citylaw1

Cruises?

• Members

I have never been on a cruise, usually opting for a week at a beach destination instead. Any recommendations or advice? From my research, it appears that living on a cruise ship, taking into account that food is included, is cheaper than staying in my NYC apartment. Perhaps I will perpetually cruise?

Guest hitoallusa

Yes food is included and most of entertainment too.. You just have to pay extra for excursions.. Why not try Bahamas or Central America.. Most of them leave in Miami.. If you want to start from Charleston or Savanah to Caribbean that's an option too.. Most people enjoy cruise.. I personally don't like being at a confined space for a long time though...

• Members
From my research, it appears that living on a cruise ship, taking into account that food is included, is cheaper than staying in my NYC apartment. Perhaps I will perpetually cruise?

My understanding is that some retirees have noticed that and spend the majority of their time on cruise ships, I think there is also talk of one or two that are to specialize in that kind of living aboard...

Food's included but isn't alcohol where they get you?

• Members

A cruise isn't for everyone but the cruise lines are well aware of the norovirus and take detailed efforts to minimize it. Likely you will find no touch hand sanitizers at every food outlet and perhaps a norovirus Nazi making sure you use them. ^_^

There isn't much sense of confinement on todays very large ships. Motion sickness can be a problem for some but with the stabilizers on large ships and their dedication to avoid if at all possible "rough seas", most are not affected by this. There are some "small effect" and "large effect" drugs available. The large effect drugs tend to make most sleepy so you might miss out on some things if you rely too heavily on them.

Yes, alcohol is where they make their money. If you want a bottle of wine with dinner, most lines have a "package deal" for every night at sea but you have to order it when you get on board and not later. Otherwise it just depends upon how heavy a drinker you wish to be on the cruise and what you are used to paying for drinks. If you live in NYC likely the drink prices will seem very reasonable. ^_^

Plenty of food is included but the "latest" inducement is "premium" restaurants which are optional. Tips can be an irksome final expenditure. Some lines include them and some only suggest various amounts for various servers.

The excursions can become expensive both to your wallet and your sleep. ^_^ I have found deals by just walking into town and looking around. Sometimes that is all I want to do, look around; other times I have found similar excursions for less money on the spot.

The stage entertainment is professional but your attitude about it will likely determine how well and how much you enjoy it. Seats are first come, first served. Usually there is an early and late show every night.

If you like to bring everything and unpack only once a week or longer cruise just might be for you. I always enjoyed mine.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
A cruise isn't for everyone but the cruise lines are well aware of the norovirus and take detailed efforts to minimize it. Likely you will find no touch hand sanitizers at every food outlet and perhaps a norovirus Nazi making sure you use them. :smile:

There isn't much sense of confinement on todays very large ships. Motion sickness can be a problem for some but with the stabilizers on large ships and their dedication to avoid if at all possible "rough seas", most are not affected by this. There are some "small effect" and "large effect" drugs available. The large effect drugs tend to make most sleepy so you might miss out on some things if you rely too heavily on them.

Yes, alcohol is where they make their money. If you want a bottle of wine with dinner, most lines have a "package deal" for every night at sea but you have to order it when you get on board and not later. Otherwise it just depends upon how heavy a drinker you wish to be on the cruise and what you are used to paying for drinks. If you live in NYC likely the drink prices will seem very reasonable. :smile:

Plenty of food is included but the "latest" inducement is "premium" restaurants which are optional. Tips can be an irksome final expenditure. Some lines include them and some only suggest various amounts for various servers.

The excursions can become expensive both to your wallet and your sleep. :smile: I have found deals by just walking into town and looking around. Sometimes that is all I want to do, look around; other times I have found similar excursions for less money on the spot.

The stage entertainment is professional but your attitude about it will likely determine how well and how much you enjoy it. Seats are first come, first served. Usually there is an early and late show every night.

If you like to bring everything and unpack only once a week or longer cruise just might be for you. I always enjoyed mine.

Best regards,

RA1

Now, the the hell do you choose a ship? I like luxury, but it seems that most out of Miami Ft Lauderdale aren't?

• Members

Without a doubt most cruises to the Gulf are quite ordinary, especially after taking one or two. Seemingly they all go to the same places, more or less, and offer the same amenities, more or less. Therefore going for a 1 week cruise from FLL or MIA or TPA is basically just choosing one's favorite cruise line. A price concession offered by one or more of the lines might be the determining factor at least among the upper tier of lines or probably the middle tier as most of the top tier does not operate such cruises.

Just pick HAL or Princess or whatever line seems attractive and go for it. Or, look at the tier just above those, Crystal and 1 or 2 others, and pick a cruise from them.

There are too many bargains among the middle tiers to choose from among the "bottom tiers". I have been satisfied with such as HAL and Princess and a couple of others but I am not looking for over the top luxury but rather simple good service with a medium sized ship. By medium size I mean not the new very large ships.

One "experiment" will tell you a lot about what line and what kind of ship and which destinations suit you the best. Don't be afraid to just pick one and go. The "right" companion can make up for any deficiencies. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1