TotallyOz

6 Days in Thailand and Low Budget: What to do and where to go?

I have some friends that have to go to a conference in Bangkok. They will stay for a night or two at the Holiday Inn on Silom. They will then spend 6 more days in the LOS. They are not gay. They are on a tight budget but want to see as much of the country as possible. They love riding motorcycles. They don't mind adventures like trains or buses but don't want to waste much time.

If you have 6 days to see Thailand with a limited budget and it will be your one and only trip there, what would you do? Where would you go? How would you get there?

In order not to waste too much time travelling, I'd think about focusing on ONE region instead of attempting to see the whole country. They could always come back for more at some point, once they're hooked. Just look how my "one and only" trip worked out for me. :p  Personally, I'd do the South first, but that depends on their preferences.

They could go there by train or bus overnight, therefor saving time and money (no hotel required that night).

Guest Guideneeded

Depends if they're after a bit of debauchery I guess, in which case a trip to Pattaya may be suffice.

Alternatively, if they want to relax, there is cheap accommodation on the island of Koh Chang. They could rent a car and drive there from BBK. Great beaches, a few bars and and some cheap places to eat.

I would say in Bangkok, the must sees are the Kings Palace, the Floating Market, Wat Arun, Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza, and JJ Market.

If in Pattaya, maybe a boat ride out to the islands, a trip to the tiger farm and the wooden temple.

Would others have must sees for the above?

And, would you venture so far as Chiang Mai on a short trip? Or, maybe just head to Hua Hin or some of the beaches closer to Bangkok?

Guest abang1961

I wish to add this information into the trip..they are a little off the usual track, a little bit of history.

Train journeys: I've done:

There is a slow train on every Saturday that brings visitors from Hualamphong to River Kwai and back for just 125THB.  This is a rather long journey (takes more than 13 hours return).. It is worth every cent (so dirt cheap) and there is enough time to see everything and more.. 

Also they may want to see the old city ruins in Ayuthaya.  There is this 3rd class (non-air-condition train, same as above, only 44THB) that leaves Hualamphone station early in the morning.  From the train station, they have to take a ferry (4THB) across the moat and probably rent a bike to explore the ruins.  It should take them about 7 hours for the return journey.

Flight journeys I've done:

They may need to check with Airasia for the inexpensive flights to either Chiangmai or Phuket.  I recommend them to look into this website: http://www.airasia.com/sg/en/home.page.

If they are unlikely to re-visit Thailand in the near future, then go to Chiangmai...There are many more interesting sights/sites (including the Golden Triangle and the Thai-Myanmar border) than just the beach.  After all, a beach is just a beach. 

When I was very much younger, some 25 years ago, I joined a bus trip to Chiangmai and beyond for a 4days/night tour.  They may check this too...

As they're straight and you (Michael) seem to think they're interested in venues like Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy, I'd add Patpong to the list, if they can manage to do Nana/Cowboy in one night. If they only have time for one of the three, I'd do Nana Plaza.

I'd add Wat Pho to the regular must-sees, as it's just next to the Grand Palace anyway. I personally wouldn't waste time with a fake floating market, but I've got to admit that it can be charming, especially to a first-time visitor.

Doing both Chiang Mai and a beach within just six days is possible, but they wouldn't really get the feel of both places, just a glimpse. If their main goal is to get as many glimpses as possible, why not. In this case I'd also pick a beach resort closer to Bangkok instead of going too far south.

I second abang's  suggestions about Ayuthaya and Kanchanaburi / River Kwai /, with 6 days at disposal and on a budget places further away will eat too much time if travelled overland or cost money if flying / CM / .

Suggest Muang Boran / Ancient City/  on outskirts of BKK as it gives good review of most interesting places in LOS.

With 6 days I'd skip Pattaya and beaches unless they are big beach lovers.

Since Grand Place ticket includes Throne Hall and Vinamek palace this is more than half day outing.

Snake farm in Bkk is a must for me each time I'm there, Wat Hualampong is practically across the street,

Both floating market  - too far and Chatuchak - too crowded,  I'd skip as well.

For sheer whoredom I' d second Nana plaza is the best but I'd do Patpong instead for variety of entertainment.

6 days is too little to try such a big country like Thailand so suggest to concentrate on BKK and close area, if they find Bangkok boring I'd be surprised 

Guest abang1961

哎呀 oops OMG, I think the visitors can do Patpong in the late night after the conference.

And if the conference is boring (don't they always drag and drag), they could skip a morning or afternoon session to see the Grand Palace (and the Jade Buddha) in it.  

They could also do this:

Hop on the FREE ferry service that brings hotel guests to Hilton and beyond from the Sapan Taksin (rhymes with Thaksin, a taboo word) and from the hotel pier, navigate themselves through the Thonburi region.  That area is very local. 

Not forgetting the infamous chaotic area of Yaowarat...and the many goldsmith shops, Chinese temples and local markets...

Guest SpermAholic

I have lived here for 13 years now and I have to ask you people, have you not been reading the news about Bangkok under seizure? All the places you mentioned ar in accessable right now. This is the 2nd day into the siezure and it could lead to Cival War. Even Ayyuthaya is NOT the place to go as traffic is also under siege.

My reccomandation is they get the kell out of Bkk a.s.a.p and go to a place that was mentined already Koh Chang. Google it.

This is probably the worst time to be visiting Thailand right now.

Tell them to BE CAREFULL !!!

I think Alexx makes very good suggestions. Travelling on the overnight sleepers is very comfortable (I have traveled from Bangkok to Nong Khai and back by train) and costs, for a first class sleeper, around 1200 to 1300 baht each way. That's the cost of a hotel room, so you effectively get to travel for free. If schedules are tight to make a flight back home, they can always fly back. They could hire motor cycles at the destination city and use that as a base to tour around.

If they are biking around then the journey is the must see rather than the destination. Suggestions are (all places I have visited, and mainline railway terminals)

Chiang Mai. Endless opportunities for touring around on bikes, either in Chiang Mai province or farther afield to Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Nan or other neighbouring provinces. Spectacular mountain scenery and many pretty little towns to discover along the way.

Nong Khai Westward through Loei to Phitsanulok and Sukothai. More spectacular mountain scenery in Loei, and the cultural sites in Phitsanulok and Sukothai (a world heritage site) to visit.

Ubon Ratchathani Following the Mekong north through Amnat Charen, Mukdahan and Nakhon Phanom. There's not too much in the way of "must sees" here but there are some beautiful little towns and villages along the way and you get to see a side of Thailand that many toursts do not.

No need to book hotels for any of these. With your own transport, you can find hotels and guesthouses wherever you go, so economically priced that it's cheaper than staying at home.

If they want to do a motorbike tour, then it would be worthwhile checking if their Bangkok hotel will store their luggage after they check out. Some will (and for nothing too) and this will save them lugging a load of unnecessary stuff around with them.

Guest trailrider

I would say in Bangkok, the must sees are the Kings Palace, the Floating Market, Wat Arun, Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza, and JJ Market.

If in Pattaya, maybe a boat ride out to the islands, a trip to the tiger farm and the wooden temple.

Would others have must sees for the above?

And, would you venture so far as Chiang Mai on a short trip? Or, maybe just head to Hua Hin or some of the beaches closer to Bangkok?

Much depends on what the interests of these guys are.  To see many good things I would head to Chiang Rai and to the White Temple, Queens mother's garden, Opium Museum etc.

In Bangkok: What you have said but I would forget the floating market and Wat Arun is closed for repair.  JJ market is only great on Saturday or Sunday

Holiday Inn Silom is not budged (but maybe someone else pays for it, if they go for a conference).

It depends: are your friends interested in history, nature, culture or want to relax?

One or two days in Pattaya is a must, my opinion. Ayuttaya would be on my list as well.

Guest SpermAholic

So much non-info on his friends to give the best answer.

If they want beaches don't cum to Pattaya

If they like islands then go to Koh Chang

Here is what they decided:

Three main places: Bangkok/ Hua Hin, Phuket

We will spend first two days in Bangkok. We will see all main places.

We will travel to Hua hin by best possible way train or bus or taxi whatsoever. We will spend couple of days in Hua hin to cover all nice places around Hua hin.

Then we will travel to Phuket. Here we will also cover phi phi island and rest all nearby places.

Anyone have any more suggestions related to the above?

I'd just say that perhaps a bike ride around Hua Hin would be great!

Straight guys can also enjoy cabaret shows (such as Tiffany or the new arena venues in Pattaya) but there's also Calypso and another in Bangkok.

If - and let's emphasize the IF - conditions allow and they feel safe going there Calypso's on the level below the lobby of the Asia Hotel. You'd take the BTS to Ratchathewi and exit the station directly into the hotel. Two showtimes each evening, and the "women" can be beautiful; something I'm not aroused by but can appreciate. I ran a bunch of images I'd taken there for my brother who thought they were stunning women. It was nice revealing none of them were women. His surprised response was "No SHIT?".

At the risk of flogging the blog (not to be confused with flogging the log, a degree I earned in my early teens) there are a couple of posts about Calypso available by clicking here and here.

I have collected ideas where to take friends (i.e. go with them) for a one week holiday in Thailand and a rough schedule is as follows:

A few days in Bangkok, including one daytrip to Samut Sakhorn and Samut Songram for the railway market, a daytrip to Ayuttaya,

one day along the eastern coast, stop in Erawan Museum and Ancient City,

two days and one night in Ko Si Chang (maybe extend by one day and one night),

one day along the eastern coast, the Chinese Temple in Ang Sila and the Buddhist hell garden in Bang Saen on our way to Pattaya,

two days one night (maybe extend by one day one night) in Pattaya (Sanctuary of Truth, Million Years Stone Park, Nong Nooch Tropical Garden).

This is biased by my own interests and places I have been to and liked.