Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is Cuba opening up?

Featured Replies

Associated Press

Cuba embraces 2 surprising free-market reforms

By WILL WEISSERT (AP)

HAVANA — Cuba has issued a pair of surprising free-market decrees, allowing foreign investors to lease government land for up to 99 years — potentially touching off a golf-course building boom — and loosening state controls on commerce to let islanders grow and sell their own fruit and vegetables.

The moves, published into law in the Official Gazette on Thursday and Friday and effective immediately, are significant steps as President Raul Castro promises to scale back the communist state's control of the economy while attempting to generate new revenue for a government short on cash.

"These are part of the opening that the government wants to make given the country's situation," said Oscar Espinosa Chepe, a state-trained economist who is now an anti-communist dissident.

Cuba said it was modifying its property laws "with the aim of amplifying and facilitating" foreign investment in tourism, and that doing so would provide "better security and guarantees to the foreign investor."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gG8qLd4ozL5rvaQHbiJPOHvtnRpQD9HS34FO0

  • Active Members

It's a start. I like the free enterprise production of produce. It will show the power of private enterprise on a local scale.

As for the 99 year leases, what the government giveth the government can taketh away at any time, without government laws backed up by institutions above the actions of the executive. In my mind that requires the free election of the executive to a limited term.

I've seen that government in action before when it comes to private property.

Like I said, it is a start.

  • Active Members

So you think it will be a while before the Cuban government is selling permits to piss on Fidel's grave? :P

"potentially touching off a golf-course building boom"

Golf courses, WTF? I was hoping for a Gay Strip Club building boom :P

I look forward to the day, which I believe will be soon, where we can freely travel to Cuba. When I lived in Miami I had some amazing times with hot Cuban companions.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.