February 20, 200818 yr The following appears in the PATTAYA CITY NEWS: _____ 2 Day Bar Closure This Weekend Due to Senate Elections and Religious Holiday On Tuesday Morning at Pattaya City Hall a seminar for election workers took place in preparation for the first two days of voting for the Senate or Upper House Elections. On 23rd of this month those who reside in Pattaya but are registered in another province will be able to vote in this first phase of voting. Unfortunately, this will mean that bars and other late night entertainment venues will have to close from 6pm on 22nd until Midnight on 23rd. This election also coincides with Maka Bouscha Day on 21st February when bars are expected to close in observance of this religious holiday. The seminar explained to the election workers their individual jobs and how the election day will be organized to ensure they are working in accordance with regulations set by the Election Commission.
February 20, 200818 yr Clearly a weekend to plan ahead and stock up on goodies ...maybe a little in-house or in-room party.
February 20, 200818 yr Author Personally, I can understand why a religious holiday would cause the bars to be closed, but I have yet to understand why an election would close the bars and the other entertainment venues. The last time I checked, voting takes place during daytime hours. What does that have to do with nighttime venues? Also, since bar employees old enough to vote can do so right here in Pattaya, then what's the point of closing the bars? If the idea is to keep people from getting so drunk that they can't vote, then I can see ordering the bars not to serve alcohol, but at least giving them the option of remaining open and serving soft drinks if they so choose. It's one more item on my ever-growing "I Don't Get It" list.
February 20, 200818 yr I always heard that the ban on alcohol sales during election period was to prevent elected officilas from bribing voters with pay-off of drinks during that day or that night after polls close. Of course, you could always bribe them the day before or after the elections but it seems election day itself is the day they want to prevent this from happening. - big parties for backers, etc Personally, I can understand why a religious holiday would cause the bars to be closed, but I have yet to understand why an election would close the bars and the other entertainment venues. The last time I checked, voting takes place during daytime hours. What does that have to do with nighttime venues? Also, since bar employees old enough to vote can do so right here in Pattaya, then what's the point of closing the bars? If the idea is to keep people from getting so drunk that they can't vote, then I can see ordering the bars not to serve alcohol, but at least giving them the option of remaining open and serving soft drinks if they so choose. It's one more item on my ever-growing "I Don't Get It" list.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.