Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Time To Move On

Featured Replies

Well I know about a year ago I toyed with the idea of moving. But now its time .... I must have gypsy blood in me because I cannot seem to live anywhere longer than 5 or so years.

Anyway, I wanna stay in the states and have ruled out a few places like anywhere in California, Texas (except Austin) and also Nevada (except Reno).

A few places I have looked at are NE Ohio, Reno, NV, and Austin, TX.

Any other suggestions? Any info on the above few places?

  • Active Members

Do you know why you want to move (other than wanderlust)? Just a change of scenery? Change of acquaintances? Change of climate? Austin is going to be pretty hot if you are not "ready" for that. From what you have said about your personal life, RNO may not be a good choice. What do you mean by NE Ohio? CLE? Somewhere near Lake Erie? Somewhere near the rubber capital? (AKR). Here is pretty close to the "secondary" rust belt of America and may be good but I think you need a reason for it to be good.

I have no specific recommendations, but I might if you answered my questions. ^_^

CLE = Cleveland

AKR = Akron

RNO = Reno

Best regards,

RA1

  • Active Members

RA1 raises some good questions. I suppose I would also ask about what kinds of things interest you as far as activities, hobbies, etc. I can give you first hand experience for NE Ohio as I have lived here on and off for most of my life (and I would try my best to be objective).

  • Active Members

wayout-

We KNOW what kind of activities he likes. ^_^ The question is what else does he want? ^_^

Early in my career I spent a lot of time in CMH (Columbus) + a fair amount of time in AKR. Goodyear had a large plant at AKR which installed de-ice equipment (mainly wing and leading edge surface rubber boots) and they were located in a blimp hangar. A blimp hangar is interesting for its' shape, if nothing else. All good times. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

A few good questions guys that are difficult to answer. I think part of it is wanderlust... A change of scenery would be most welcomed. I do not mind warm or cold weather over all. I have lived in Cleveland decades ago and lived many years in Las Vegas.

I am not concerned with "gay" attractions such as bars and so on. Even though I no longer play poker I do need to be within an hour or so of a casino which puts Austin a bit at odds.

I am more concerned about cost of living, low crime, good healthcare and reasonable arts community or nearby universities.

Hope this answers your questions ^_^

  • Active Members

Have you thought about Lexington Kentucky? It has gotten some good reviews and I believe it is on the Forbes 2013 list of best places to live or retire (not sure which). Relatively low cost of living, moderate weather, university town and I am pretty sure they have a casino there. If not, Cincinnati is only an hour and a half drive away and they have a new casino there. Not sure about health care.

NE Ohio does pretty well for most of your criteria, assuming you like variety of weather, and in the right areas crime isn't an issue as in other areas. The strong points are healthcare and reasonable housing.

I think it is great that you have the adventurous spirit to pick up and move to new places.

After decades of decline, the Youngstown, OH, area is enjoying a renaissance, much of it generated by YSU. (NPR recently did a feature about it.) Good housing is still an incredible bargain. I believe that casinos are now legal in Pennsylvania, which is only a few miles away.

My partner grew up in Youngstown, so I have been familiar with the area for many years, but I couldn't live there because of the climate.

I like North Carolina college towns but it's a bit still conservative, if it were not the case then I would recommend NC. ^_^ The weather is mild except hot a couple of months in the summer. Otherwise it doesn't get too cold in the winter.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.