Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Singapore's Lee Toning Down Anti-Gay Stance?

Featured Replies

Having taken a firm anti-gay stance for most of his life, Singapore

Might this be a signal of an impending shift in Singapore's colonial-era sodomy laws? Section 377A of the Singaporean Penal Code still punishes homosexuality with sentences of up to two years.

 

For such an amazing place to visit, I have always spent less time and money in Singapore for this reason. While finding guys to hook up is NEVER a problem, the thought of getting in trouble for this is enough to keep me away.

 

Singapore is an amazing modern city with a great flare. I hope that the mentality of the people will catch up to the architecture and atmosphere.

the thought of getting in trouble for this is enough to keep me away

You have missed out on a lot! I must have been there at least 100 times over the years and once spent the better part of several months staying at a hotel in Raffles City. It used to be so cruisy there! And provided you were discreet, there was never any problem whatever. Even when gay saunas started up, I think the police generally left them alone, perhaps because they were essentially membership clubs. But you only paid something like S$20 for lifetime membership plus the usual entry fee. One near Chinatown, Rairua, was the first to introduce nude nights - and they were hot! I think the only AYOR risk activity was making contact at the beach or a public swimming pool. That gorgeous hunk you invited to your hotel might well have been a policeman waiting to entrap you.

 

On my last visit, I did not have much time for cruising. I noticed that Raffles City was pretty dead. But I had no trouble having a nice time with a couple of guys from gayromeo.

If I remember correctly, isn't Singapore government policy already not to enforce these laws?

I thought the top brass decided the law was inappropriate, but figured they might not get the bill though parliament. Therefore they decided not to enforce the rules.

The rules did not stop me :p .

Entrapment used to be the major method of harassing gays. I think you are correct that the law has not been enforced for at least a couple of years.

 

The interesting thing about Singapore is that the government knows full well its continued prosperity depends to a massive degree on overseas companies to drive its economy. Wooing companies in key industries has been official government policy for several decades, and the tax and other incentives it has offered are huge compared to those offered elsewhere in the region. It must therefore become increasingly aware that it has to be sensitive to those corporations

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.