Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Red Ink and Death

Featured Replies

I came across "101 things you did not know about Thailand" on the Paknam website. Number 3 was, "You should only write the name of people in red ink, if they are dead or wish them to be dead."

How true is this? Someone said that it is more of a Chinese thing than a Thai issue. I bought a bunch of pens at a close-out sale to give away to children on an upcoming Laos trip. It turns out they are red ink pens. I am wondering if this will be a problem?

I came across "101 things you did not know about Thailand" on the Paknam website. Number 3 was, "You should only write the name of people in red ink, if they are dead or wish them to be dead."

How true is this? Someone said that it is more of a Chinese thing than a Thai issue. I bought a bunch of pens at a close-out sale to give away to children on an upcoming Laos trip. It turns out they are red ink pens. I am wondering if this will be a problem?

 

To the best of my knowledge, red ink has no connection with death or curses for most Chinese. Red is generally considered to be a most fortunate colour signifying prosperity and luck - writing your name in red ink is usually reserved for joyful occasions like weddings or birthdays or to wish someone good luck.

 

The taboo you read about might be an exclusively Thai-Chinese thing since I know that Chinese traditions, customs and beliefs do tend to change from one dialectical community to another, let alone when intermixed with the native traditions of various Southeast Asian countries though I have never heard of such a thing from any of my relatives in either Hatyai or Bangkok.

 

I hope this helps.

I hope this helps.

 

This does help. Thank-you. I guess if the kids don't like the red pens, they can throw them away.

I found an interesting article on traditional Thai weddings at: http://www.thaisingleclub.com/index.php?op...4&Itemid=31

 

At the end of the article they stated: "At a Thai wedding names are never written in red ink as this symbolises death and red ink is only ever used to write the name of the deceased next to a coffin in a temple."

Thanks for the additional info. I guess it must be an exclusively Thai tradition that I never had occasion to hear about from my relatives in Thailand. I'll keep this in mind next time I am in Thailand.

Thanks for the additional info. I guess it must be an exclusively Thai tradition that I never had occasion to hear about from my relatives in Thailand. I'll keep this in mind next time I am in Thailand.

 

Another one: If one was born on a Thursday, he/she should never carry a black wallet. This is not very fortunate.

 

I came across "101 things you did not know about Thailand" on the Paknam website. Number 3 was, "You should only write the name of people in red ink, if they are dead or wish them to be dead."

How true is this?

 

I am not superstitious and I am usually reluctant to participate with superstitious nonsense like this, but being worried about my country I decided to consult the Augeries and haruspices. As of 0830 your time the state of Pennsylvania was announced as being won by Obama. There is no way McCain can win now. It will be hours before the press announces the USA win for Obama, but it is all over but the shouting.

 

As of 0830 your time the state of Pennsylvania was announced as being won by Obama. There is no way McCain can win now. It will be hours before the press announces the USA win for Obama, but it is all over but the shouting.

 

Looks like Obama has Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Mexico, and Iowa. Not much chance for McCain now.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.