Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

High cost medication hospitalization in LOS

Featured Replies

I have a NZ friend who has settled into Australia and is entitled to seniors care.

He is not a well man and each day takes 17 different tablets, all of which are supplied free by the Government. I estimate worth over 30,000 baht per month. Medical visits, hospitalization ,monthly blood tests and regular scans are all free.

 

On my last visit to Pattaya, a Brit expat who has lived in Pattaya 20+ years was complaining that his disability insurance is not covering everything as he expected. An operation left him 5000 pounds out of pocket and he was outraged.

 

He is seriously considering returning to the cold bitter weather of the UK as his savings are being depleted by a stricter interpretation of pre exisiting illness. Another similar operation might be necessary. I believe it would be free in the UK.

 

I am well aware of Australian residents returning every 6 months to stock up on their medications. They claim it is well worth the airfare and inconvenience to do so.

 

What happens to those that cannot afford to do so, is worrying.

 

On another forum was a cut and pasted article about all the people leaving Pattaya for other countries. These are younger and fitter men. All I see in Pattaya are the retired or close to retirement expats who seem to be getting bigger each visit.

 

One of those expats who I would call close to obese, is worried about needing a flight and not being allowed onboard, because of his medical condition. I dont know what his medical problem is but he feels he could need to be stretchered. He has 200,000 baht set aside to get him home asap.

 

I am sceptical about the reason some give for relocating to another country. Sometimes it seems the decision was taken overnight. I am aware of those poor souls who become flying farang when their money runs out.

 

But there has been little posted about suviving when your health starts to go down hill rapidly.

On my last visit to Pattaya, a Brit expat who has lived in Pattaya 20+ years was complaining that his disability insurance is not covering everything as he expected . . . He is seriously considering returning to the cold bitter weather of the UK as his savings are being depleted by a stricter interpretation of pre exisiting illness. Another similar operation might be necessary. I believe it would be free in the UK.

The British National Health regulations have been tightened up quite considerably and British expats no longer automatically qualify for free treatment in the UK if they have lived outside the country for a long period of time.

 

• Anyone who lives outside the UK for more than three months is no longer automatically entitled to free NHS hospital treatment.

If he has been paying the voluntary National Insurance contributions during his absence, he has a slightly better chance. If he has not, then he almost certainly will have difficulties.

 

I have lived outside the UK for almost 32 years. Although I have no health problems (so far!), I had always assumed that if I required any operation or long-term treatment not covered under my insurance policy, all I had to do was hop on a plane, stay with my brother or sister, pop in to a local hospital for the treatment and then return to Thailand. After all, I have kept on paying my National Insurance contributions even when living abroad.

 

However, the rules now state that treatment is only automatically provided if the patient intends to return permanently to live in the UK -

 

• An ex-pat who resumes their permanent residence in the UK is exempt from charges immediately.

Unlike in the past, proof of already having a residence in the UK is no longer acceptable as proof of returning. The new rules have another problem for long-time expats, even those receiving the UK state pension -

 

• Other UK state pensioners who are not considered ordinarily resident in the UK are entitled to free of charge to treatment the need for which arises during visits here, but not pre-planned treatment, as long as they have lived for ten years or more in the UK in past.

The quotes above are from the National Health Service regulations. My brother, who sent them to me last year, is a doctor. He claims a lot of leeway is given to hospitals to decide who qualifies and who does not. His advice to me? If I require a major operation or treatment, claim I am returning to live, and thereafter decide I have changed my mind :o That might well work for me with a relative working in the NHS system. How it will work with others, I just do not know.

 

Traveller Jim is the expert on health insurance matters and your friend should consult him. I am sure he will agree, though, that it is absolutely vital for anyone who decides to retire here to double check they have suitable and appropriate health insurance at a level to cover all illnesses.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.