October 25, 201114 yr titubant \TICH-oo-buhnt\, noun: A disturbance of body equilibrium in standing or walking, resulting in an uncertain gait and trembling. Byron did something of the kind in Don Juan; and the world at large is still quivering and titubant under the shock of his appeal. -- W. E. Henley, "The Secret of Wordsworth," The Pall Mall Magazine, Volume 30, 1903 Sir Oran's mode of progression being very vacillating, indirect, and titubant; enough so, at least, to show that he had not completely danced off the effects of the Madeira. -- Thomas Love Peacock, Melincourt, Volume 1 Titubant derives from the Latin titubātiōn- meaning a staggering, equivalent to titubāt, past participle of titubāre to stagger + -iōn-.
October 25, 201114 yr Not to hijack your thread with triviality, but I also learned a new word today from one of my 20 something friends: SLORE (slut and a whore) hmmm, I can see where I might use that occasionally. . .
October 25, 201114 yr Author SLORE (slut and a whore) hmmm, I can see where I might use that occasionally. . . First time I heard that term. Thanks. I think there are many of us here who resemble that remark. Hello. My Name is Oz. I am a Slore! (first night of 12 steps)
October 25, 201114 yr titubant \TICH-oo-buhnt\, noun: A disturbance of body equilibrium in standing or walking, resulting in an uncertain gait and trembling. Byron did something of the kind in Don Juan; and the world at large is still quivering and titubant under the shock of his appeal. -- W. E. Henley, "The Secret of Wordsworth," The Pall Mall Magazine, Volume 30, 1903 Sir Oran's mode of progression being very vacillating, indirect, and titubant; enough so, at least, to show that he had not completely danced off the effects of the Madeira. -- Thomas Love Peacock, Melincourt, Volume 1 Titubant derives from the Latin titubātiōn- meaning a staggering, equivalent to titubāt, past participle of titubāre to stagger + -iōn-. Note that the quotes are both more than a century old. I doubt that anyone has had occasion to use the term recently. However, it is going to enter my vocabulary for use the next time I visit my doctor.
October 26, 201114 yr Author Note that the quotes are both more than a century old. I doubt that anyone has had occasion to use the term recently. However, it is going to enter my vocabulary for use the next time I visit my doctor. It was in crossword puzzle last week and I have never heard the word so I missed it. I looked it up.
October 27, 201114 yr Author Ever since my operation, I've been a little titubant. Really? Is this the real you? I had pictured something very different!
October 27, 201114 yr Active Members I had pictured something very different! Somethin' tells me you picture everybody like that.
October 27, 201114 yr Active Members Ever since my operation, I've been a little titubant. This lady has absolutely no chance of drowning. You can take that to the bank.
October 27, 201114 yr Active Members Really? Is this the real you? I had pictured something very different! Arggg matey, I'll run you thru!! It'll go easier on you if you grab your ankles.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.