Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Walter Isaacson

Featured Replies

He is the author of Einstein: His Life and Universe, Ben Frankilin: An American Life and of course Steve Jobs.

In his acknowledgments (from in his book Einstein),

"I had two and a half other readers who were the most valuable of all. The first was my father, Irwin Isaacson, an engineer who instilled in me a love of science and is the smartest teacher I've ever had. I am grateful to him for the universe that he and my late mother created for me, and to my brilliant and wise stepmother, Julanne"

I want my life to be like his parents. What a wonderful writer he is.

  • Active Members

For once, we completely agree. I have enjoyed the biographies of both Albert and Ben, although I have to admit they read like very readable term papers. I have not read the SJ book and have no plans to do so at the moment. That may change.

Best regards,

RA1

I am not interested in reading his biography of Jobs, but I, too, liked his bio of Franklin. I was first introduced to Isaacson, however, by one of his earlier books, "The Wise Men," about a group of six important American political figures of the 1940s and 50s, who had a major influence on foreign policy. One of the six was Dean Acheson, in whom I have long been been interested, since his daughter was a friend of mine. Isaacson's work is very accessible, and it doesn't have any noticeable political slant, which makes it pleasant reading.

I've just started the book on Steve Jobs. I haven't read any of his other books. So this will be a new author for me.

Some people attack his writing style as amateur and elementary. I hope they are not on this board because I'm afraid what they might think of my awful writing skill. ^_^

I can't say anything about his writing skill but I love how he solves the diificulty of delivering of highly complicated scientific concepts to the general public. I think he has solved it well. There are some errors but that is because he is a journalist/writer not a scientist.

The most positive aspect of his books in my opinion is what he is trying to deliver and he himself practice consciously and unconsciously in writing his books: creativity and originality. I can see his creative activity in his books and that's why so many people read them. His books have errors and his subjects are not all perfect people but they did something that changed the world. I may not be Einstein or Franklin or Jobs or have met them but I appreciate the fact that I get to know that at least through books.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.