Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cold in Ubon Ratchathani

Featured Replies

I have been living in Ubon for nearly a year (April last year), and have really enjoyed living here. But, today is the first day that I would call it Cold. It has always cooled down in the evening, more so since mid October, but this morning I would actually call it cold ( I don't hae a good thermometer, but guess upper 40's??? All the locals are outside standing around small "campfires" or charcoal with jactkets trying to get warm,). I am usually up early in the morning, and today it is several degrees cooler than any other day. Yesterday was windy, which didn't allow it to warm up much.

 

I planted a garden in May, and only the corn survived...the rest grew for a while and then died, I think from the hot days. Now, with a November plant, everything is growing great so far, and looks healthy. The "winter, dry season" weather here is really great.

 

Another great thing is seeing a clear crisp blue sky here nearly every morning, rather than the dull grey I always saw in Bangkok, and often in Pattaya also.

 

I know that this won't last long, and the rainy season will be starting soon...like late March to early May. Summers aren't bad though. Evveryone told me I would hate the rain here in Ubon. But that hasn't been the case. There have only been about three days where it rained all day. Most of the rain comes in the form of a late afternoon/evening thunderstorm, and an hour later you only know it rained by the puddles and the humidity.

 

So I can live with the weather here...and enjoy it!!!

GaySacGuy

 

Same up here in Khon Kaen. I moved up here about 4 months ago and this is a very cold morning. Not been outside far enough to see the 'camp' fires yet but I expect there are some around. They had them going during the last cold spell and they are what I say 'camp' fires with the screaming ladyboys that are around here.

This does save on the air con bills as we've not had it on for a few days now. Electric bill should be well down this month.

So you have started a veg garden if I read you right. I am trying some potatoes at the moment and the tops are flying up. This must be the right time to grow them but I will not be sure until I dig down to get the potatoes out. Some people tell me that they have tried and got no produce. Have you tried this yet.

Great thing about living up here is the air as you say, crisp mornings at the moment. The air is fresh compared to Pattaya and Bangkok. Don't know why I stayed in Pattaya so long.

There's a great life outside Pattaya but I think you need to have a permanent partner as I have to do it.

 

 

It is evening....5:40 pm, and it is already very cool. I have closed up the house to try to keep it warm...this is amazing.

 

My power bill has dropped from ove 3000 baht at the peak of the hot season, and now down to 1200 baht, and this includes an electric over that I use quit a bit.

 

Yes, I have started a vegetabel garden...corn, string beans, cucumbers are all going strong, and catalope and watermelon just coming out of the ground. The cucumbers are nearly ready to start harvesting. I have never tried potatoes, but find the potatoes here quite yellow compared to good Idaho spuds.

 

I find this a great place to live. I am going to Vietnam for a week, and will be interesting to see the changes in the garden.

Try papaya...it grows very quickly. Mango and bananas (if you have enough water) also grow well. Yes, cucumber is a huge success. I live in southern Ubon. Bht3,000 for electricity! Wow, you are cool! I have ceiling fans...as I do in my Bangkok condo and don't miss aircon...even though it's installed.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.