firecat69

Everest

Not so sure the trip is about being vain.  Some like adventure and to challenge themselves and really love these challenges.  I have a friend that has hiked to all of the 7 major summits and for him, it was to prove he could do it to himself. 

For me, I would love to helicopter to the top and take some photos.  Is that allowed? ;)

I have a friend that has hiked to all of the 7 major summits and for him, it was to prove he could do it to himself.

If they did it themselves and didn't risk the lives of others that might be valid. Let them do it carrying their own gear and not using the ladders and ropes that others risk their lives to put there for them.

If they did it themselves and didn't risk the lives of others that might be valid. Let them do it carrying their own gear and not using the ladders and ropes that others risk their lives to put there for them.

LOL I had someone tell me the same thing about my driver in Salvador, Brazil.  He was taking me to all the gay saunas in the city and in rough parts of town.  I told him it was not safe.  He said, he was use to doing it and it was his job and he understood the risks.

I watched it at the IMAX at Siam Paragon in 3D and it's really impressive. Definitely worth the extra 100-200 baht for IMAX in this particular case, for those who have an IMAX theater nearby. Also considering that they actually sent an IMAX film crew up to Everest (not to shoot this movie, obviously, but a documentary in 1998) after the 1996 disaster that's the plot of the current film.

Not in my wildest dreams would I ever consider such a climb. Helicopters cannot fly right to the top, that chap (Beck Weathers) was ultimately rescued quite a bit lower and even that was incredibly daring. He's the ultimate die hard, both in the movie and in real life, un-freaking-believable.

Excellent movie and makes you wonder why people continue to take the climb.

Mallory , famous British climber who perished on Mt Everest, when asked why he is climbing such  high and dangerous mountains apparently answered ' because they are"

let me think, a tent at Everest Base Camp .... or  Pattaya 

Not a really difficult decision for me to make.

As somebody who had pleasure to visit both places I dare to say, yes you are right. Pattaya seems even cleaner, surprisingly perhaps.

No, I did not go higher than Base Camp. If somebody is  curious , it may be surprising to some ,  Everest summit can't be seen from the Base Camp.

LOL I had someone tell me the same thing about my driver in Salvador, Brazil.  He was taking me to all the gay saunas in the city and in rough parts of town.  I told him it was not safe.  He said, he was use to doing it and it was his job and he understood the risks.

Why driver's argument may be valid, LOL is  a bit misplaced in the context sinec danger is real.

many a soldiers understood the risks and perished without consolation that they were right about that risk

If you think that's incredibly daring, have you tried crossing a street in Bangkok or Pattaya at rush hour?

I've been living in Bangkok since almost a decade, take your guess. ;)

Still doesn't mean I won't get hit by a car tonight... After all, that guy Rob Hall who died in that blizzard had successfully returned from the very same summit a whopping four times before...

A lot of pleasure can be had taking a brisk walk up more modest mountains, in the 800~4000m range.

The only time I've ever slept on a mountain was in a heated room, somewhere just below 3000m.  Spending days on end climbing some icy & dangerous peak just doesn't appeal.

Spending days on end climbing some icy & dangerous peak just doesn't appeal.

No  doubt some of those climbers would say the same about experience of sleeping with boy half of our age we so cherish.

It's good we humans are so diversified which  helps to keep many talented people in employment.

No  doubt some of those climbers would say the same about experience of sleeping with boy half of our age we so cherish.

Now that you've mentioned it, I've never had sex with a guy half my age. As I'm getting older, however, and having sex with someone half my age would be legal now, maybe it's about time. ;)

Now that you've mentioned it, I've never had sex with a guy half my age. As I'm getting older, however, and having sex with someone half my age would be legal now, maybe it's about time. ;)

here we go , from highest mountain on the world we descended straight to the bed.

Mallory , famous British climber who perished on Mt Everest, when asked why he is climbing such high and dangerous mountains apparently answered ' because they are"

Actually for the sake of accuracy ( and you may have meant this perhaps but autocorrect kicked in ?) but his reply when asked in 1924 by a New York Times reporter as to why he would want to climb Mount Everest etc his reply was " Because it's there".

Actually although he's famed for those 3 words his full reply was " “BECAUSE IT’S THERE… EVER­EST IS THE HIGH­EST MOUN­TAIN IN THE WORLD, AND NO MAN HAS REACHED ITS SUM­MIT. ITS EXIS­TENCE IS A CHAL­LENGE. THE ANSWER IS INSTINC­TIVE, A PART, I SUP­POSE, OF MAN’S DESIRE TO CON­QUER THE UNIVERSE.”

Mallory , famous British climber who perished on Mt Everest, when asked why he is climbing such  high and dangerous mountains apparently answered ' because they are"

Thank you.  Now I have another reason to pay what it takes to have sex with the nicest beauties in BKK:

"because they are there".  :)