Guest epigonos

Daddy's Site Down

Guest FourAces

Daddy does this at least once per year and it is insulting to members who participate and contribute and make the site successful.

I guarantee we will have our share of daddy leftovers ...

But they always go back. As disrespectful as daddy and deej are ... they always go back :lol:

• Members

I don't think Daddy had a melt down, I think he was just tired of the bickering. A vacation will be good for everyone.

I do agree with lurkerspeaks that leaving the site up to be read is a good idea even if no new posts can be made. He makes the good point that the message center is the cumulation of contributions by the members, and thus should be available to them for reading even while the management is on vacation.

• Members

...Onefinger, did you read his message? ...His last post on the MB was to say he was fed up with all this shit

Yes, I read his "gone fishing" post. Didn't see his last MB post.

I just know his site wasn't acting "normal" for the past few days. I made an assumption that he was fixing the problem.

But, is there anything wrong with someone taking a vacation? I go nuts when it's all work and no play. ;)

But, is there anything wrong with someone taking a vacation? I go nuts when it's all work and no play. ;)

No, there is not. I love vacations and probably travel way too much. Luckily, I have someone I trust totally to take care of the site when I am not around. TY is fantastic and I am so happy we have been working together harmoniously for so long. I know every message board needs such a close group of guys they can trust. Thanks TY for always having my back and letting me vacation over and over and over again! ^_^

Luckily, I have someone I trust totally to take care of the site when I am not around.

Wonderful remark. Let me bring the dark-side implication: it is a regrettable observation about daddy's psychological makeup that he has them as resources yet does not feel he can trust deej or Cooper to manage peacekeeping on his forum while he is away. Is it megalomania (as I one time said, he is not nor expected to be NORAD), pathological distrust of others, or pathological inability to trust his own choices?

Guest NCBored

Wonderful remark. Let me bring the dark-side implication: it is a regrettable observation about daddy's psychological makeup that he has them as resources yet does not feel he can trust deej or Cooper to manage peacekeeping on his forum while he is away. Is it megalomania (as I one time said, he is not nor expected to be NORAD), pathological distrust of others, or pathological inability to trust his own choices?

It's also possible that Daddy wasn't the only one who needed a vacation. Frankly, I think a LOT of people there needed a break.(and I'm not just talking about the Moderators). i think someone needed to hit the RESET button.

It's also possible that Daddy wasn't the only one who needed a vacation. Frankly, I think a LOT of people there needed a break.(and I'm not just talking about the Moderators). i think someone needed to hit the RESET button.

No quarrel with the need. But to think a shutdown will change things seems the ultimate triumph of hope over experience.

Guest NCBored

No quarrel with the need. But to think a shutdown will change things seems the ultimate triumph of hope over experience.

I suspect it will have some effect but is not likely to solve some of the underlying problems. :no:

Guest lurkerspeaks

To repeat earlier comment.. Vacation is understandable. Even a shutdown is understandable considering all of the "strong personalities"... But why remove all of the valuable information that is already there? Pull the "offending threads" which lead up to the current situation, leave all of the remaining info online, and put a block on any new posts for two weeks (or however long). I just feel to that to deprive people of valuable information is a bigger crime than the bitching that is/was going on.

Guest Fluffypuff

Nothing wrong with it. But I'm surprised he doesn't get some mods he trusts if he has issues with the current ones; there's no shortage of guys who would want to do it. And as Lurker said, it would have been nice to keep the board in a read-only state

Guest Fluffypuff

Since I'm getting a few PMs: My original guess was that this was about Max. Citylaw asked him whether he was BN, and Max replied with something like "Could be, possibly." I wondered if Daddy thought the board would blow up on Monday when the traffic tends to pick up. But that was just a conjecture.

(If this kind of post isn't allowed here, let me know and I'll delete.)

Guest NCBored

To repeat earlier comment.. Vacation is understandable. Even a shutdown is understandable considering all of the "strong personalities"... But why remove all of the valuable information that is already there? Pull the "offending threads" which lead up to the current situation, leave all of the remaining info online, and put a block on any new posts for two weeks (or however long). I just feel to that to deprive people of valuable information is a bigger crime than the bitching that is/was going on.

I agree that would be preferable. I don't know how difficult it would be, but I suspect it's possible. I can also see diabling the mailboxes, tho (assuming we're talking about the 'private' messages.) If there's as much 'behind the scenes' chatter as some people imply, certain topics might just continue to fester.

Nothing wrong with it. But I'm surprised he doesn't get some mods he trusts if he has issues with the current ones; there's no shortage of guys who would want to do it. And as Lurker said, it would have been nice to keep the board in a read-only state

I don't assume that shutting it down implies a lack of trust in the moderators - EVERYONE needs an occasional vacation.

And I'm not sure that there ARE a lot of suitable people willing and able to be moderators. It seems like a thankless task, to me. I think that many of us would find it hard to leave our preferences/views behind - and I doubt that we're aware of ALL our prejudices.

Guest lurkerspeaks

I don't assume that shutting it down implies a lack of trust in the moderators - EVERYONE needs an occasional vacation.

Everyone can use a nice vacation.. but how many companies send everyone on vacation at the same time (unless the "company" is planning a group vacation). You stagger the absences so the "company" continues to function minus one person.. And since we all know of Daddy's financial "difficulties", I find it hard to believe he took everyone on an extended vacation. It appears to me more of a case of "I don't trust anyone with the keys to the shop".

Guest NCBored

Everyone can use a nice vacation.. but how many companies send everyone on vacation at the same time (unless the "company" is planning a group vacation). You stagger the absences so the "company" continues to function minus one person.. And since we all know of Daddy's financial "difficulties", I find it hard to believe he took everyone on an extended vacation. It appears to me more of a case of "I don't trust anyone with the keys to the shop".

Like you, I don't know the reasons. By 'vacation', we're talking about a break from 'work' - no one suggested real trips or paid vacations.

By the way - I do know some manufacturing sites that close entirely for 2 weeks vacation in the summer.