in their paternalistic wisdom - think is best for society. There's little the LGBT community can do beyond what they've been doing. Eventually things might fall their way. If I lived in Singapore, I'd take the same pragmatic approach, thinking too much doesn't always make things better.

Zzzzzz.. that is my best response to #41...

I'm with you on that one abang1961

I confirm I really enjoy my trips to Singapore and have never experienced any sort of prejudice or homophobia on any of my visits to Singapore on the contrary I have only found the people I have met to be friendly and sociable.

Guest jimnbkk

Was in Singapore last year with my Thai friend.  He had problem entering the country.  I'm not sure if it was homophobia or they were just afraid he wouldn't leave when the visit was over.  At any rate, after about 30 minutes, they 'relented' and let him in.  We had a really great visit, did not visit any gay venues, but saw the sights and will go back again soon.

Guest abang1961

Yes the immigration officers are fairly "careful" nowadays ...due to the influx of many "job-seekers".

I am so glad that you two had a wonderful time here ... of course, the gay scene is so minuscule when one compares to the "commercial" scene in Thailand.  But alas that, the guys here are definitely (slightly) more educated, (slightly) more affluent, (slightly) more hunkier due to compulsory army training.  

Yes the sights here is worth a second (and perhaps more) visit... pm me in advance next time..

Cheers.

Guest abang1961

The weather towards the end of the year here is terrible... lots of rain.

Yes it is cooler but still so humid.

Just a shout out to potential visitors - soak in the festive atmosphere here for the next few months..

Lonely Planet actually put Singapore on its list of places to visit in 2015...since we are celebrating 50 years of independence.

It is going to be a "big" event throughout the year ...

Everyone is welcome..pm me if you need more information.

Thanks.

Guest sydneyboy

Can anyone recommend massage venues or individual masseurs who offer extra service ie sex? The Trevvy forum I find hopeless because of censorship, you can never get a straight answer to any question that even hints of naughtiness. PM me if necessary.