TampaYankee

14 TV Shows Likely to Get the Axe After this Season

• Members

14 TV Shows Likely to Get the Axe After this Season

Thomas Mentel Google+ | More Articles
December 23, 2013
Page 1 of 15

TV-Static-21.jpg

It’s not easy to avoid the chopping block when it comes to primetime television. Whether it’s a returning series or a new show, livelihood is purely a numbers game, and when the numbers go south, cancellation is not far behind.

TV by the Numbers runs a series of articles outlining which shows from the major networks are trending downwards using what it calls the “Renew/Cancel Index” — a ratio that takes into account a show’s 18-49 age group ratings relative to the performance of other shows. Per the site, the specifics behind the numbers are as follows:

“The Renew/Cancel Index is the ratio of a scripted show’s new episode adults 18-49 ratings relative to the new episode ratings of the other scripted shows on its own network. It’s calculated by dividing a show’s new episode Live+Same Day adults 18-49 average rating by the Live+Same Day new episode average of all the new scripted show episodes on the show’s own network. The network’s average ratings in the calculation are not time weighted (ex. hour long shows are not weighted twice what 30 minute shows are).”

In general, a score less than 1 puts a show at considerable risk of cancellation, while a score greater than 1 puts a show in safe territory. Shows approaching 2 on the scale are more or less untouchable — pretty much assured for an early renewal — while shows trending around 0.5 are generally in big, big trouble as networks decide what to cancel. Using TV by the Numbers’ Renew/Cancel Index, here are the shows from each of the five major broadcast networks — ABC, Fox, CBS, NBC, the CW — that seem destined for the chopping block.

• Members

The only one I watch is Dracula, which I believe is done extremely well and would hate to see it canceled. :(

Putting almost any show on Friday night pretty much guarantees it will be DOA because the prime demographic that ratings and sponsors care about is the 18-39, many of whom go out in Fridays or rent movies by the more sedate.

I watch Dracula and Beauty & The Beast. I've been disappointed in both of them this year. Dracula missed a great opportunity to be good since it was cast so perfectly.

Guest NCBored

I watch Dracula and The Mentalist. Dracula hasn't quite lived up to it's promise but I still have hope. The Mentalist has indded declined the last few years, but I'd still be sorry to see it go.

Dracula only has ten episodes this season. I doubt they'll give it a second chance. In addition Jonathan Rhys Meyers had to go in alcohol rehab a couple of times during the filming of the ten episodes. It worried NBC so much that they withheld his pay until all ten episodes were finished. Without higher ratings I doubt they'll put up with him unfortunately.

• Members

I watch Dracula and The Mentalist. Dracula hasn't quite lived up to it's promise but I still have hope. The Mentalist has indded declined the last few years, but I'd still be sorry to see it go.

I hate shows with a continuing soap opera under-theme. Red John bored me to death after the third appearance of that theme. Some years back Jag had a continuing theme of a missing brother captive in the USSR. Dump the never-ending angst that goes nowhere and hangs like an albatross around the neck of the main character. I feel like I'm watching Sisyphus doomed to failure rolling that bolder uphill. Enough already. If screenwriters want to write character development then develop the damn character and stop using a crutch to roll out his angst ever other week.

Guest NCBored

I hate shows with a continuing soap opera under-theme. Red John bored me to death after the third appearance of that theme. Some years back Jag had a continuing theme of a missing brother captive in the USSR. Dump the never-ending angst that goes nowhere and hangs like an albatross around the neck of the main character. I feel like I'm watching Sisyphus doomed to failure rolling that bolder uphill. Enough already. If screenwriters want to write character development then develop the damn character and stop using a crutch to roll out his angst ever other week.

I know the feeling you're referring too, but in the last season they actually progressed the Red John plot and brought it to a conclusion (albeit a somewhat anti-climactic one). The dilemma now is that the Red John obsession was the character's motivation for working with law enforcement, and with that resolved...???