TotallyOz

Multi Tasking Now on IPads

The new OS for IPads allows for multi tasking and other fun things. It is a major update for those with an IPad in Thailand. The prices for the IPads in Thailand have also come down quite a bit since the beginning and there are ample supplies at Tuk Com and at MBK.

Guest beachlover
The prices for the IPads in Thailand have also come down quite a bit since the beginning and there are ample supplies at Tuk Com and at MBK.

When did they start selling the iPads in Thailand?

Earlier this year I spent a few days in a casual affair with a Thai boy who had one of these and was using it a lot. He bought it while studying overseas and said he couldn't get even simple accessories for it in Thailand because they hadn't started selling it yet and there was no launch date for the iPad set for Thailand...

They have been selling them in Thailand since they were selling them in USA. Why? They are bought overseas and sold here for a higher price. I have bought tons of accessories this way for my IPad. Go to any phone area of the malls and they should have them.

The prices are a bit higher than in USA but much better than 2 months ago. When Hong Kong started selling the IPad the availability of them in Thailand increased and thus the price went down.

Guest beachlover

That's strange. This was back in June/July I was with him. We went to an Apple retail store in Gaysorn Shopping Centre in Bangkok and there were no iPads in sight and he wasn't able to get an adapter (with a Thailand plug) he wanted.

He's got a Mac Book, an iPad and an iPhone... an Apply nut like you. :)

That's strange. This was back in June/July I was with him. We went to an Apple retail store in Gaysorn Shopping Centre in Bangkok and there were no iPads in sight and he wasn't able to get an adapter (with a Thailand plug) he wanted.

He's got a Mac Book, an iPad and an iPhone... an Apply nut like you. :)

First mistake, an Apple store is not going to sell merchandise that is not yet authorized in Thailand. :)

You have to simply go to where all the phones are sold in most towns. I saw them the week after release in both Bangkok and in Pattaya. I have friends that bought them. I got mine in the USA and have bought accessories in Thailand with no problem.

I will say, the IPad is pretty amazing and a great device. I go nutty for it! :)

Guest beachlover

Ah, fair enough. So the iPad isn't officially authorised to be sold in Thailand yet? Maybe the "unauthorised" ones on sale won't have Thai electric plugs anyway...

I've come across and used them a couple of time. They are amazing devices with some great qualities but also some infuriating lackings. I can't justify getting one for myself yet. My laptop is an ultra-light, very powerful and I carry it everywhere.

Ah, fair enough. So the iPad isn't officially authorised to be sold in Thailand yet? Maybe the "unauthorised" ones on sale won't have Thai electric plugs anyway...

I've come across and used them a couple of time. They are amazing devices with some great qualities but also some infuriating lackings. I can't justify getting one for myself yet. My laptop is an ultra-light, very powerful and I carry it everywhere.

Most Apple products have a 110-240 adapter. You will have no problem in LOS.

The IPad is not a laptop replacement IMHO. It is more of a fun gadget. If it had the ability to hook to an Ethernet, I might be willing to call it more of a replacement. But, it is not there yet and I don't see it getting there anytime soon.

For me, I love it as I can check e-mail, surf on the web and use all the apps. There is little I would not use it for like a laptop. But, still it is small memory and does not have all the functions of a full computer. I agree, it is amazing!

Guest beachlover

He got his while studying in Japan.

Yeah, you are right about its functionality. Lack of Ethernet cable plug, USB ports and piss poor memory are what rule it out for me. I mean, 16 or 32 GBs is nothing! It's even a hassle to use it as an entertainment device. You can't store shit with 16GB when it comes to music and video. You have to pay a lot for the 64GB model.

Lack of Ethernet cable plug, USB ports and piss poor memory are what rule it out for me. I mean, 16 or 32 GBs is nothing! It's even a hassle to use it as an entertainment device. You can't store shit with 16GB when it comes to music and video. You have to pay a lot for the 64GB model.

Apple markets it as an easy to use device to surf the web and play media - what are you trying to turn it into?

the need for an Ethernet port I don't understand - the Wi-Fi version supports 802.11a/b/g/n and 802.11n routers are fairly cheap these days for home network use and out and about you are more likely to find Wi-Fi rather than RJ-45 jacks so what are you doing at home that justifies tethering it to a cable to get gigabit Ethernet speeds? and you probably should be doing it on your desktop PC anyway!

piss poor memory? I can fit my entire music collection and quite a few hours of TV or movies easily in 32 GB, which is more than enough for a small convenient to carry "entertainment" device such as my smartphone or an iPad. if you want a home entertainment system there are many options available, even from Apple. I have a WD-TV with 2 TB of hard disk attached (and they are ultra-portable disks and the media player is ultra-portable as well if I really need to take my entire movie collection away for the weekend).

I am no Apple fanboi and there are many reasons why I would never buy an iPad but putting up straw man cases that that what you really want is a desktop/notebook/netbook/home media center replacement and the iPad is not it because it does not have Ethernet or enough memory is really a bit of a waste of time - try it on slashdot.org, the anti-Apple set there really go for it!

bkkguy

the need for an Ethernet port I don't understand - the Wi-Fi version supports 802.11a/b/g/n and 802.11n routers are fairly cheap these days for home network use and out and about you are more likely to find Wi-Fi rather than RJ-45 jacks so what are you doing at home that justifies tethering it to a cable to get gigabit Ethernet speeds? and you probably should be doing it on your desktop PC anyway!

The need? Well, some hotels do not have Wifi and only use Ethernet. If you are in one of those places and you want access to the Internet, what do you do? There is no way for the IPad to connect to the Internet.

As for memory, I have the 64G and it is sufficient for me. But, that does not mean I would not enjoy 256G. :)

The need? Well, some hotels do not have Wifi and only use Ethernet. If you are in one of those places and you want access to the Internet, what do you do?

in the last three years I have not stayed in a hotel that has Ethernet only with no Wi-Fi but your mileage may vary, but I would not hold your breath waiting for an iPad with an RJ-45 jack!

bkkguy

Guest beachlover
what are you trying to turn it into?

Yeah, you're right. Everyone I know who's got one says it's definitely not a laptop replacement, unless you have a desktop at work and only want something for (very) light browsing and multimedia (photos etc.) at home.

For much less cash you can get a netbook with greater specs and versatility, but then you would be sacrificing the fun, sensual, experience the iPad gives you, which is its main selling point (so sexy, I've been trying to justify getting one but can't think of a justifiable need!).

The need? Well, some hotels do not have Wifi and only use Ethernet. If you are in one of those places and you want access to the Internet, what do you do? There is no way for the IPad to connect to the Internet.

in the last three years I have not stayed in a hotel that has Ethernet only with no Wi-Fi but your mileage may vary, but I would not hold your breath waiting for an iPad with an RJ-45 jack!

GayThailand is right. There are lots of situations where there is no wireless you need an ethernet connection.

Don't know where you've been staying the last three years but I find it hard to believe you didn't stay in a single place, which only offered ethernet (no wi-fi) in room. I've stayed at HEAPS of hotels where the only possibility for in-room connection was via an ethernet cable. In Bangkok alone... Ballys Suite Silom definitely only had cables in room. I'm pretty sure Le Meridien was cable only (didn't try wireless). And I'm pretty sure Sofitel and Dusit Thani only offered wireless in the exec lounge and ethernet in your room.

Some offices are also only rigged with a network connected by ethernet cables, no wireless so if you happen to be visiting one of these and can't ethernet up... you're stuffed.

For much less cash you can get a netbook with greater specs and versatility, but then you would be sacrificing the fun, sensual, experience the iPad gives you, which is its main selling point (so sexy, I've been trying to justify getting one but can't think of a justifiable need!).

of course - nobody buys Apple products for the features or value for money, they buy because they think they are sexy!

Don't know where you've been staying the last three years but I find it hard to believe you didn't stay in a single place, which only offered ethernet (no wi-fi) in room. I've stayed at HEAPS of hotels where the only possibility for in-room connection was via an ethernet cable. In Bangkok alone... Ballys Suite Silom definitely only had cables in room. I'm pretty sure Le Meridien was cable only (didn't try wireless). And I'm pretty sure Sofitel and Dusit Thani only offered wireless in the exec lounge and ethernet in your room.

to

in BKK all the places I send people to on a scale from high-end to basic including Le Meridian, Tarntawan, Siam Heritage and Om Yim all have Wi-Fi in room, in Pattaya/Jomtien and Chiang Mai I tend to stay in boutique style places and they all have Wi-Fi in room, last time I was in Singapore Wi-Fi coverage was good enough without having to rely on the hotel service, in Sydney I use 3G

Some offices are also only rigged with a network connected by ethernet cables, no wireless so if you happen to be visiting one of these and can't ethernet up... you're stuffed.

that is why you buy the 3G version - but in Thailand you are still fairly stuffed unless you are happy with Edge speeds!!

bkkguy