August 6, 201214 yr I had a friend from my childhood read all my posts about gay marriage and sent me this: "If there is a redefinition of marriage, where do you think the line should be drawn? Should Mormons be allowed to have more than one spouse? Should 1st cousins be allowed to marry each other? I know how you feel about gay marriage and you all know that I love and respect each of you. How you live your life is your own business. I was just curious what your thoughts were on the other spectrum's." How would you respond in a way as not to offend?
August 7, 201214 yr Sounds like this person has either been listening to Fox News or Pat Robertson. I think that is a dangerous discussion to get into. I would respond by saying, "as a gay person I want the opportunity to find love and marry (or not) the person of my dreams. That's no different than my straight friends. As far as I'm concerned it's about love and not anything else."
August 7, 201214 yr The difference is that polygamy is that, unlike gay marriage, would fundamentally alter the fabric of society. That's because men can easily move between monogamy and polygamy. Successful men would take on multiple wives. Research has indicated that, in such societies, most women would prefer to be one of several wives of a successful man rather than the only wife of an unsuccessful one. So you'd end up with a lot of unhappy, poor young men who can't get sex. Gay marriage has no such effect on society since people are either gay or not.
August 7, 201214 yr Active Members The difference is that polygamy is that, unlike gay marriage, would fundamentally alter the fabric of society. That's because men can easily move between monogamy and polygamy. Successful men would take on multiple wives. Research has indicated that, in such societies, most women would prefer to be one of several wives of a successful man rather than the only wife of an unsuccessful one. So you'd end up with a lot of unhappy, poor young men who can't get sex. So you're sayin' that if we let the rich old Mormons have lots of wives, we'd end up with a bunch of horny young guys who are temporarily short of funds? Hmm.
August 7, 201214 yr I don't know how to respond on this one without offending someone. One only has to look around the non-western world, or even the western world in past ages, to realize that "marriage" is a social construct, which societies define differently. Polygamy and polyandry have been considered acceptable in certain times and places, child marriages have been relatively commonplace (even among European nobility), incest is defined differently in different cultures, and same-sex marriage has occurred at various times in different cultures. Personally, I would only draw the line at those who are incapable of giving informed consent, basically children under the age of 12 and animals.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.