Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

PTG reg verbs- present

Featured Replies

Portuguese regular verbs - present tense. The smaller number of irregular verbs vary from the following rules.

Get to know a few verbs in the "to know" infinitive form. a lot of the guys will understand a verb infinitive even when incorrectly conjugated with a preceding subject and subsequent object.

I might say, for example, "I to like caipirinhas" before memorizing the present tense "I like ... "

Even better, a great start is mastering present verb tense for the verbs. The verbs (infinitives) end in -ar, -er, and -ir.

All present indicative verb tense forms conjugate from the stem of the infinitive, that is, the infinitive minus the ar, er, or ir.

Unlike continental, you and he/she conjugate the same.

Four person subject pronouns: I (1st sing.), You/He/She (2nd/3rd sing.), We (1st pl.), You/They (2nd/3rd pl.)

                                                 -AR                          -ER                            -IR

 PRESENT                              o a a a                       o e e e                      o e i e

Rules for plural: "mos" is appended to all 1st person plural conjugations; "m" is appended to 2nd/3rd person plural conjugations.

For example: to like - gostar ... gosto, gosta, gostamos, gostam.

Hope I have got this right.

I find present tense easy because I have this tune in my head: Oh, ah, ah, ah; oh, ee, ee, ee; oh, ee, eye, ee.

 

Here is a more expanded guideline for various tenses

Portuguese verbs - the 3 regular verb infinitive forms/classes, guidelines for 72 verb endings

6 conjugations (first 5 are indicative):
Present                                               I eat
Past imperfect                                   I was eating
Past perfect                                       I ate
Future                                                 I will eat
(Future can also be formed by the verb ir, to go ... I am going to eat) - ir is irregular)
Conditional                                         I would eat
Present subjunctive (imperative)     Eat (one word command)

Verb base types: The future and conditional conjugate from the infinitive; the others from the stem.

4 persons: I (1st sing.), You/He/She (2nd/3rd sing.), We (1st pl.), You/They (2nd/3rd pl.)

The dotted lines mean the endings are the same as the set directly preceding (left to right)

                                                    -AR                          -ER                            -IR

PRESENT                              o a a a                          o e e e                      o e i e

PAST IMPERFECT               ava ava áva ava             ia ia ia ia                   - - - -

PAST PERFECT                     ei ou a ara                   ie eu e era                i iu i ira

FUTURE                                 ei á e âo                          - - - -                      - - - -

CONDITIONAL                       ia ia ia ia                          - - - -                      - - - -

IMPERATIVE, pres. subjnct.   e e e e                            a a a a                      - - - -

Rules for plural: "mos" is appended to all 1st person plural conjugations; "m" is appended to all 2nd/3rd person plural conjugations except future indicative

Present progressive, I am eating, is denoted by the verb estar [to be - temporary, as opposed to ser (permanent)], person-conjugated followed by verb stem and: ando, endo, indo.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.