TotallyOz

Jane Fonda accepts the Cecil B. DeMille Award

I loved the speech from Fonda's acceptance. I grew up watching her movies and seeing her life. On Golden Pond was something that even my mom and I loved. Few movies did that. She is great!

"We are a community of storytellers, aren't we and in turbulent, crisis-torn times like this, storytelling has always been essential. You see, stories have a way to change our hearts and our minds," Fonda shared. "They can help us see each each other in a new light. To have empathy, to recognize that, for all of our diversity, we are humans first."

"Stories, they really can change people," she shared. "But there's a story we have been afraid to see and hear about ourselves and this industry. The story about which voices we respect and elevate and which we tune out. A story of who is offered a seat at the table and who is kept out of the room where decisions are made." 

"So let's all of us, including all the groups that decide who gets hired and what gets made and who wins awards, let's all of us make an effort to expand that tent," she continued. "So that everyone rises and everyone's story has a chance to be seen and heard."

https://ew.com/awards/golden-globes/jane-fonda-cecil-b-demille-speech/

On Golden Pond was a lovely movie. Jane Fonda was great as were her father and Katherine Hepburn. My favourite Fonda scene, though, is from Klute where she plays a hooker. At one point she has been picked up and is giving a dull guy a good time. The camera then focuses on her bored face as she raises her hand to check the time on her watch. Clearly she is thinking how much longer do I have to go through this before I get my cash!