bkkmfj2648

July 2015 Trip Report - Chiang Mai, Sukhothai, Kanchanaburi, and Pattaya

You have an a-typical taste for Thai guys. I have been there now a few times and your taste deviates immensely from the average Farang. Who is into 18-25 year old skinny twinks. But your friends look very good, however they look like tops to me. Not bottom.

Are you the bottom?

Guest anonone

Great start to your report.  Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your adventures.

I have yet to wander up to Chiang Mai, which is probably long overdue.  I also have a strong desire to check out Chiang Rai as every boy I meet from there in Pattaya is beautiful. 

I also chuckled about the "normal Thailand intestinal attack".  Been there...LOL

I'm glad bkkmfj  you finally made it to LOS after 18 months hiatus.

Can't wait for next installment of your report, your writing style is great and details are all in the right places.

Somebody can use report  as a real guide to CM places.

Boys are gorgeus and I'm sure you had a fun with them.

Noted 6 hands massage impression, you were one to recommend me 4 hands and I'm glad I took your word for it and if you say 6 hands is too much which confirms my suspicion, I'll skip  trying it.

Don't worry about abidismaili comments - by far you are not alone in your taste in Thai guys, rest assured even on this forum they are guys who'd gladly discuss world peace with your guides.

You have an a-typical taste for Thai guys. I have been there now a few times and your taste deviates immensely from the average Farang. Who is into 18-25 year old skinny twinks. 

I wonder of how much truth is in that. My guess would be that this is impression of farangs spending too much time in Sunee Plaza.

Since I share the bkkmfj's taste I must say I never  feel somehow singled out when visiting bars or massages.

I'm not disputing you may be correct  but I find words "a-typical"  and "immensely" misplaced in the context.

What I agree with is that skinny twinks admirers are much more vocal on the forums thus creating an impression of being immense and typical majority.  

I wonder of how much truth is in that. My guess would be that this is impression of farangs spending too much time in Sunee Plaza.

Yes I admit I fit that profile. And Soi Twilight.

But also in places where you can expect to see gay men who like other types, I notice most prefer twinks. In Amsterdam there is a gay sauna and each time I am there and a young twink enters he is really followed around by older gay men when they notice him. Each trying to get him; to touch him etc. I never see this kind of behaviour when a 25 year old muscled gay enters. He is not followed around by other guests wherever he goes. Maybe 1 or 2 only. And I see it in other places too. I truly think the bulk of gays prefer twinks. The other sub groups: those preferring beers, or chubby people, or elderly people are really minorities.

Thanks for the report. Excellent work.

The Qi68 hotel looks nice. 

What do their rooms cost ?   [such information seems elusive on the website, even under the RATES section]

I wonder how they decided on the hotel name ?    Presumably someone started off with Qi69.....

As for BKK immigration, well some of the queue can be from your own plane and if there's another plane arriving at the same time, just walk as fast as you can from the plane to immigration.   I frequently find the length of the queue doubles whilst I am already in it, suggesting this strategy works.

Many of you have asked me for my tour guide's contact details.

I have uploaded them - his name is Woody and his partner is Non.

They are a very fun and open minded couple that will take you anywhere you may want to go.

If you don't know what you want to see they can organize something for you if you just

give them a couple of hints.  They have a nice Nissan car with excellent air conditioning.

Any other questions about them just ask.  I have used their tour services on 2 different

trips and their massage services 4 times - both were excellent.  Woody's level of

English is very good.

Enjoy them and treat them well and you will be so happy for doing so.

M.

post-13906-0-08650600-1437500747_thumb.jpg

Vinapu wrote:
I'm glad bkkmfj you finally made it to LOS after 18 months hiatus.
--> me too - I could not wait anymore to return to LOS

Can't wait for next installment of your report, your writing style is great
and details are all in the right places.
-->  thanks for the compliment - this coming weekend I will try to write the
     Sukothai and Kanchanaburi installments

Somebody can use report as a real guide to CM places.
--> it would be even better yet if the moderators of these Thailand blogs would
    organize all of the trip reports in their own folders - then that would
    create an invaluable resource for everyone who needs trip information.

Boys are gorgeus and I'm sure you had a fun with them.
-->  oh yes, I had so much fun with them.  When we split up so that I could
     go off to Pattaya by myself - I was actually sad that I did not bring
     them with me - but I did not need tour guides for Pattaya - it is all
     almost self explanatory and something better done alone to maximize the
     fun and to avoid awkward situations...

Noted 6 hands massage impression, you were one to recommend me 4 hands and
I'm glad I took your word for it and if you say 6 hands is too much which
confirms my suspicion, I'll skip  trying it.
--> when we eventually meet - I would like to meet you - you can buy me a
    drink for the money I saved you from not having to pay for a 6 hand
    massage!!!   Just joking about buying me a drink - but I would love
    to go out with you one night since we have almost equal tastes in me
    it would be fun as we fight over the same men  :>)))

LoveThailand wrote:
Very handsome companions indeed, bkkmfj
especially the white shirt wearing one
--> his name is Non and I agree - he is SO sexy

Kokopelli wrote: Not me, I prefer this one  :) with the nice smile in the green shirt.
--> thanks you made me blush

z909 wrote:
The Qi68 hotel looks nice. What do their rooms cost ?
--> they quoted me Rate per night : 2,500.00 THB for a
    room with a double bed for 3 people
I wonder how they decided on the hotel name ?
--> interesting question - I do not know as I did not ask them.
--> good advice - I will walk faster then my fellow passengers
    to beat the BKK immigration queue.

Vinapu wrote:

1.Somebody can use report as a real guide to CM places.

--> it would be even better yet if the moderators of these Thailand blogs would

organize all of the trip reports in their own folders - then that would

create an invaluable resource for everyone who needs trip information.

2.Noted 6 hands massage impression, you were one to recommend me 4 hands and

I'm glad I took your word for it and if you say 6 hands is too much which

confirms my suspicion, I'll skip  trying it.

--> when we eventually meet - I would like to meet you - you can buy me a

drink for the money I saved you from not having to pay for a 6 hand

massage!!!   Just joking about buying me a drink - but I would love

to go out with you one night since we have almost equal tastes 

it would be fun as we fight over the same men  :>)))

1. preparing for a trip and searching for an information can be as much fun as trip itself so I wouldn't make it too easy for prospective travelers depriving them part of pleasure, search feature works very well here

2. no joking , your drink and feast of chicken with cashew nuts is on me when we meet, you have it in writing here.

Don't worry about fighting over the same man, I'm not competitive.

I visited quite a few bars  and massage places on couple of occasions with one our of members with the same taste and not even once we liked exactly the same guy, there's always something to make for tiny difference so peace is guaranteed.

By the way those tours with other members are highlight of trip for me and always fun to find face behind the posts so we will figure something out to co-ordinate trip timing.

Guest anonone

Another great post from your trip, M.  Thank you for the great info.

I am intrigued by the "Cruising Zone", though I doubt I will get up to Sukhothai anytime soon to check it out myself.  

Certainly seems like you had a great time and are seeing much more of the Kingdom then most of us.  Well done.

But there is no way I will be dangling from the zip line in the forest.  Watching the video clip was enough to convince me of that.  

Thanks for continuing to post your adventures.  Looking forward to more...

I was in Sukhothai for Loy Krathong a few years ago. I'd say that's the time you want to be there. They have this cool parade full of hot guys in period costumes. And they do a laser and "sound and light" show telling the Loy Krathong story with a giant cast of locals. Everyone comes from miles around. There's a contest for the best krathong with some gigantic ones. Many decorated with seeds and other small things that must take an enormous amount of time to put together.

There's another old ruined town nearby at Si Sitchanalai national park. It grew up shortly after or contemporaneously with Sukhothai. Lots of ruined old temples and so forth. It's about 15 or 20 minutes away from Sukhothai.

Phitsanulok is not far away as well and I liked being there as well at LK. They have the neatest decorations there.

When you said "cruising" and then started talking about the river I expected you to say you took a boat ride. 

More people should get out and see more of the country. There's so much more to Thailand than Pattaya and Bangkok.

Big adventure to Kanchanaburi – 6 hours in the car and guess what a little bit grumpy at times – but to be expected.  As reported in the previous Sukhothai trip report section, thank God for the Thai rest areas, which break up the monotony and also provide an immense of choices for eating, drinking, and to kill the boredom.

We stopped for lunch in a surreal place in the middle of nowhere in the country-side between Sukhothai and Kanchanaburi – again hotter than hell and they only had outdoor seating – so we took the one with the least mosquitos and most fans.  Food was very good – “mom and pop style”.  Poor Non is always doing all of the driving on this trip while Woody and myself are often dozing off in the car or playing with our smartphones.  Non deserves a metal for excellent driving and for never dozing off.  Here he is at the out in the sticks restaurant, driving again – his t-shirt says it all, “Bide your time”

post-13906-0-54544100-1437937361_thumb.jpg

We arrive at Kanchanaburi city around 15:30 and I am thinking, halleluiah we have made it and we can finally get out of the car.  No, Woody informs me that we still have 1 more hour to go to reach our destination at the lovely and fabulous “River Kwai Village Jungle Resort Hotel”. 

http://www.riverkwaivillagehotel.com/

post-13906-0-61784800-1437937421_thumb.jpg

This place is real cool.  Try to imagine a lush resort tucked away in the jungle 1 hour outside of the capital province city, sitting on beautiful land on the banks for the Kwai Noi River.  This resort consists of 191 rooms spread out over an immense estate divided into 4 sections; Mountain Wing, River Wing, Royal Wing, and then the Raftel.  They showed us a room in the River Wing – it was nice – but I insisted with Woody – as they were speaking to the bell boy in Thai to show us one of the rooms that we saw down on the river.  Back to the lobby – at least a 10 minute walk – as the place is truly gigantic – get the keys to a Raftel room and then down the steep embankment and then over a little wooden bridge to a group of 26 barges all tied together – one after the other – with fabulous wooden carved rooms on each barge.  Once we entered I said, “guys – come on – this Raftel is MUCH better than the River Wing rooms…”  Woody and Non replied, “but it costs more” – “who cares”, I replied – these floating rooms are fantastic.  Being off-season – there were hardly any guests – as the resort was like a ghost town – so Woody and Non negotiated a 30% off the already low season price.  I was SO happy!!!  Having Thai guides are truly worth their weight in Gold – hence the reason that I keep trying to fatten them up with my falang breakfasts.  :>))

View of our Raftel floating on the Kwai Noi river – behind my left shoulder

post-13906-0-51366100-1437937474_thumb.jpg

Then I find out why we are here in this spectacular resort.  Non’s 2 sisters work here on a temporary construction site which is a little bit down river.  They are painting the new rooms in the to-be new modern wing of this already huge resort.  The receptionist was all excited to tell me all about it and suggested that I  return when it will open next year and I told her that the charm of this place for me was the wooden old-style rooms and that I much prefer the Raftel instead of the nice new concrete facility.  She was quite surprised – just call me old fashioned.

So, after checking in, and seeing the immense grounds (which included a big pool with water slide and sprouting decadent fountains) – the guys asked me if I could give the sisters some money to prepare our dinner as we would be eating out on our Raftel balcony.  That was all ok for me as I would be able to have a cultural exchange with Non’s 2 sisters and their male partners.  Later on that same evening they came with some cold iced beers, mosquito spray and candles, and some great spicy food and we just sat around and just chatted away and enjoyed the rapidly flowing river behind our balcony and the subtle movements of being on a barge on the river.  Obviously, I was just a silent observer as I don’t speak Thai – but I did insist on showing all of them our 3 zipline videos and our manly adventure.  They loved it.

Non drives the sisters back to the employee area of this resort – it is huge and they employee housing is tucked away in the deep jungle where the guests would not even know they are there.  I felt honored to see and experience “the other side” of this resort – to be with its laborers.

Again, a well-deserved 4 hand massage with the ensuing mutual squirting and relaxing.

As usual, the guys could not wait to have their all you can eat breakfast, so up the embankment to the main resort area to eat.

post-13906-0-06113300-1437937544_thumb.jpg

After breakfast, Woody told me bring bathing suit – because we might go into some waterfalls.  Yahoo!! We then drove off towards the Myanmar border to the famous Three Pagodas Pass, about 150 km from where we were.  At first I was confused, because for me, Kanchanaburi brings back memories of World War II studies, the Japanese occupation of this area, the Death Railway, and of course the famous movie, “The Bridge Over the River Kwai”.  Strangely, this had no relevance nor matter of importance to Woody and Non – as they could not understand our falang history and desires.  This was very strange for me – as they must have learned of the importance of this place during the war – but their lack of interest told me otherwise.  So, today it is jungles, waterfalls, and another Myanmar border town and I was happy.  Little did I know that at the Myanmar border crossing that I would be able to show the significance of this place and greater Kanchanaburi to us falangs.

post-13906-0-60871700-1437937572_thumb.jpg

After having understood the historical significance of this place I was disappointed to see the mini – Pagodas, as they had already formed a larger than life mental fantasy in my head from history class.  Anyway, it was worth the couple of hours drive to see this important historical place.

Excerpted from wikipedia  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Pagodas_Pass

Three Pagodas Pass - Dan Chedi Sam Ong

Is a pass in the Tenasserim Hills on the border between Thailand and Burma (Myanmar), at an elevation of 282 metres (925 ft).  The pass links the town of Sangkhla Buri in the north of Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand, to the town of Payathonsu in the south of Kayin State, Myanmar. The pass is named after three small, crumbling stupas or chedis which were probably built at the end of Ayutthaya period as a symbol of peace. They are now on the Thai side of the border. Parts of the border are still disputed.  These three chedis appear in the provincial seal of Kanchanaburi Province in stylized form. The pass gives its name to the Three Pagodas Fault. This pass has been the main land route into western Thailand since ancient times, and is believed be the point at which Buddhist teachings reached the country from India in the 3rd century.  During the Ayutthaya period in Thai history (14th-18th centuries), the pass was the main invasion route for the Burmese, but at times was also used against them by Siamese armies. The first was the Burmese invasion in 1548, part of the Burmese–Siamese War of 1548.  During World War II, Japan built the infamous Death Railway (officially Taimen - Rensetsu Tetsudo) through the pass. There is a memorial to commemorate the thousands of Australian prisoners of war who (with other Allied prisoners and Asian civilians) died as forced laborers in the construction of the railway.  The region is home to several hill tribes, including Karens and Mons, who are unable or unwilling to obtain citizenship from either countries. Separatist armies have repeatedly tried to take seize of the pass from Burma, with the Mons in effective control until 1990, when Burmese troops regained it.

These 3 photos put together tell a very interesting story.  For the left most photo I had to walk a little behind the Thai border crossing gate into the underbush to find it and this gesture slightly agitated the 2 machine gun toting Thai border guards because I had to enter no-man’s land (that area between 2 nations borders) to take that photo.  Then the center photo, which was taken to the left of the official border crossing where the local Mon market begins, shows the death count by country to build the 415 kmDeath Railway, of which you can see a small section of it passing here at Three Pagodas Pass in the right most photo.  According to the center photo plaque, an estimated 200,000 Asian laborers and 61,000 POWs were forced to build this railway line for the Japanese, of which 80,000 Asian laborers (mainly Burmese and Thai), plus 1,000 Koreans and Japanese, 6,540 British POWs, 2,830 Dutch POWs, 2,710 Australian POWs, and 356 American POWs died building it, hence the name given to it, “The Death Railway”.  Construction started in September 1942 and ended in October 1943.  It remained in service until the Allies bombed it and put it out of final commission in June 1945 – so it had a short life for the number of lives that were sacrificed.  What a waste of humanity.

post-13906-0-51095700-1437937670_thumb.jpg

When I explained all of this to both Woody and Non – they finally understood why Kanchanaburi Province had a very different significance for us falang.  So, we truly had a cultural exchange – my 2 Thai guides showed me the Disneyland side of Kanchanaburi, with its wonderful river, waterfalls, jungle, caves, etc. and I showed them something that was important in history and perhaps the Thai educational system chose to downplay.  We were both more culturally diverse for this trip and I was happy to have enlightened them somewhat.

Afterwards we explored the Burmese market and interestingly between the market stalls – I saw some cute guys and walked behind the market to investigate.  Woody came running after me, because I had actually walked into Myanmar without knowing it.  The market was actually on the border line – I thought to myself – wow – how porous this border is.  Anyway, I can now finally unofficially say that I have been to Myanmar even though my passport does not say so.  By the way, it was possible to do a legal crossing into Myanmar for me but not for my guides as they told me that they require visas.  I did not even push the issue, as I was already satisfied with my little 2 minute illegal adventure.

Finishing with the Three Pagodas Pass, we then drove back towards Kanchanaburi stopping at the Mon Bridge (Uttamanuson Bridge) which links the Sangkhlaburi market and local Mon village.  It is 850 meters long and crosses the Songkalia river.  There is a very large body of water which I believe is manmade, created by the Vajiralongkorn Dam.  Interestingly, the Mon Bridge is the longest wooden bridge in all of Thailand.  It was washed out in July 2013, but when we were there the redone wooden bridge, organized by the local Mon people was strong and beautiful and very operational.  Ironically, they left the floating temporary bamboo bridge up and you can see it from way up high.  It is truly a great experience.

post-13906-0-64040000-1437937724_thumb.jpg

Another example of evidence that the drought is having on Thailand – note the water level in 2015 – very low.

From the Mon bridge you can see the vast waters of the Khao Laem reservoir and also the Wat Wang Wiwekaram.  So we went to check it out and also to find out about getting a long tail boat out to the famous sometimes underwater "Old" Wat Wang Wiwekaram which is now refered to as Muang Badan (Underwater world).  This temple was sunk into the lake when the Vachiralongkorn hydroelectric Dam was constructed in 1979 - 1984.  During our visit it was not submerged due to the drought and the low water levels – consequently we were able to walk into the temple instead of having to try and see it from above the water.  Of course it was very muddy and slimy and we had to be careful about not slipping and falling into the mud like a pig.  Back to the long tail boat to the other side of the lake to visit another abandoned temple (I cannot remember its name) that was covered in tree roots.

post-13906-0-70677200-1437937768_thumb.jpg

Back to town to visit the most important temple, Wat Wang Wiwekaram & Chedi Buddhakhaya, which overlooks the entire area – you can see it peeking out of the tree line in the previous photo.

post-13906-0-22938600-1437937803_thumb.jpg

Now very tired from all day in this very hot and humid area – drive back to our hotel, which is some 150 km away.  Arrive back at the hotel and we eat dinner in the hotel restaurant and then afterwards we went to the fabulous hotel pool and water slide for some fun.  Non went to get his nephew and the 5 of us had a great time.  Since there were no guests in the vacant resort, Non had to call the reception area from the pool, as everything was closed up, and they sent one of the workers to turn on the pool, decadent squirting fountains, and water slide.  We had a blast all taking turns going down the water slide – it was great to be a youngster all over again.  There were no other guests so we had everything to ourselves.

Off to bed and no hanky pank as we were all exhausted.  Tomorrow was going to be our last day for sightseeing as the guys promised to drive me back to Bangkok after we finished our Kanchanaburi adventure.

Last day at the resort for breakfast and we were literally the only breakfast guests.  Checked out and the hot and sexy bellboy took my luggage to the car – a big feat since the car park is up the hill from the floating river rooms.  Here is a photo with him – he placed his hand on my butt during the photo and I did not know what to do – but we had to leave.  Damn!!!  So, if one of you readers get him – please do report all!!!

post-13906-0-25800400-1437937844_thumb.jpg

The guys had a passion to get their pictures taken with the tigers at the Tiger Temple (Wat Pa Luangta Bua Yannasampanno)   www.tigertemple.org .  We got there too early – before noon – so we decided to make a quick visit to the last stop of the River Kwai train, at Nam Tok at the Wampo Viaduct (Wang Po), so that I could finally touch and bond with the railroad and walk on the viaduct.  I was very happy but at the same time moved by the sheer sight of knowing that so many POWs gave their lives to build this.  Some photo ops and then back to the tiger temple for the guys. 

post-13906-0-19418600-1437937885_thumb.jpg

For those of you who might want to ride a train here I leave this web link (one of many), as I plan to return to Kanchanaburi – as 2.5 days here was not enough to do all of the million exciting things that are available.

http://www.roughguides.com/destinations/asia/thailand/central-plains/around-kanchanaburi/riding-death-railway/

Did some souvenir shopping at the Nam Tok train station market – t-shirts with the River Kwai on them.  Then back to the Tiger Temple for the guys (as I did not fancy my picture with the tigers – it was too controlled  and fake, as the tigers are tied to the trees and they do the foto op from between 12:30 and 13.30 the hottest part of the day as that is when the Tigers are most docile).  Sorry guys, no photos of my guides with the tigers – I did not take any photos – only this kitch photo here at the entrance to the park.

post-13906-0-53124100-1437937925_thumb.jpg

Ok, that ends my trip to Kanchanaburi – and I can say that I had a GREAT time – but my main regret is that I should have allocated more time to see more things (waterfalls, hot springs, caves, bamboo raft floating on the river, etc.)  So, another reason to return and reflecting back on this portion of the tirp – I can say that you should take 5 days to truly enjoy Kanchanaburi.  When I do, I am DEFINITELY returning to the River Kwai Village Jungle Resort – and not only for that cute bellboy – because that resort was fantastic.

My next trip report that I will post next week will be about Pattaya – in this segment – my two lovely guides and private masseurs dropped me off in Bangkok at the bus station near the Pinklao bridge where they arranged for me a great taxi to take me to Pattaya.  We did our hugs and goodbyes and I cannot wait to see them again – I love the both of them – they are great guys.

To be continued….

... the hot and sexy bellboy took my luggage to the car......  Here is a photo with him – he placed his hand on my butt during the photo and I did not know what to do.....

what about placing 100 baht in his butt pocket and keep your hand there until banknote warms up?

Thank you for a fantastic report, I immersed myself in reading and almost burnt my unattended dinner roast.

Gay travelers to Thailand are lucky to have your reports and Christian's blog as references.

Did I mentioned this Non is the hell of handsome guy? oh yes , I did.

Pattaya visitors lusting after photo taken with tiger can do it at Noom Noch Tropical Gardens for consideration of 100 but I agree with you , this is tacky and supporting maltreatment of animals at the same time.

Waiting impatiently for Pattaya installment.

Thank you for all efforts you made to put this report together but considering quality of company you had , not exactly unpleasant task I guess

Your regrets about not allowing enough time to see everything is a good problem. Now you have to plan on going back for more.

Thanks for taking the time to share your adventures with us. Great reading.

Thanks for an outstanding trip report.  Good mix of info, places and things, and guys. This type of adventure has always been my favorite to have some Thai guests, Thai food, scenery, and just enjoy it all.  Although I usually need a vacation after the vacation.  Thanks again for taking the time to write it out.  I really enjoyed it.

Guest anonone

Excellent report on your trip to Kanchanaburi.  Some great photos and advice.  Sounds like the resort was perfect.  I really like the little cabanas on the water.  I would be tempted to take BF there for a couple of days, but at 4.5 hour drive from Pattaya it probably will not happen anytime soon. 

I did a quick visit many years ago as a side trip from Bangkok.  I too was struck by the Death Railway and found it almost eery to be in the same spot.  It was also hot as hell (in April) and I just couldn't imagine performing hard physical labor under those conditions.

There is a very well maintained cemetery for those that perished while in captivity.  I was very happy that someone was remembering the sacrifice of this group. 

At the risk of interrupting your excellent trip report, I did find a couple of photos showing the cemetery and thought I would post them. While somewhat too close to the road to be truly serene, it was a rather peaceful place to ponder life for a bit.

DSCF1079_zpsiscbwpoy.jpg

DSCF1085_zpsp6gjclhp.jpg

DSCF1084_zpswtekygdq.jpg

Can't wait to hear about your time in Pattaya.  Hopefully you will not be so long to return to Thailand this time around...?